W 18-Jul-17
Grim 19-Jul-17
Two Feathers 19-Jul-17
rooster 20-Jul-17
Knife2sharp 20-Jul-17
turkeyhunter60 23-Jul-17
razorhead 23-Jul-17
14-Jul-17
Just curious. There is no special section for it.

14-Jul-17
I think that this question is like the "are you still beating your wife?" question. Just a yes or no answer.

Terry

14-Jul-17
Has hell frozen over?

14-Jul-17
Not sure if anybody wants to answer this question and be judged negatively by the elite archer police on here.

I bought on to try as an alternative to all the other hunting styles that I already participate in. I don't "use" it exclusively or hardly at all for that matter. But it is fun to shoot and its there if I want to use it.

So my answer is: yes

14-Jul-17
I'll start. I started using one last year after rotator problems in my shoulder forced me away from my compound. If any of you want to judge me go ahead but at least I am in the woods and enjoying it. By the way how many of you were skeptical to switch from long bow to compound when those first came out? I know I was. Rick

14-Jul-17
I have in the past, but never exclusively. Just another tool in the box depending on the situation.

14-Jul-17
Look 20 years ago I would have beaten a puppy before I would have even looked at one.

Today, it's how I started my kids because they couldn't effectively pull back a bow, they didn't like the boom of rifles - they LOVE the crossbow.

I love my kids and brought them hunting for years and they earned their chance. Last year my daughter went 5-5 on deer. The last 30 minutes of light went for a double. I have never been more excited or happy during any hunting trip than I was then.

20 years later I don't hate them as much.

14-Jul-17
I used one for a season when I lived in Virginia. It was ok to shoot but I thought it was loud and was a nightmare to carry around. I sold it when I moved back to MA.

14-Jul-17
I do not own a crossbow.... however, all three of my adult children have switched from compounds to crossbows. Of my five shooting buddies, four have switched from compounds to crossbows. The fifth owns one, but still hunts with compound so he can enter into P&Y. As more and more states allow crossbows into the general archery seasons, especially western states, more hunters will leave their compounds for crossbows.

14-Jul-17
I've shot them but never owned or hunted with one. I like all sorts of weapons from BB guns to catapults. That said, crossbows are different from bows and people are split on whether including them in bow seasons is a good thing.

No surprise to not have a Mustang section on the Camaro owners forum even though they are similar and some guys have both.

14-Jul-17
My shoulders, elbows still work, so no. Started my seven year old daughter on a Hoyt Ruckus last year and she was almost instantly shooting 4 in groups at 15 yards. This year at 8 she'll be pulling legal poundage and kill her first deer or 3. I'm fixing to buy my 5 year old a Bear Cruzer Lite and in a few years she'll be poking holes in deer too. You get proficient with whatever you use the most. Muscles have to be trained start young.

14-Jul-17
Never held one!

14-Jul-17
67 years old as soon as it gets cold I change .I could care what anyone thinks I still get to hunt with my son . Steve

14-Jul-17
Similar Sage Buffalo I started our daughter with an Xbow because she wasn't enthused about rifle even with earmuffs and no way she could have hunted with a bow. She has killed 2 turkeys & 1 pronghorn with it (during an "any weapon" season).

She's since gotten comfortable with rifle and is not yet ready for bow, so for now is a rifle hunter.

Based on my use sighting it in and shooting it, I find it to be cumbersome, heavy, loud and pretty much a PIA compared to shooting my compound. And less accurate too, not to mention a pain to reload. Just not particulary fun to shoot IMO.

I have zero problem with Xbows, but I don't believe they belong in an archery season. Sure there are some folks with injuries that are legit, but I believe the vast majority of Xbow users simply want an an easy/lazy way to partake in the benefits of archery season: longer season, tags easier to draw, etc. I also believe the majority of muzzle loader hunters are looking to draw tags easier than for rifle season.

14-Jul-17
YES

14-Jul-17
Define "use". LOL Yes, I do have had to for about 10-years. Hate it.

Just a comment. Anyone who says they have zero problem with crossbows but don't believe they belong in archery season, does in fact, have a problem with them. However, I would support taking three weeks away from archery and making it crossbows only. (Bet that gets some excited.)

