09-Jul-17
GBTG 11-Jul-17
Rut Nut 11-Jul-17
Moben 11-Jul-17
bowbender77 11-Jul-17
kokosing 14-Jul-17
Chris S 15-Jul-17
27-Jun-17
Most everyone who's hunted long enough has a drawer full of items that when purchased seemed like a good idea at the time. As time went by you start thinking, "What the heck was I thinking when I wasted money on this??"

Mine #1 item of this type occurred about 15 years ago when my "high tech" phase peaked. It was one of those infrared "game finders".

When I first got it I was like a kid at Christmas. I took it out on my back deck and pointed at my horses out in the field. YEP! Got a reading! This thing is gong to work REALLY well! It wasn't until late that fall when I got a chance to actually use it on a deer I shot.

I arrowed a buck on the edge of a CRP field. It ran about 80 yards into the field and fell over and died. I could see where it fell, although it was under the tops of the grass/weeds. Ah ha, I thought, now I can see how this thing works! I got into the field and started sweeping the area. I started getting consistent heat readings but I soon realized that they were taking me AWAY from the deer (which by now was only about 50 yards away) and towards a tree lined fence row about 100 yards away that was in the opposite direction! I ignored that and started heading towards the deer. By now the deer was in plain view and STILL no real readings, and this was from an animal that had been dead for about 15 minutes. I wasn't until I was darn near on top of it that I got much of any readings at all.

Needless to say, I called Cabelas the next day and they offered to refund my money in full. I told them I rather get a credit which I used to buy a rangefinder (which I still have). The next time Cabelas put out a hunting catalog they specified that the heat seeking game finders were NOT refundable, so I guess I wasn't the only one.

It was after that I realized that the best "game finder" I could ever have was between my ears!

27-Jun-17
I don't remember the model, but a blood tracking flashlight. It was supposed to make blood practically glow and therefore easy to see.......it didn't.

27-Jun-17
The baffle thingee that was suppose to keep your water from swishing around in your nalgene bottle. HATED IT!

27-Jun-17
x2 Backpack Hunter. I really thought it was going to be the cat's meow but it didn't help at all as you mentioned.

27-Jun-17
I grew up poor. Been frugal by necessity. Got older and, finally started making big money to be able to afford the "Plush" things and just couldn't make myself do it. Life happened and, now I'm no longer making big money. Just enough to get by. So, I guess I'll never have a drawer like that. And, I have no complaints for not being a fooled sucker!

28-Jun-17
Scentblocker suit about 15 years ago. Realized any benefit I got was from showering and changing into clean unscented clothes before I got in the stand. That plus the wind:)

28-Jun-17
Scent eliminator spray. I can't believe I used to hose down with that crap in the cold every morning.

28-Jun-17
I'm not sure which brand scent eliminator spray you tried, but overall I think there is benefit to the stuff. Just spray some in a smelly boot and your own nose can tell it works.

Worst gadget I tried was the blood trailing light...I think Primos started that fad.

28-Jun-17
When I first got into bow hunting I bought one of the old school rangefinders with the split image. Shorty after that bushnell came out with their first one. I have a 2x3' cardboard box full of junk that I bought over the years and just threw away. Camp clothes is another thing I was a sucker for but for some reason over the last 20 years most of it shrunk so bad I can't come close to wearing it. :p. Good thing I'm not a bass fisherman. Those shiny lures catch more fisherman than fish.

28-Jun-17
It doesn't matter if they make your boots smell less offensive. The purpose of them is not to make boots less offensive to the human nose. Deer still smell you when you're upwind of them no matter how much of it you bathe in.

28-Jun-17
The Butt Out gadget.

28-Jun-17
A string tracker and fancy camo

28-Jun-17
bentshaft, did that thing work at all? It really looked like it worked in the commercials...

28-Jun-17
Had a string tracker too. Shot a bird one year that took off flying. Felt like I had just snagged a carp the way the line was screaming out of that thing.

28-Jun-17
Ok I'll play, I got talked I to buying a bow bat. It's supposed to take the place of a backpack. I still have it if anybody is interested, just saying.

28-Jun-17
Remember the treestand buddy? It was a blowup doll hunter that you would leave in your stand when you weren't there. This way, the deer would get use to seeing someone in the tree and not be alarmed when it was really you and not the doll. Seriously...and no, I never bought one.

28-Jun-17
Ok, i wasnt going to, but i have to admit..... i once spent a full season sitting in a buddies stand everytime that he wasnt. For free......

