3dirtdevils 26-Jun-17
sfiremedic 26-Jun-17
PECO 27-Jun-17
wilbur 27-Jun-17
ElkNut1 27-Jun-17
Fuzzy 27-Jun-17
Native Okie 27-Jun-17
25-Jun-17
My dad I will be going to Co. for the opening week of archery. OTC. Of course we would both like to get one. But was thinking about just splitting the cost of a tag for my dad. And I would not buy one unless my dad tags out in a reasonable enough time for me to get back to hunting after packing his out. Thought it might keep us from blowing an extra $650. I would just leave my bow at truck and call for him. Thoughts?

25-Jun-17
Nothing wrong with that idea at all! If newer elk hunters it's tough enough to take one elk as it is! Go with your gut, heart & pocketbook!

ElkNut1

25-Jun-17
Not stupid at all.

25-Jun-17
Only problem is without a tag or bow elk will be begging you to shoot them. Stay close to your dad!

26-Jun-17
Are you allowed to call or help the hunter without a tag? I am thinking in MO you need one for helping another hunter. If not go for it dad will be proud and you will smile just as big if he kills.

26-Jun-17
No. Don't do it. Buy a tag. $650 is not that much in the grand scheme of things when you consider how much we love this and how little we get to do it. Elk hunting is not the difference between having an appointment at the DMV and walking in. You don't know when/what/how it's going to happen in elk hunting. Not having a tag could be the difference between you two going home empty handed asking "what if," and a great memory for both of you. I guarantee your dad would rather you fill a tag than you both go home empty handed. If you want to save money, make your own damn sandwich.

26-Jun-17

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
My 2013 bull. I killed this elk, one of many bulls that has come into me, while I was trying to call it into my dad.

26-Jun-17
When I hunted Co. they had a law that after opening day you could not buy a tag after the season opened I bought a deer tag but when I was hunting deer a ran across some elk. I only had a deer tag so I went to town to buy an elk tag but it was a no go. Did they change the law?

26-Jun-17
I agree with Ike, buy the tag. Have killed bulls myself while calling for others. Typically, I won't shoot in that scenario unless the bull is going to bust me before my hunting partner gets a shot....but it happens. Best intentions don't always follow the script.....buy the tag.

26-Jun-17
Good for you hunting with your Dad. Many would love your dilemma but can't get time with their son/daughter/dad due to other things in life.

If one of you connects you'll both share an amazing accomplishment. Go for it! C PS: If you get one it will mean more to him than you!

26-Jun-17
Get the tag. If you want to be the full time caller for your dad, that is fine. Do what you can to get your dad an elk. But since elk don't always follow the script you should have a tag and be ready to take the shot if that is the way it plays out. When the hunt is over it will hurt alot more if you needed the tag and didn't have it, rather than having the tag and not needing it.

26-Jun-17
No way to answer this question without knowing how big a deal $650 is in your economic state. That is a personal assessment.

26-Jun-17
I agree with the others. As long as it's not going to break the bank, get the tag.

Bigdan, The CO regs say you can't buy a tag after the start of the season at license vendors and you have to go to a fish and game office. BUT, this rule doesn't apply to OTC elk archery tags.

26-Jun-17
Maybe your dad could get the E/S tag [$644] and you can get a reduced cost cow only tag [$484]

That will save $160 and you can both have a tag

26-Jun-17
I agree with Bou. If the money is a huge deal, go with your plan. If it's not a huge deal, buy the tag.

26-Jun-17
As said earlier, I have killed several bull, including my biggest bull with a bow, when calling for someone else. All of them I was within 40 or so yards from my partner.

26-Jun-17
Agree with others. Buy a tag.

26-Jun-17
But the tag. Even if $650 is a lot for you trips are more than just the investment. In the event you get lucky and hit prefect conditions you will regret not having one.

26-Jun-17
Great gesture, and a sure sign that your in it for the right reasons. (Rare these days) I would get the tag though if you guys really want the best opportunity to get one to take home. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have bulls in my lap calling for one of my guys. Good hunting.

26-Jun-17
I would buy the tag for all the above reasons. Plus running to town can be a real pain and take a whole day away from your hunt depending on where and how you are hunting.

26-Jun-17
Its simple. If you are ok with your only opportunity coming when you aren't hunting, go with your plan. Both of you killing would be beating the odds by a fair bit. But, if it will haunt you...buy the tag.

Everyone is different. Having a bull walk by at 20 yards but then whirling and leaving before your Dad gets a shot is certainly possible. Some people will file that under "Great Memories" and others might file it under "Regrets".

26-Jun-17
Buy the tag. When you get into elk there will be plenty of opportunities for both of you. However you can't tell the elk to "hold on a minute" while I run to town to get a tag!