14-Jul-17
They remind me of a plunger. They are great tools but I don't ever want to use one until I have to.

14-Jul-17
I have never shot one, but may have to this year. We'll see if I can draw 40# or not in September. My injured right shoulder right now can't get 20# back. If I can draw 40#, I will use my daughters pink camo Parker Sidekick.

I have nothing against crossbows for disabled archers, but I'm not going to buy one to use as a short-cut. I will use one though if it's the only way I can hunt.

14-Jul-17
"but I did't inhale!"

14-Jul-17
I guess that I’m now old enough to not be bothered much about others judging me. I killed my first deer with a recurve in about 1962 and have hunted with a recurve ever since. I would also add that at one point in my life I was very anti-crossbow regarding it being allowed in “archery season” – I still have mixed feeling. I view things somewhat differently now and I hunt with both the recurve and crossbow. I have 19 acres around my house and the crossbow offers the advantage of a high percentage chance that I won’t have an issue with a deer dying on one of my snowflake neighbor’s property. Additionally, if I am pressured by a relative wanting to hunt during gun season, I can tell them they can use my crossbow rather than a gun. As I get older, things are not nearly as black and white as they were in my youth – I see more shades of gray nowadays !

14-Jul-17
My Dad had shoulder surgery last summer at the age of 75. He used a crossbow last season, but complained about it daily. The shoulder is still giving him fits. He is trying to learn to shoot a left handed compound this summer. If that doesn't work out, I can't envision him staying home. For the record, Indiana had a disability permit for crossbows as far back as I can remember.....and adopted full inclusion in 2012.

14-Jul-17
Crossbow is just another archery weapon. Despite the hype, it is loud, heavy, awkward to reload in a tree stand, and they do not push the arrow much faster than a compound bow. I do use it mostly after the cold weather settles in on the East coast. Many deer came home with me thanks to the Excalibur Matrix 355 crossbow. That being said I have to admit that my favorite weapons for archery hunting are still the traditional and compound bows which I use often. It is good to have more options when selecting a weapon for hunting.

14-Jul-17
No, I would draw the bow with my teeth and shoot left handed if I had to before I would switch to an X-bow during bow season. That's just me....I won't judge others.

14-Jul-17
Most of my archery hunting is with a recurve, haven't shot a compound in probably 25 years. However, after reading some anti crossbow posts on here or the Leatherwall, I will sometimes get the crossbow I bought for my 90 year old father and hunt with it just to aggravate people. ;)

14-Jul-17
I had kids bows as a kid (you know the green fiberglass 15 pounders) I started hunting with a xbow 20+ years ago (passed on some deer as I was looking for a trophy buck) I then went to a compound bow in 98 and killed my first deer Then 15 years ago I went to a longbow

I love traditional archery but I can hardly devote the time to shooting (and you have to, if your going to hunt with one)

Not sure what my next move will be but I don't look down on anyone using what they wish. After all its supposed to be about enjoyment.

14-Jul-17
Never held one!

14-Jul-17
No. I don't own one but I have shot them before. I would switch in a heartbeat if it was the only way that I could still get out in the woods and hunt. I think many others would do the same when faced with that situation no matter what they say at this point and time.

14-Jul-17
I hear Illinois is going to have a massive buck killing from crossbows real soon. So bad in fact all the doe will go lesbian because there won't be a buck left in the state worth breading with. Damn shame.

14-Jul-17
Not I. Or a compound either. My kicks are with sticks!

14-Jul-17
Generally feel that crossbows are marketed to rifle hunters who have tried shooting a compound and couldn't kill anything with it or maybe kids that are too young to shoot a hunting weight bow.

I would personally feel very handicapped with a crossbow - or compound for that matter. Too much that can go wrong with all the mechanical systems. Doesn't fit how I can hunt successfully with my equipment.

They should not be allowed in archery seasons. But then again, neither should the high-powered rifles and muzzle loaders like they do here in Colorado...

14-Jul-17
I'm 60, in decent health and make no excuses. I use a crossbow the same as my compound or my longbows or my recurves. If it has two limbs and a string and chucks an arrow I'm interested.