28-Jun-17
How about the "Deer-View Mirror"? I never bought one, they were THAT stupid!

28-Jun-17
I have always been a gadget guy, but other than the scent killer, I haven't really bought any of the gimmicky bowhunting stuff. I actually think the butt-out tool works good, and if you follow the directions it's fast!

Scar.

28-Jun-17
Anybody that was disappointed in the string tracker can send them to me! I only use it about 10% of the time but for turkeys and deer hunting in the rain they are great. I shot through the first buck with it and the line screamed off. It screamed similar to when a big tuna bites and dumps the line off your reel.

I've bought several deer and elk calls that were simply junk. That seems to be where a lot of people waste their hunting dollars.

28-Jun-17
Evidently, anything I purchased from a company owned by Bill Busbice is the dumbest purchase I have made.

28-Jun-17
A 3 pack of Rages.....I said it.

28-Jun-17
"What the heck was I thinking when I wasted money on this??"... That's what a BUNCH of folks said (but won't admit) after buying scent-loc clothing. :)

28-Jun-17
A 3 pack of Rages..... and few other expandables... and skunk cover scent.

The cough muffler works. I had been recovering from long term pneumonia and allergies a few seasons back and the thing kept me quite on stand.

Still use it during turkey hunting at that can be an allergy season too.

28-Jun-17
What one person thinks is dumb another may not. I've stayed away from most of those products. I did purchase a scent-loc one piece suite but I actually liked the lightweight suit for early fall whether the scent-loc worked or not. I still use it. I still tried to control my scent the best I could and hunted the right wind. I've never used a string tracker but my brother used one all the time way back when and I've see it work several times. The butt out tool, that flat out works great on dressing a deer in my opinion. I've used a couple of the early mechanicals that came out and regretting that.

28-Jun-17
I joined the North American Hunting Club, top tier membership. What a sham.

28-Jun-17

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Woods Walker's embedded Photo
These came out when I first started bowhunting. Even at that young and dumb age I knew better!!!

28-Jun-17
Those are cool and collectable! Those are better than the pizza wheel cutter broad head.

28-Jun-17
You mean Rage's grandpa? ;-)

28-Jun-17
Long before trail cams. Those little trail timers thingy's. You tied a string across a trail and when something pulled the string, it would capture the time. If you didn't check it soon enough and reset it, it would kill the batteries.

28-Jun-17
Ah yes.....batteries. I stopped using anything for hunting that requires a battery or a micro-chip (or heaven forbid BOTH!!) years ago, except a flashlight.

28-Jun-17
I had the later version of the trail timer. You could use a jack to connect it to a camera. Break the string, take a picture. I remember thinking "if only someone could figure out how to make this one weather proof unit". Someone did and now I own half a dozen.

28-Jun-17
JL... I used those little plastic string timers on my first bear hunt in Ontario in 1995. My buddy and I bought maybe a half dozen of them.... I think they were only 10 bucks or so a piece. We tied the string to one of the logs on the bait piles with hopes that the timer would tell us what time the baits were getting hit. I don't remember getting one piece of usable information off one of those timers. They always seemed to fail to work properly... That was the last time I used them. I did use string trackers on my bow for awhile.... and they got me headed in the right direction on a few blood trails before the string broke. But I also remember my string getting caught in the brush on my way out to my stand a few times.... and not realizing it until I had 50 yards of line tangled on the path behind me.... ha...

28-Jun-17
Baker tree stand those were fun.

28-Jun-17
I don't know if I bought a butt out tool or was given one but it works fantastic!

I bought a Baker Tree stand once

I ordered stickers, beanie, and XL shirt from Magnus all arrived in a 8x11 Manila envelope stickers were shot the beanie barely fit the neighbors 3 year old kid. As Serb said when I showed him the shirt it's an extra large alright if your a Gautamaulin!!!!

Use to buy skunk and grouse scent as cover scent.

Bought a fishing pole that remembered how long your last cast was so you could throw into the same spot each time. Lol it was a close out sale paid 5.00 for rod and real.

28-Jun-17
Hoyt

28-Jun-17
Woods Walker, I took the bait on that infrared game finder about 20 years ago as well. Had a bull elk down within 30 yards, and couldn't get a reading on it.

Live and learn....

28-Jun-17
Utah bonus points. Have yet to use them even once

28-Jun-17
Gerber blood trailing headlamp.

