loprofile 05-Jul-17
buddyb 05-Jul-17
MNRazorhead 05-Jul-17
76aggie 10-Jul-17
Greg Kush 02-Aug-17
Jim B 02-Aug-17
dittigke 03-Aug-17
26-Jun-17
Haven't Hunted with a recurve before, and thinking about toting it for moose this year. I know dragging around my longbow it was insanely annoying without brush buttons as everything gets caught in there. Are recurves any better, or is it basically assumed that a guy should use brush buttons? Who uses them, why or why not? Thanks guys.

26-Jun-17
Got them on my frankenbow.they help guiet the bow some and keeps stuff from getting caught,and they look old school cool.

26-Jun-17
I don't use them on my Super Kodiak. Just musk ox fur balls for silencing. I don't miss them either. I used them on my bows when I started out in the 60's.

26-Jun-17
They do help keep brush and weeds out from between your limb and string on a recurve. I use them on recurves. Helps a lot when you are out tromping around to keep stuff from hanging up and jerking your bow out of your hand as you walk through the brush.

26-Jun-17
Any recurve can get hung up on limbs, briars, grass, etc. I use them on some of my hunting bows just to prevent getting snagged, not for noise reduction. Like Woods Walker I started using them in the 60s. They were soft rubber then. Today some vendors sell ones that are a harder rubber. I don't care for those.

26-Jun-17
As WW and Phil said, had them on in the 60s and really find no reason for them, going thorough brush it doesn't matter if recurve, longbow or wheel you are going to pick something up. Been beating the brush on the ground for awhile and just except it like getting burs in your crotch, just have to deal with it.

26-Jun-17
They assist dampening string noise too... I use them on my recurves, and hybrid reflex/deflex bows, but not on my straight longbow...

26-Jun-17
I use one on my top limbs only. It is sweet for when I hang my bow on a bow hook. W/o one the hook can creep between the string and limb and make the stealth lifting of the bow not so stealth.

26-Jun-17
Have you tried unstringing the bow and using a string keeper??

With the bow in a unstrung position but keeping the alignment in place you should be able to string it up before sitting in the blind or the tree stand. If doing a spot and stalk, more difficult. Depends how far away the game is when you see it....

Could also drop the whole thing in a case while packing into your hunting spot. Used to do that with a bow and a light case I could slip it out while strung

Takedowns can be packed easily, if you aren't planning on shooting it on the way to the hunting spot..

26-Jun-17
Ya do not want stick tamers as they ad weight to the limbs and it will change your tune. Brush buttons are fine and add a bit of weight but towards the string ends so not too much of effect on tune. They also do not help to silence a bow as some believe, they actually can make a bow a bit louder. There are trade offs to everything and I myself do not like brush buttons and I drag my bow through some nasty cover ecsp. bunny hunting. Get some and see what ya think. You will only be out a few bucks. Shawn

26-Jun-17
I don't use the buttons on my longbows but like them for my recurves. I prefer the soft ones, they quiet string slap for me, keep brush out within reason, and I like them for keeping my bow loose on my bow hook so the string doesn't get pinched between the string and limb.

26-Jun-17
I used them back in the day with recurves but stopped messing with them a long time ago. Haven't really found a need for them. They can help a little with string slap but since I started serving the string with yarn string slap is less of a problem. Definintely not needed for a longbow.

27-Jun-17
I've used the Stiktamers for a few years now. Much prefer them over brush buttons. I won't go back to the brush buttons.

27-Jun-17
Recurves are way way worse about snagging brush and holding onto it and the one time I tried brush buttons, they didn't stay on long, way to noisy, but the Bow Jax String Silencers worked pretty good and weren't as noisy!!!

27-Jun-17
If your out hunting Moose, have something as it would be a shame to have brush, willow hang up when your raising to draw for that "shot". Good Luck...

27-Jun-17
Thanks for the opinions guys. From what I see out there it sounds like the "old soft" brush buttons are the good ones. Anyone know where to get them?

27-Jun-17
Maybe Lancaster Archery or 3 rivers, both online.

27-Jun-17
I agree with Joey Ward on the Stiktamers being much better than the brush buttons. They do cause some problems when you unstring your bow, but I keep my recurve strung the entire hunting season so the bit of hassle is worth it. I especially like the Stiktamers for hunting from a stand if you are hanging your bow on a hook because they prevent your recurve from getting hung up the hook.

28-Jun-17
I've had the buttons affect my tune. I don't bother with them....just wrap my string where it touches the limb with yarn.

Sure it gets hooked on something a couple times a hunt, I just unhook it.

02-Jul-17
I used to use them on my recurves but not any more and I haven't missed them. I do occasionally get brush pinched in my string but don't consider it a big deal to clear.

03-Jul-17
Those stick tamers seem like you better have bow completely tuned before you put them on right? i assume adhesive on those is a one time application so if you put it on but later want to change brace height they will be in wrong spot and will have to get new ones

04-Jul-17
IslandSnapShooter--that is actually another thing I like about having them on my Martin Mamba. (This is the only bow I use them on.) If I notice the string is starting to do more than just touch the Stik Tamer and it is slightly denting into it, then I know the brace height has come in a bit and I need to put a couple of twists in the string.

05-Jul-17
Regardless of one's preference there is absolutely no doubt that they reduce the number of incidences where a twig gets caught between the string and the bow limb.

05-Jul-17
I started using them in the 1970s and still use them on all of my recurves. They do help with keeping most of the brush and grasses from getting caught up between your bow and the string. I prefer the softer ones if you can find any. Plus I think they look Kool.

05-Jul-17
I've found that thinner, fast-flight and other synthetic strings tend to cut through them after a period of time. They do work.

10-Jul-17
Like others, I used them back in the 60's when I first started hunting with a bow. I do not miss them either. From time to time, you will invariably snag something but I always felt that was just part of the deal. You will snag no matter on occasion.

02-Aug-17

Greg Kush's Link
A pretty cool tip came out today on making your own brush buttons from a wine bottle cork.

02-Aug-17
I tried them first,in the mid-60's and they increased noise,regardless of position.I've tried them a few times since with the same results,regardless how soft they were.No brush buttons for me.If you are sitting or still hunting,it shouldn't be an issue.If you are just covering ground,you might get hung a time or two-no big deal.I've managed to live without them for over 50 years.I won't do anything to increase bow noise and don't like to add any more weight to the string than I have to.That stik tamer does look interesting.If it's made out of the material it appears to be,I could see that working.

03-Aug-17
i use them on all of my recurves, they help keep the junk out, quiet the bow and have a minimal impact on tune and speed and they are cheap, i keep a set on my spare string as well.

• Sitka Gear