14-Jul-17
I've set a couple up for folks, changed strings, etc. I have no idea why anyone would use one. Heavy, clumsy, a PITA to load and especially unload. If not shooting off a rest they aren't particular accurate, unbalanced as heck.... but on a rest pretty good. Only use I could see is someone that has a 10 min walk to a stand or blind that has rests incorporated for rifles. But to each their own.

A little surprised with some statements above, I can see the rifle crowd moving into crossbow..... that's been pretty much 100% of those I've seen but for physical reasons. Have never heard of anyone moving from a bow to an x-bow. Can only guess they will move on to something else next year...... from toy to toy, as they get bored or frustrated with one they go to the next.....

14-Jul-17
I have one that I used for one deer season after a couple of shoulder surgeries... HATED THAT THING. Hurt my shoulder just carrying it around. Fun to shoot, but I will only hunt with it in the future if I have too.

14-Jul-17
Never shot one. But I would never want to miss bow season because I couldn't pull back a bow. I hope that day never comes.

14-Jul-17
Never heard of anyone moving from a bow to a crossbow ??? Ha !!! Almost ALL of the guys I know at work switched from their bows to crossbows when they became legal in Michigan during archery season. Very few of them still use their bows.

14-Jul-17
Yeah I have one and will use it this year. Im 67 won't bore you with the physical reasons why. I had the same stand as others on ever using one until all that has happened to me has happened. I hate the thing but if I want to hunt early I'll have to use it.

14-Jul-17
midwest+1.

As far as switching from bow to crossbow, I know 1 person that did so. That's it. Then again, I also know 1 person that switched from crossbow to bow.

14-Jul-17
Sure must be a lot of dumb retailers if very few are buying those damn clunky scoped crossbows. Must also be a lot of new hunters coming into the general archery seasons if few guys are switching from compounds, look out!

14-Jul-17
I've never even held one. I'll never say never though. The hunt is the important part to me. As I get older, I actually care less and less what I hunt with. My shoulder is bothering me too, I have an appointment next week. I don't have time for shoulder surgery, too many hunts booked.

I like to think I'd try a mouth tab first. But who knows.

I doubt I'd raise my whitetail success level any with a crossbow over a compound. I like to hunt the type of bucks that don't exist where I hunt :)

14-Jul-17
Sinners!

14-Jul-17
I'd hate to see $4000. Worth of bridge work go flying out with a mouth tab. Haha

14-Jul-17
I like bowhunting for many reasons but mostly because its hunting with a bow. If I can't shoot a bow someday, I will be camp cook and keep busy telling the guys about the good old days and how I would have handled that bull on the ridge this morning. Then I'll do some hunting with my 45LC single action, 54 cal roundballer, 38-55 Winchester and my 1000 yard rig. I'll miss bowhunting but won't lack for stuff to do.

14-Jul-17
Yep, used one for the first time last year...killed a buck on the first stand I took it in. I wanted the experience of using different weapons and thus far I've been fortunate to take game with a rifle, bow and crossbow. From my experience it was substantially easier than using a vertical bow and I will be switching back to the compound this year as it's a more exciting and rewarding experience in my opinion (I won't even take the crossbow into the field). Ultimately I have a goal of killing a deer with a muzzleloader and a pistol too...round out the total hunting experience with all weapons.

I don't care much for what others think on this subject. If hunter numbers decline as some are forecasting in the coming years, I'm happy if any young people are entering the sport, crossbow or not. In a world of 37 genders, social justice horsesh*t, and an overabundance of "snowflakes", it would do the country some good if more young men and women took to the field to harvest wild game.

14-Jul-17
I agree with Glunt, I too will let the new hunters have my archery opportunity.

14-Jul-17
Shot one at my uncles house one time. I don't get why there are guys who can't use a bow, so they use a crossbow and "hate the thing." Wouldn't you just LOVE the thing because it enables you to hunt? Why would you scorn the very piece of equipment that is enabling you to hunt?

My suspicion is that you don't actually hate it. You hate telling people that you are using one. To that point - of all the many times we have ever had a thread on here about people with age or health issues that bring up the dreaded idea of using a x-bow, I would say 95-99% of people tell that person to use it and enjoy hunting!!! "just get out there!" So the overwhelming majority is in favor of using it when health requires it, and yet when health requires it, people pretend to hate them. No need to be embarrassed fellas, embrace it.