Scent Lock suit

Thread trail timer

Any call that claims to make an "estrus" sound

My first wife

28-Jun-17
I had bought one of those bow mounted bushnell range finders about 20 years ago and paid well over 100$. It just had a giant perp hole to look through and you couldn't tell what you were aiming at, worked ok at 15-20 yards but past that was useless.

28-Jun-17
I've had the trail thread, bow string tracker, the hanging peep that always aligned, hoyt smoke, doe in estrus incense, golden key answer release, and most likely a few more I can't think of at the moment. I shot a rage once, thankfully I didn't buy it.

I'll never regret buying my scent blocker suit, 1st year w/ it shot my 200" buck. Second year another near booner. I don't attribute my success to the suit but that 200" buck came in dead down wind. After owning the 3d suit I realized how effective 3d camo was, it was also nice and lightweight so I could hunt in next to nothing on warmer days.

28-Jun-17
I'm ashamed to admit that I bought not one scent-loc suit, but actually 2 :)

I knew it didn't work. I'd fart on stand and could smell the fart. . . . Those were the lean years, I had no clue how to kill the type of deer I wanted to kill and grasped at any perceived advantage. I still don't know how to kill those deer, but at least I save my money :)

28-Jun-17
mechanical broadheads scent blocking clothes/spray

28-Jun-17
ZIM HAHAHA X2

I never bought one, but that acorn cruncher thing that HS came out with a few years back is the dumbest thing I have ever laid eyes on.

28-Jun-17
A hang on treestand and portable sticks.....I don't like heights and piss my pants every time I try to put it up, even with a lineman's belt. I stick to my climber.

Some deer dragging device that hooks into your safety belt.

Doe estrous piss.

28-Jun-17
Alright, I'll take the walk of shame. I bought a HECS suit when they first came out. The first time I wore it I stalked in on a doe, wind in my face the doe looked in my direction and bolted. I thought to myself, hey this isn't how it worked on TV. "A fool and his money"

28-Jun-17
Lou, you bought your first wife? That was your problem. You should have baited her. Much cheaper.

28-Jun-17

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
If you bought either of these, you're a big dummy.

28-Jun-17
Still steamin semen! One of those impulse buys "ah what the heck."

"Anything that makes a does estrus sound" Jeepers, you're missing out man, I've called in more deer using an estrus can than cancer.

28-Jun-17
What can are you using? I used mine this year "thinking Primos" and I actually think it worked.

28-Jun-17
Gotta be the Gillie suit:)

28-Jun-17
I've called in plenty of muleys and whitetails using the Can, along with various mouth calls. Same with elk so-called "estrus" sounds. But the supposed "estrus" sounds are a specific type of bleat and mew, and the calls only produce it if used correctly. (I personally believe it's more of a contact call..) The whole "estrus" call thing is used more as a marketing tool by people who sell calls and DVDs.

A number of biologists and elk researchers disagree that cow elk make any sort of specific "estrus" call at all. I can't say for whitetails, but I've been around a whole lot of mule deer at close range during the rut for many years and have never ever heard one make a sound like the Can produces, yet I call in bucks and does with it all the time.

Not sure if does and elk cows are coming in to hump the "hot" doe or cow making the supposed "estrus" sounds, but maybe there are lesbian muleys and elk too!

28-Jun-17
My dad has had luck w/ the can in the WT woods, I have not. I have heard bleats but nothing to the length and volume of the can.

28-Jun-17
Got to be a compound bow, hands down

28-Jun-17
"Baker tree stand those were fun."

And also the BEST laxative money can buy when they start sliding down the tree!

28-Jun-17
The next 4 compound bows after the PSE. They all shoot excellent and I took game with each one of them. In hindsight I now realize there was no need for the extra 4 bows when the first one did the job. Marketing is a powerful tool which creates addiction. Live and learn. These are the chronograph results using the same hunting arrow, a 29.75 inches Easton Full Metal Jacket with 125gr fixed blade broadhead, and 3 inch Blazer vanes. All bows are set at 70 lbs draw weight with 29 inches draw length:

PSE X-Force - 290fps

Mathews Z7 - 260 fps

Mathews Solocam - 251 fps

Mathews NoCam - 250 fps

Hoyt Defiant - 266 fps

28-Jun-17
PECO.....me too ! In my defense I was still young and dumb.

And I do have a pair of overalls and a shirt in some brand of scent control. Bought that when I was middle aged and dumb.

