Bigdan's embedded Photo
fire that started on the 4 of july
Bigdan's embedded Photo
fire that started on the 4 of july
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Yellow flowers is all that's left
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Yellow flowers is all that's left
Drove down into the breaks this morning to check out some of the tanks I hunt. It real dry last year we got 38 inches of rain between june 1st and the end of sept this year we only had 1/4 inch in all of june. The sweet clover had flowered and dryed up it looks like the river will be were the elk will be this fall. we have a big fire behind zortmen in the Little Rockys

05-Jul-17
Wow does that look different than last year. How far from Zortman is that fire?

See you in a couple months!!

05-Jul-17
1/4 mile

05-Jul-17
Parts of the state are in extreme drought and even over here by Lewistown it's getting pretty dry. Little rain and we are looking at maybe 10 days of 90+. Almost glad I don't have a permit. I hate sitting in bugs on the river and won't do it.

Be careful with fire. I never have a camp fire in the Breaks and here's an idea for burning trash. I have a metal 5 gal bucket with a small hole about half way down. I cover it with a 1/4" mesh screen while burning. You light the fire on top and place the bucket in an open dirt area.

Watch while burns and put water on the ash. It's important to light from the top. That way there is no "lift" to carry embers.

05-Jul-17
Dan, glad this thread is from you. For a minute I suspected it was crabby old "Missouribreaks" posting about how bowhunting is "ruined" because some 12 year old kid is using a crossbow in Ohio.

Seriously, that looks like how it was down here a couple years ago. Do you get an August "monsoon" or are you too far north there? Hope things improve..

05-Jul-17
we get rain in aug but june is our wettest month and only 1/4 inch is bad

05-Jul-17
If the fire gets too close I hope they let the prisoners out of the Zortman jail for safety.......

How are the wells holding up? If not much feed on the ranges....I sense more cow tags on the horizon.....

05-Jul-17

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
I went into Zortman this morning the town is safe all the timber around town is burned so there is no fuel left the fire is moving south east of Zortman headed our way they have about 1000 more fire fighters coming in today and two choppers working the head of the fires

05-Jul-17
Just read about this fire on the Helena Independent Record's website. I wondered if your place was in danger. There was a small fire north of Helena yesterday but they knocked it down quickly. This extended hot and dry forecast is not welcome.

05-Jul-17
Yikes! Last year was so wet we could not get to our camp on 3 different trips...we'll see

06-Jul-17

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
its getting closer this was taken on my deck at 1030 pm

06-Jul-17
News report of earthquake Montana.

Somebody has irritated the High Commander!

06-Jul-17
Yeah it was a bad one. Shook the whole house and knocked stuff over.

06-Jul-17
Dang......that's too close.

Just saw that there has been a mandatory evacuation of Landusky as of this morning.

06-Jul-17
Geez Danny that's close! Any homes in danger? I think Steve is over there now, tried to call him but I think service is kinda spotty.

06-Jul-17
Stay safe big Dan, sorry to see you have a bad fire up there. 410 has been burned out for the last 10 years with all my good spots void of timber, I'm afraid it's going to be a bad year for fire

06-Jul-17
oops, got a hold of Steve..... he's back here now but following the fire closely. Kind of a helpless feeling. You guys stay safe and good luck!

06-Jul-17

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Took this photo about 1/2 hour ago just above Landusky 1/4 mile away

06-Jul-17
When the BLM did tree core studies on the Breaks in the past they could show that the entire Breaks area burned about every 50 years. Big problem now is that the juniper is so bad it gets the fire into the upper story and takes out too many pines.

06-Jul-17
Which way is it moving from Landusky?

06-Jul-17
Go to the weather channel and you can get a wind report for the area. They have a chance for thunderstorms later on. I'm near Moore, MT and we have gotten .3 or so and more coming. Hopefully it will hit them.

06-Jul-17
Anyone that has fired nearby make sure your rain gutters are cleaned out if you have them. Plug the gutters so they can't drain and fill them with water. Embers roll off roofs and into gutters. Out west here you see stucco houses with tile roofs catch fire and that's the reason. Sad to see hunting areas go up like that. This is only the beginning.

06-Jul-17
Dan, can you back burn then, cut the tall trees around your residence to get a wide fire line of burnt fuel, before the fire gets there, to protect your stuff? A fire can't burn when it has no fuel.

06-Jul-17
Prayers to all of you out there dealing with this.

06-Jul-17

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
The wind was blowing to the north west all day it turned to the north about 6pm The fire got into town but there is a ton of fire fighters there with about 20 big water tenders we lost a couple of out buildings but all the homes are still standing. you can't get into town You can see the cat line they put in as a fire break they back burned every thing above the break last night looks like it mite have been the tool they needed

06-Jul-17
Good luck Dan. Fingers crossed and prayers with the kids tonight.

07-Jul-17
Eesh that is terrible! I'm glad all is ok so far. I'll include you and all involved out there in my prayers Dan.

07-Jul-17
The hard work and effort these wild land fire fighters put in to save homes and property is amazing. They truly are every day heroes. Prayers for you Dan and those effected by the fire and for the safety of those fighting all the wild fires. The hot dry weather we are getting in a lot of the west is going to see all too much of this over the next couple months I'm afraid! God bless!

07-Jul-17
Prayers for everyone involved! Man that is too close for comfort! : (

07-Jul-17
I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Are they evacuating people ? In 2012 we had a big wild fire and my neighbor wouldn't go. He hid out at his place when the deputy's came to evacuate him and some other neighbors. He stayed until that fire ran his place over and burnt his house, barn and horse stables to the ground. He lost everything except his horses . He didn't have insurance either. In one barn he lost about 5 years worth of some of the biggest elk shed antlers I have ever seen. There is not a day that goes by that he doesn't talk about that fire and what he wishes he had done different. Good luck !

07-Jul-17
Hope all is well

07-Jul-17
Dadgum son thats an attention getter stay safe Lewis

07-Jul-17
Glad you and yours are safe

14-Jul-17
TTT.....How ya down Big Dan? Hopefully things have calmed down with that fire. Let us know when you get a chance.

14-Jul-17
There in the mop up stage now I took a drive to Zortman two days ago most of the public in the Little Rockys is burnt I don't know how the sheep made out but most are on the mine this time of the year The Zortman side of the mtn the mine area did not burn like the Landusky side did the south side were most of the game winter is black as burnt toast

16-Jul-17
Glad to hear your place and Zortman missed the fire. Hope to see you this fall in the breaks

16-Jul-17
Glad to hear it's calmed down.

17-Jul-17
Any rain? We have been getting hit in the evening down here sporadically.

17-Jul-17
We have only had 1/4 inch sense June 1st

• Sitka Gear