I know if I am unable to bowhunt and a crossbow makes it possible I'll buy one so fast it will be the bow shop's easiest sale ever. And I would be PUMPED that I can still go hunting. Get this though - I even shot a deer with a rifle last year - darn nice buck too. I know, I'm 30 years old, no shoulder issues and I picked up a boom-stick and went deer hunting. Got drawn in Saskatchewan, DIY hunt. Crucify me. Shot him running at 50 yards after I snuck in on him he was with some does. Get this - I even had fun. Had a blast in fact. Hunting with 3 buddies. I also shot a buck in my home province with a bow - 45 yards. That was fun too :)

Crazy thing is I have realized is at the end of the day I hunt for enjoyment, and it has become far more enjoyable when I realized that was my goal.

14-Jul-17
Don't have anything against somebody using one, as they are deemed a legal weapon in my state. I hope I never have to use one as there are no archery skills involved in shooting them.

14-Jul-17
I have a long held hatred of them. unless you have a genuine disability even then if you cant shoot a bow, rifle hunt.To many people abuse the medical loop hole here in New mexico. They make instant archers out of people who don't want to spend the time to learn and master archery which is a skill. The big money behind the push to legalize them has overcome resistance of bowhunting organizations in my old home state of Texas, and many other states. Like I said, I HATE them.

14-Jul-17
The reason there is no section for crossguns here is cause this is bowsite. Not crossgun sight, if you go to a crossgun sight you will find all kinds of like minded folks there.

14-Jul-17
I hated it compared to hunting with my compound bow. Bought it so I would not miss a bow season. Loved the fact I was able to hunt that fall, but still hated the damn thing. Hurt my bad shoulder to carry that heavy awkward thing. Also it limits your "field of fire" from a tree stand, you can't shoot behind the tree stand like a vertical bow.

14-Jul-17
I have never owned one or shot one. I don't believe they belong in Archery season. I'm 68 years old and have been bow hunting since 1969. I still have my first recurve bow I killed my first deer with in 1970. I still shoot bows at 65#. I have three compounds and three recurves. Have good health and great shoulders. If I can't shoot my vertical bows I'll take my camera. I'm a Senior member of the Pope & Young Club and have been for more than ten years. I wander how ethics will play into things when those who consider it the same as bow hunting will re act when they finally shoot those critters scoring the minimum P & Y with their X bows.

14-Jul-17
I just learn that "never say never". Use to be an avid anti-crossbow hunter. But now at age 75 and starting to have shoulder problems I can see the end of my compound hunting days in the not to distant future. But realizing that this means no hunting during early archery seasons changed my thinking big time. So, I purchased a Ravin R9 this summer. I'm still hunting this fall with my compound but in case I cannot I will be ready with my R9. I still believe that crossbows should not be allowed for able bodied persons during archery seasons. Like Mpdh said, it takes no archery skills to shoot one. After sighting in the R9 I was shooting 4 inch groups at 60 yards from a sitting position using my elbows as a support. I could never do this with my compound when I was in my prime. Crossbow hunting is the easy way out for able bodied individuals.

14-Jul-17
What's a cross bow?

14-Jul-17
I have met a few one arm compound shooters who drew and released with their teeth and a flap attached to the string. I tried two of their set-ups and I was grouping about the same as my trad bow in no time. Both of them were excellent shots.

The first guy was in his 70s and when I met him he was putting 4x8 sheets of plywood on his loader, unloading them and nailing them in place on the roof of a shop he was building. I asked if he had any help and he said he told his son to go pick up lunch 'cause he was slowing him down :^)

14-Jul-17
Glunt there was a fella at the Michigan Bowhunters shoot a few weeks back shooting his longbow with his teeth. Had a dead arm it looked like but he was a killer on 3D. Kinda cheating though cause he was gun barreling his shot but................I gave him a pass being crippled up and all. :)

Were there is a will there is a way.