Now, I'm retired and dumb.....and broke !

28-Jun-17
Even if it were 100fps slower I'd still take a hoyt or mathews over the pse.

28-Jun-17
I honestly don't know. The dumbest I can think of are lure/cover scents. They are definitely no where near 100% effective, but can be slightly helpful in some situations if not over-used. I typically don't buy what most would consider "gadgets".

Actually, probably the dumbest was a compound bow with a draw length several inches too long. You do these types of things when you are a kid and don't know any better.

28-Jun-17
Sixlomaz, What are the brace heights for each of those bows?

28-Jun-17
Jaq did your first wife make those estrus calls haha ?

28-Jun-17
"String tracker". Way back when I was young and stupid.... one of those containers that you pee into.

28-Jun-17
Scent killer/cover scent. Blood trailing flashlight(in my defense, that one was gifted to me). Any arrow with HIT technology-what a joke. Reminds me of deep six. A solution to a non existent problem.

28-Jun-17
To many to list after 50 years of bowhunting, there have been many, some still in the woods!!!! But its good to see that I have not been the only one!!!

28-Jun-17
I once bought these scent sticks that you stuck in the ground and then lit with a match or lighter and then place a bucket over them with holes drilled in it for the scent to escape. Not only was I shocked at how much light a cigarette lighter puts out at "O dark thirty" but so were several deer that were in the woodlot.

28-Jun-17
I have some little string trackers that fit inside the arrow shaft. You drill a hole at the end of the (aluminum) shaft and pull the thin monofilament through, attach it to a tiny piece of Velcro that then catches on a patch of Velcro on the bow rest.

It actually worked in practice. But when I shot an elk with it the Velcro didn't catch so all it was was a weighted arrow shaft..

I still have two somewhere. Believe it or not, pretty sure it was called the "Spider Tracker" (not to be confused with the infamous "Tracking Spider".

28-Jun-17
Cheap cotton clothes, low end arrow shafts, the harnesses that come with tree stands.

28-Jun-17
My dumbest - an electronic deer call. Thought it would be great to get the deers attention away from 'my' tree but nothing ever came to the call. But, I am a fan of the Butt Out

29-Jun-17
I've wasted money on new bows when I didn't need them. Wasted money on scent control garbage, and on expensive waterproof camo gear. Worst thing I've bought though, has to be cow elk calls - occasionally they do work, but most of the time they just scare off elk for me.

29-Jun-17
Colorado elk preference points. Just dropped 22 years of applications on a tag that I am pretty sure won't compare to at least 10 elk tags that I have had in the meantime...

Maybe preference/bonus points across the board.

29-Jun-17
Yup, scent elimination spray. On those cold mornings, it never worked for me, and many times it was frozen solid and couldn't be used anyways. LOL.

Have a funny story about the string trackers. A buddy of mine in the UP of MI used one because he was color blind. He also hunted over bait which is legal and common practice up there. He arrowed a spike buck and backed out and called myself and a buddy to help him find it. Well the string paid out just fine, the problem was a bunch of deer came into his bait pile by the time we went out to look. The string was crisscrossed through the woods in every direction. It was hilarious. The buck left a great blood trail so no big deal, we found him quickly.

29-Jun-17
Cotton hunting clothes, what a waste...

29-Jun-17
Skunk Screen

29-Jun-17
Jaquomo, If you like the can estrous call take it apart and just use the piece that slides inside with your mouth. You can control how loud and it actually sounds way way better. Works better for me and I can put it in my pocket.

29-Jun-17
Thanks - may try that although I never use it anymore since I discovered the Lohman's Kmeer Deer bite call. That little thing is golden, the only doe call I use anymore.

29-Jun-17
I was worried about hurting some (delicate) feelings but I see Fuzzy already did so.

Compound bow. I consider that period of time lost years, never to be relived.

29-Jun-17
Baker slim Jim,was like sitting on an amusement ride.still got the safety belt.

29-Jun-17
Compound and Rifle. Both were a waste of hard earned $ .

Compound was used for one season, and killed two deer. Rifle hasn't been used, except for the range.

I'll stick to my longbow, and continue enjoying the hunt more.

29-Jun-17
Split-image rangefinder. It changed as the temperature changed. Good things lasers came along soon thereafter. Camo knives. Good for the sellers though; who knows how many were put down "just for a second" during nighttime field dressing and never found!

29-Jun-17
Can call, I have never had so many deer run, snort an stomp the 1 /2 dozen times I have used it.