26-Jun-17
I agree with buying the tag. I have called for others trying to get them their first bull and one time I had 5 different shot opportunities at bulls within 20 yards before they finally shot a cow. Stuff happens.

26-Jun-17
Buy the tag. I believe cnelk has killed two elk within ten minutes and I think he doubled on a calling set with his son. Like others have said, it's not likely but if lightning strikes you will wish you had a tag.

26-Jun-17
A good story in this month's Bugle about airing on the side of caution and taking hunting equipment/license along on a trip with low odds of success, and both hunters tagged out. Buy the tag, or do the reduced fee option above. Alternately, if archery deer is in season, see if those tags are cheaper and buy one.

26-Jun-17
Each tag is it's own opportunity. The only way to "blow the money" is to not even use it, ever, for the entire season...

26-Jun-17
How many days do you have to hunt? What important to you, the experience or the kill? Harvest odds are 10% or less. I'd probably not buy the tag, use the extra money to buy nicer gear for your future hunts. Getting one elk on a week long trip for the average guy is a huge success and you'll both be on cloud 9. But like others have said, its a personal thing, it's just money... but remember 9 out of 10 guys eat tag soup. Have fun, whatever you do!

26-Jun-17
I like your plan. When I go elk hunting with my son(s) I will not carry a bow. They have limited time to hunt, and I can't imagine shooting one as the caller while they are hunting. Not only would I wonder if they would of eventually got the shot, but to take up one or two days of their hunt to work on or pack out an elk is not what I would want to do.

26-Jun-17
Link is correct. Several times we have a multiple kill day (3).

This year our goal is 4 elk in one day ... right Midwest and Native Oakie?

26-Jun-17
buy the tag.

26-Jun-17
Not sure of your dads physical condition but sometimes my dad will want to sleep in, skip an afternoon hunt or "take it easy for a day". There is a ton of different scenarios that you would kick yourself for not having a tag.

26-Jun-17
Good Karma

26-Jun-17
Thanks for all of the input. I guess I have 2 months to decide. Good Luck to everyone this year!

26-Jun-17
The tag part is up to you. A person makes their decision and then lives with it. If it weren't a financial hardship I'd buy one.

My only problem is with the question...... whenever I've used some form of it Coach has always been pretty quick to pull the trigger on an answer..... enough to make ya flinch when you see it.....

26-Jun-17
Buy it. During the first week they are likely to be more scattered and less bunched up. But, if you stumble into a Bull building a harem or, already has one, he likely won't be the only bull there. Plus, the cows are real vulnerable to cow calls early on. By the end of the week, if pressure has the elk concentrated and you find them, it can get Primos Truth like quickly. So, if you can swing it, buy it. God Bless

26-Jun-17
First week of season in Colorado the Elk aren't gonna bugle much from my experience. There not pressured as much first week but if your hunting public land they are call shy. With the info you have given I would get two tags and hunt separately to increase odds. m2c

26-Jun-17
Definitely buy the tag. Hunt with your dad, you won't regret it.

27-Jun-17
Get the tag, for all of the reasons stated.

27-Jun-17
In the whole realm of things $650.00 is chump change. Buy the tag and don't look back. No buyers remorse allowed, elk hunting is an expensive sport. Push your chips into the center of the table and go kill one.

27-Jun-17
Ksrancher, it sounds like you nor your dad have taken an archery elk? Too, if you have 5-6 actual days to elk hunt your odds are fairly slim to be concerned about filling two tags plus the chore of packing an elk out. If you have 10 days or more then your odds will raise but still a tough road to hoe if fairly inexperienced. Consider removing some of the pressure you will feel if both of you have tags at the same time, concentrate on helping your Dad have a great hunt & memory & avoid the need to feel rushed. Any elk is a trophy but I'd work towards getting him a legal bull over a cow, of course choice will be yours.

My son & I have elk hunted & called in 100's of elk over the years, it is indeed rare to kill two elk the same day or during the same encounter on OTC elk hunts. Yes it can happen, it's about as common as a hole in one, don't think it's a common occurence! (grin) No matter your decision you guys have an awesome hunt, build those memories to last a lifetime & take lots of photos!

ElkNut1

27-Jun-17
do it. you won't believe how good it feels

27-Jun-17
Multiple elk down in a day, that's the goal cnelk! I've packed for cnelk on a multiple elk day. Started out me leaving home to meet him in camp mid day. Not an hour after I arrived we were finishing quartering the second elk and packed both out. Hell, I even hunted that evening after that!

That said, I'll take one and be the happiest guy on earth!

• Sitka Gear