DanaC 27-Jun-17
deerhaven 27-Jun-17
DL 27-Jun-17
JL 27-Jun-17
Woodwork 29-Jun-17
spyder24 01-Jul-17
Genesis 01-Jul-17
26-Jun-17
I wear glasses and having trouble with double vision with pin focus shooting my bow. Help appreciated

26-Jun-17
Try a verifier peep, might just be the answer. Google Specialty Archery.

26-Jun-17

Teeton's Link
That's what my problem was,, I got a very low power pair of glasses off ebay you can get them shipped from $4 to $10 bucks. I just started a thread on this today 6-26-17.. I got a pair of .75 power reading glasses. It' cleared my pin,, but the target is a little blurry. But I'm shooting better.. A verifier is just a low power to higher power glass thats in a peep, just like reading glasses. Specialy achery says that if you have eye glasses that a verifier "may" not work. I will let you know in a few days if I can shoot a verifier with my glasses on. I'm going to have a friend hold my reading glasses that I just got up by my peep why I wear my regular glasses. Drycreek above say it can be done so I'm going to try it... Heres a link to my thread from earlier today.. http://forums2.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=463993&messages=2&forum=2

26-Jun-17
Is it possible you have cataracts?? I did and was seeing 3 birds in the sky when it was only one. I had a hard time seeing the peep to get it lined up on pin.

26-Jun-17
Just in time fellas. Thanks guys. God Bless

26-Jun-17
That's why I went to a single pin

26-Jun-17
My pin went from blurry to seeing 2 pins. I did, OK.... just used the same pin (upper right for me) all the time. Then it went to 3 pins. Too much. Went to optometrist(?) and he said astigmatism(?) I'd been wearing reading glasses for some time up close, far wasn't great, but wasn't too bad I didn't think. He wanted to issue progressives until I told him my main reason for being there and the main reason I didn't want progressives. So I went with a two glasses option.

One pin, a touch fuzzy but good. Broke an arrow the first session with my new glasses. Life is good again. Took a bit to learn using my binos, but my far vision is better. But when I'm working hard hunting they can fog up, which is my main bitch about em..... if you don't include distortion looking out the sides.... but overall the best thing I've done for my archery was have my eyes checked and getting glasses.

On the fence with lasik.... at 61 I'm hearing age issues with the surgery creeping up. Several folks I know that had it done 10 years ago I see are now back to wearing glasses. Just doing my research now. We shall.... um... see?

27-Jun-17
Go bare bow!

27-Jun-17
Lasik will fix your main eyesight problem, like near-sightedness, but you may still need 'reading' glasses for close-up work. As you get older you'll get 'fuzziness' as an early stage of cataracts. Might or might not get worse, still sucks. (Had this whole conversation with my optometrist recently!)

27-Jun-17
I was in same boat as TD was in it sounds like. I did the low power reading glasses which worked well especially for indoor shooting. Messed with the lens in the peep which worked well but I could see some issues with both these methods when hunting in inclement weather. Finally broke down and went to a optometrist that I have known for a long time. He talked me into trying out some multifocal contact lens. There is a learning curve to wearing contacts I have to admit, but with a little practice it becomes easy to pop them in and out even in a backpack tent. I don't wear them all the time just the days I shoot, when I go fishing in order to tie knots, or any activity where I use to have to use my reading glasses often.

No fogged up, broken, or lost lenses or glasses at a critical time. My eyes are as good if not better than they ever have been when I choose to wear the contacts. I couldn't be happier.

My wife had lasik a few years back and she has done very well with that for 15 years or more I might add. I would have considered that but it was not an option for my problem which was simply older eyes.

Good luck with whatever you choose it is a frustrating issue to work thru for sure but most I know work our a solution that works for them.

Mike

27-Jun-17
I had that problem too. I ended up getting lenses that had a wider area of correction. I had a pair that were a year old that were giving me fits. I was in wall mart and talked to someone their and they said to try getting their expensive lenses and that should cure it. On typical lenses the correction is centered for looking straight ahead if you have a strong correction. You have to move your head to see clearly instead of just moving your eyes. Talk to an optometrist so the can explain it. It's frustrating, I know.

27-Jun-17
Both of my eyes have/had cataracts. I did the surgery on the right eye about 3 years ago, had some surgical problems and held off on doing the left eye. The right eye sees pretty clear and bright now. The left eye sees ok but everything has a brownish/yellowish tint to it. It's like you have a light motor oil colored lens on your left eye while the right eye is clear and bright. That is the cataract in the left eye is doing that. I might do the left eye next year to marry up with the right.

29-Jun-17
Thanks to all of you. Verifier seems reasonable enough to try. I do shoot with a single pin, can't imagine a five pin setup! Shooting every day in spite of vision. September is just right around the corner and both my son and I drew deer/elk tags this year. Good luck to all of you and thanks again.

01-Jul-17
I started using a verifier last year. It did help me to shoot tighter groups. While hunting you do have to figure out a way to keep water away from your peep when it rains. I was lucky last year because it did not rain much while I was hunting in Colorado and Montana.

01-Jul-17
Help COULD be coming for bow hunters!!EVO6 is an anti disulfide eye drop that is showing promise in reversing presbyopia.Phase 3 trials to begin in 2018.Novartis(huge) purchased the small Fort Worth start up Encore in January to acquire the rights to EVO6 so big money is there to finish the push through FDA. Other companies are looking at other pharmacological solutions that COULD bring pin clarity in the form of an eye drop.Wouldn't it be great if some tv personality would look into the camera in the near future and say "just give me a second".... Lay the noggin back ,instill a drop in each eye, and slay that Ol Mossy Horn 6 pointer looking dead at him. Food for thought

• Sitka Gear