"Long before trail cams. Those little trail timers thingy's. You tied a string across a trail and when something pulled the string, it would capture the time. If you didn't check it soon enough and reset it, it would kill the batteries." We used to tie thread on trails back in the 70s before those things came out. Wouldn't tell you the time but definitely if the trail was in use and direction of travel. I think I still have some of the battery, timer versions, last battery went out after 15-20 years....

Plenty of deer calls were junk too. Either sounded like a Machaw or clown whistle. Now I just use my own vocals, or just stay quiet ( that usually work the best)..

29-Jun-17
I have always worked very hard for the money I have so I have never bought a single item that turned into junk!

29-Jun-17
Hey Mike,,, I'll take your rifle if you don't want it :*)

29-Jun-17
My first year hunting we bought those skunk scent wafers........what a dumb azz

30-Jun-17
I once owned an Oneida and scent blocking garments. My self-respect barely survived the latter.

30-Jun-17
So I never bought one because I was a young kid and had no money. But I remember an ad in one of the archery magazines back in the early '80's for a "double arrow rest." Could shoot two arrows at the same time.....

30-Jun-17
Nothing hunting related for me but I did get suckered into buying the Banjo Minnow. A friend of mine told me it was the greatest thing he had ever seen so I bought the kit. Later after having mine for awhile he admitted that he never bought one but was sold on the commercial.

30-Jun-17
PSE Brute 3 broadheads...plastic junk.

30-Jun-17
bentshaft, did that thing work at all? It really looked like it worked in the commercials...

Not for me. I bought it to help my son, didn't work for him either.

30-Jun-17
I think I need a Bubba Blade.

30-Jun-17
HECS. Cough silencer. Just kiddin Wouldn't be that dumb!

30-Jun-17
I bought a tub of doe urine gel. You take the entire tub out and open up the cover. I do have to say the first time I used it I saw 13 bucks. I even had a couple walk right past it. Not sure if it worked or not.

Also tried a string tracker back in 83. Hit giant buck, what looked like perfect shot, string peeled off for 50 yards and than came out. The rain came and never found the buck.

Scent lock suit. Kept it in the smoke filled cabin and put it on just before heading out the door. LOL

30-Jun-17
Great thread!

30-Jun-17
I just read through the whole thread and agree with many. When I turned 18, my mom gifted me a lifetime membership to the North American Hunting Club. I was mad when I got it and am still mad today at the waste of money, but I could never tell her that. Its the thought that counts.

The worst I bought myself is probably a cotton beanie that got real cold when it got wet.

30-Jun-17
Quick draw: I thought of that too, although I never owned one. I was trying to find the old ad on Google search. I remember seeing for it in one of the hunting magazines many years ago. I remember them touting...."Endorsed by Art Laha, pioneer Wisconsin bowhunter!"

I figure old Art was in need of some cash at that time!

01-Jul-17
Bought a PSE x force in 2007 best bow ever owned still haven't bought a new one been fightiing the wants for another PSE.Heck, black rack, rub line slim. I laugh at all that crap.

01-Jul-17
This is off subject.bought a infrared motion activated squirrel repeller.when motion is detected,its supposed to make a sonic sound and scare the critters away.well,got about a hundred critters that parade past the gizmo everyday and snicker at it.

01-Jul-17
They forgot to read the instructions on how it works! Someone needs to teach them how to read.....deer too! Then they'd know what they're supposed to do and hunting them would be so much more efficient.

01-Jul-17
Butt out tool.

01-Jul-17
Early on guaranteed waterproof gortex rain suits. They wicked more water than a sponge and was very costly at the time.

01-Jul-17
Ford truck

02-Jul-17
The Butt Out is a great invention. It is a little painful at first, but not too bad once you get used to it.

02-Jul-17
I couldn't figure out how to use that butt out thing right... so now my daughter uses it in the freezer as a popsicle handle.....

02-Jul-17
When we first got married, my wife got a "great deal" (her words) on some Deerview Mirrors. She bought 4 of them. I think I hurt her feelings a bit when I broke out laughing when I opened the gift! I ended up giving 3 of them as gag gifts to some buddies. I still have one of them hanging up over the work bench in the basement.

Also got a "Treewiz" tree stand urinal that consisted of of a plastic mini urinal receptical that mounts to the tree, some plastic tubing the runs down to the ground that you are suppose to bury in some gravel for help with scent control. These guys had a booth at the Deer Classic one year and my Dad & brother saw it and had to get one for me. They had a good laugh that Christmas! Something about "what do you get the guy who has everything "!