14-Jul-17
Years back there was a one armed mechanic that a co worker worked with. One day he snapped his distillar bicep tendon. His bicep ended up around his shoulder. I always wondered what that must've felt like. Then one year on my first gate to open to start my elk hunt I yanked hard on the gate and right before pain hit I heard my tendon snap. Last year roofing my house I screwed up my shoulders and partially tore my right bicep tendon. Since then I can't even begin to draw either of my bows. I had a bear hunt coming up and thought it was time to try one. It has not been enjoyable. In the past I would have had surgeries to correct this. Now because of so many surgeries I'm susceptible to staph infections that go right into a replaced knee. I've had so many(9) in three years I'm not willing to have my shoulders repaired. My last surgery on my knee I was prepared to come out of surgery with a missing leg. Since then I've grown rather fond of having two legs. I do enjoy hunting so this crossbow and I have got to somehow get along. I said I wasn't going to bore you my physical issues but I partially did. I don't believe crossbows belong in P&Y at all. If people have issue with that they can start their own club or go to B&C. I do believe that their are younger hunters that use them that will want to go to something that challenges them more than the crossbow. Just like compound users that go to wood bows. In order to put food on the table this year I will use a crossbow and rifle. For the first time in decades but the meat will taste the same.

14-Jul-17
I have nothing against crossguns, except they should be restricted to gun seasons, not polluting archery seasons. Archery seasons are set up typically early and long to provide more of a challenge, spread out the hunter pressure, and extend the useful life of the resource. Crossguns in the early archery season undermine all these factors.

I have picked one up and actually tuned one for a partial quadriplegic friend. I personally doubt I'd ever use one myself, but am glad they are available in case some day I become handicapped.

14-Jul-17
I hunt with compounds, recurves, longbows, muzzleloader and rifles, and just don't care to add another method. I wish the best of luck to all of you who use them! But...if my shoulder gets a lot worse I will likely have to give it a try. I can use one in Florida on private land during bow season.

14-Jul-17
I'm no fan of crossbows. I get it. It's just another weapon. And I have no problem with the young and old hunters using them in archery season.I have no problem with the disabled hunters and veterans.....any veterans using them.

Crossbows are here to stay in archery season and nothing is going to turn that back.

But, I'll tell you something..........the real reason I dislike them is they threaten me!! I'm worried that they are going to displace archery. The pure joy of drawing my recurve and longbow is only slightly diminished when I draw my compound bow. To draw any bow and release an arrow is a primordial experience, that can transform a modern man back to his primitive roots.

Let's not kid ourselves..... who the hell on this site could possibly compare the feeling of pulling the trigger on a crossbow nestled against one's shoulder with the joy of releasing an arrow.... even if its using a mechanical release!.... from your favorite bow !

If, in 30 years from now. , on my deathbed, the archery season is comprised of 90% crossbow shooters ...... I will be dying a sad soul to know that one of the great enjoyments of mankind , the hunt with bow and arrow , is also on its deathbed.

Long live the bow and arrow !!

14-Jul-17
I bought one when I first had neck/shoulder issues, sighted it in, shot a few bolts. I decided I didn't like the clunky s. o. b so I sold it to a friend who only rifle hunted before. He's killed two antelope with it and plans to deer hunt with it this year. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I get to where I can't pull a compound, I'll revert to handgun hunting as I have in the past. Nothing against them, they just ain't for me.

14-Jul-17
Let's not kid ourselves..... who the hell on this site could possibly compare the feeling of pulling the trigger on a crossbow nestled against one's shoulder with the joy of releasing an arrow.... even if its using a mechanical release!.... from your favorite bow !

Not Me. Like I've said, bows are fun to shoot there's nothing fun about a crossbow in my opinion. Just another tool. Our bow season is 4 weeks starting in august. That's it. Rifle season ends the first Sunday in November. Most of my hunting except for bears is on private land. I usually used to use my bow during rifle season.

14-Jul-17
I am sorry, but Bill Obeid will die a sad soul.

14-Jul-17
I shot one just because I could. Honesty I dont see the advantage. I will use one of thats the only way I can hunt. What ever gets you out there. The more of us there are the stronger we are.