02-Jul-17
A few years back I " invested " in the Acorn Crusher. I believe it was made by Hunters Specialties. That little plastic acorn that you wore like a ring and squeezed it in the palm of your hand to imitate the sound of feeding deer. Didn't help much with attracting deer but man my right hand strength is awesome..LOL

02-Jul-17
"Nothing hunting related for me but I did get suckered into buying the Banjo Minnow. A friend of mine told me it was the greatest thing he had ever seen so I bought the kit. Later after having mine for awhile he admitted that he never bought one but was sold on the commercial."

You guys must be using it wrong (twitch, twitch then let it sink, lay still). I use it every year, added other plastics to the rigging system and even live bait. It works when other lures will not. Have a huge bass mounted in my son's room that he caught with it on a cold day in MN. Works on big pike in the milifoil too.

02-Jul-17
".....scent sticks that you stuck in the ground and then lit with a match or lighter and then place a bucket over them with holes drilled in it for the scent to escape."

I used these too didn't have much luck personally. Just made everything else in my scent bag stink. However I do have a story from a hunting buddy who did use them, in WI. A nice big 8 came in touched with his nose , got burned then bolted back. Didn't get shot by the guy using them but another hunter a short distance away. He has the mount with burn mark still on the bucks nose.

02-Jul-17
One of those Gerber blood tracker lights. Useful as an accordian to help me find blood.

02-Jul-17
Tinks skunk cover scent. I could not stand my boots being near me after using it one time.

02-Jul-17
I bought a scent lick suit when they first came out. It was a bulky all brown suit that you wear camp over. Took one look at that and sent it back. I just couldn't see myself wearing that thing in August when it's 90-100 degrees. The only thing that was going to die was me while wearing it.

04-Jul-17
Spare Bladders!

04-Jul-17
Is a Scent Lick suit like a scratch n sniff?

04-Jul-17
First off the string tracker works! 2nd off, it fails! So all in all, it's great, until it isn't. I still have two of them, and 4 spools from the early 90's. Of course I haven't used them in years, but I had three failures and maybe six kills while using them. I once watched a clump of string come out of the end, and my arrow basically stop in mid-flight shooting a doe. The colored blazed orange string apparently had a waxy coating on it, and when it got hot in the trunk of my car, it melted and pooled up to harden in the spool which caused it's failure. I found that if you shot it three times first, and used the light 17 pound white string, it typically worked great out to 20 yards.

Skunk scent. Yeah, I used it, and I guarantee it worked to cover your scent, and replaced it with a smelly skunk. They made a synthetic brand that was even more potent. It might have kept fellow hunters away though?

The biggest failure I ever bought, was an API treestand that had riveted aluminum parts. It had a T screw you put into the tree first, then a slot that the stand hung on, then you strapped it on. In cold weather it would ping with the slightest movement. I actually took it in for aluminum. Another item that is about as silly, is screw in tree steps. Yep, we all used them, but the slip factor, and failure rate makes them not only stupid, but plain reckless. I'm sure there are guys still using them, but if you've never slipped or broke one off, I hope to hell you don't. I nearly gutted myself slipping in very dewy weather one morning. If it wasn't for layers of clothes, I'm sure I would have been disemboweled. It hurt like a dickens as I took off all the layers of skin from my waste to my chest. I kissed the ground after surviving that one!

04-Jul-17
Really enjoying this thread. Brings back lot of memories of junk I bought. hahaha. moben,tonybear61, T-roy,hammer. crack me up!

04-Jul-17
gumaflage..pine flavored gum..what a dumb gimmick..was intended to hide your breath and cover it. the butt out tool works great.. if you know how to use it. I have taken a 6X6 bull elk using rage broadheads..

04-Jul-17
I bought the cough suppressor too. What an idiot. Duh, ever here of a hanky!!! See you on the tundra. Rory

04-Jul-17
I bought a cough silencer once that actually does work. It is shaped like a 1" thick disc with a mouthpiece and has acoustic baffles inside. Still have it, use now and then if a cold hits.

04-Jul-17
There's been mention of the old Skunk Skreen stuff they had out in the early 80's and it brought back a memory.

We had a new bowhunter come into our deer camp. He was a really good guy and he really wanted to learn and be part of our group. He hadn't started hunting until a few years before and was receptive to anything we told him.

One afternoon he and I went to the north end of the farm we hunted to sit our stands. Mine was on the edge of a beanfield about 10 yards in the woods and his was another 100 yards down from me. I was using Skunk Skreen at that time and had two cotton balls soaked with it on the edge of the field. Our game plan was that he would leave his stand first and then come by me and then we'd both head back to camp.

At almost dark I see him walking back along the field edge. I wave to him and whisper if he saw anything, etc. He then asked if there was anything he could do to help me (like I said he was very willing to do anything to be accepted in our group, although he already was), so I told him that yes, he could get my Skunk Skreen cotton balls and wring them out so I could put them back in the bag. He heads over to the Skunk Skreen and halfway there he stops, looks at me and says, "Wring out your OWN damn Skunk Skreen!"

Then he was definitely one of the gang!

06-Jul-17
Not really a gadget, but I did sign up years ago for a Buckmasters lifetime membership. That was quite possibly the worst $500 I ever spent.

06-Jul-17
$500???!!! YIKES!!! Did you go back for your kiss?

07-Jul-17
Gumoflage, I'd forgotten about that 1. Bet I still have some in the bottom of my pack, right next to my cough silencer. I always thought buying wind detectors was a waste of $ when I can just pick a milkweed pod & have a 10year supply for free.

07-Jul-17
I was dumb enough to get a Mathews bow once. Like a circus with wheels...

07-Jul-17
Ya, I was dumb enough to buy a Matthews once too. Killed everything way too dead way too easy. So now for a challenge I have a bowtech and a trad bow. If I really want to go extreme maybe I'll pick up a Hoyt one day ;)

07-Jul-17
Ew... hoyt? The thought alone is nauseating.

07-Jul-17
Scrape Juice.

Back in 2000 or 2001 It was all the rage here on bowsite so I bought the product tester kit and couldn't wait to try it out.

Over the years I've used several types of deer lure. Some worked, most didn't, none of them acted more like a deer repellant.... LOL

As soon as I started spraying that stuff around the deer would literally avoid that area for several days. No spray they came on in.... LOL

I think I sold what I had left at a yard sale for a dollar....

07-Jul-17
One of those broadhead sharpeners with the V you drag down the blade. I knew when I bought it that it wasn't going to work as well as the small diamond stone I used to fix the damage done by that fancy sharpener.

07-Jul-17
Thunderflight - ditto.

And the gadget that went with it.......a scrape dripper!

Anyone else use one of those?

08-Jul-17
Scrape dripper. I had a doe stand up and lick it. AFTERBURNERS!!!

Early grunt call. Adjustable length ribbed tube that you worked with a scraper that resembled an afro comb.

M.A.D. Buck Roar. Sounded like a pterodactyl w/rabies. I remember thinking "THAT'S $23 I'll never get back".

-Joe

08-Jul-17
If you're using screw-in steps, you have to keep 3 points of contact at all times. That way, if one gives, you don't fall more than a couple inches. And I think the more you weigh, the more you're asking for it. If you're north of 250, I'd guess that you're playing with fire.

08-Jul-17
Im going with a "scent master". It was a plastic box blower fan and a charcoal filter in it to "remove scent" . 200 bucks I'll never see again. Just saw it is the shed today collecting dusk. Couldnt bare to throw it out, it cost to much....

09-Jul-17
Like others here the old Trailtimers with string. Bought 6 of them and bears promptly chomped and wrecked every one.

11-Jul-17
My HOMEMADE Baker treestand....didn't end well.............

11-Jul-17
Only thing I can think of is one of those fancy pee bladders. The ones with the plastic bladder inside a cloth camo drawstring bag. I liked the fact you could roll it up when not in use and took up little room in the fanny pack. I ended up throwing the plastic bladder away years ago and now use the cloth camo bag to cover the fletching on my arrows in my quiver when on stand.

11-Jul-17
I bought a Scentmaster also. It was so loud my wife asked me not to run it the house. It now sits under my work bench since it is too expensive to throw away.

11-Jul-17
ARIZONA POINT GUARD !!!

14-Jul-17
For sell a knife I seen on t.v. Cut thru a bolt, then slice a tomato, and then shave with it. My wife said it would take a idiot to buy one of them.

15-Jul-17
Mark me down for one of those blood tracking lights. But I did get half my money back for it on eBay. So I'm only half an idiot!

• Sitka Gear