14-Jul-17
Regarding handgun hunting, that will be my go-to if I can't pull a trad bow at some point. Its really fun and amazing how nice it is to be hands free going through the mountains. I have 5.5" open sight Ruger Bisley 45LC loaded around factory 454 Casull specs. Range is similar to a compound although with a good rest I can stretch it a bit. No, I won't be lobbying to let me use it during bow season.

14-Jul-17
Use a crossbow you say. That's kind of like kissing your sister ain't it.

14-Jul-17
The only time I held one was when I used to beat my exwife!

She gave me the clap (reference to another thread) ;-)

14-Jul-17
Ye...kissing your sister x2

14-Jul-17
Well said Bill Obeid! I can not imagine not having that feeling!

14-Jul-17
Never had any interest in using one, but if I couldn't pull my bow back anymore I would get one.

14-Jul-17
Nope

14-Jul-17
I don't have an issue with anyone using a cross gun, just fight to get your own season. I just feel they should not be allowed during archery season. I think they are great for the kids, adults and anyone that wants to use one but again if they are that popular, fight to get their own season. NY kind of has done that, they allow them the last two weeks of bow season. Scooby

14-Jul-17
No.

14-Jul-17
Well Bill, the feeling will never die for you and others who use the trad bow. You are correct, the feeling that others get killing a big buck I get everytime I take any deer with my trad equipment. That feeling is so primordial that I can't think of anyother way to feel that unless you knife hunt or maybe use a spear. Oh no, I did it, well I may as well ask here instead of a new thread. How do you all feel about spear hunting? I know it's allowed in a couple states but what about nation wide, should we be allowed to use spears for big game?

14-Jul-17
Absolutely not interested. I am working on an atatl. I love flinters and longbows. I also enjoy hunting small game with a slingshot. Modern guns, with the exception of a lever action rifle, and modern bows hold no interest for me personally.

14-Jul-17
Again with the crossguns.... smh ... never ever ever will I stoop to using one of those "things" ... I'll go to only gun hunting if I get old and feeble, there aint no hiding what my guns are .... I am a BOWhunter, first and foremost..that means vertical BOWS, hand drawn, hand held only.... if YOU want to use one, thats your choice, but dont call it a bow and yourself a BOWhunter... ..

14-Jul-17
This hunting season will be my 61 st. year bowhunting and I will be 73 this fall. I blew up my left shoulder in February, surgery in March, PT every day since then. I hope to be able to shoot my bow by October. My age, my injury and my family all tell me to shoot a crossbow. Despite these crossbow qualifications, I resist. My fidelity demands otherwise.

I have killed deer with a centerfire rifle, shotgun, longbow, recurve, and with a compound bow. I know what it feels like to "earn" a deer, I cannot see that happening with a crossbow. For all of us, in life, there are just some boundaries one does not cross, becoming a crossbow hunter is one of them.

14-Jul-17
I have used one (cripples bow as i am fond of calling them) but primarily compound with recurve. Despised them when they were allowed in archery only... now it's just another weapon. I use rifles, shotguns and both black powder rifles and pistol as well would give a spear a try if we had a season. My compound is the primary weapon of choice but I enjoy the hunt and different weapons make it interesting, it's all fun.

14-Jul-17
Why, it disparage what bowhunting was given to us, I'm in my mid-60s and watch the progression from very few that bow hunted and now anything goes. To settle all the problems lets just have one generic season and use what your heart desire to kill. This sure is not your daddy's era of hunting anymore. Looking forward to the air arrow gun just need more in the public; looking for quality but have to settle for quantity (Neil Young). The problem with the Big Tent it fills up and someone always get the bad seat.

14-Jul-17
Do you know that the best of best compound shooter, has no arms,,,,,,, he is frustrated that he is not allowed to shoot, against everyone, else, he is rated in a handicap section.....

I wish I remembered his name, I was listening to him, on the radio, here in Wis, where they did an interview of him, on Public Radio,,,, he was born with the defect and he was interesting to listen too,,,,,,

funny comment on neil young, he only likes vinyl,,,,,,, hates dvd etc

14-Jul-17
Love my CVA, Love my Kimber, Love my Stryker, Love my Bowtech, Love my traps, Love my wife. If it rubs you the wrong way all I can ask is who owns the PROBLEM ? Get over yourself ! ROCK ON !

14-Jul-17
I'm Bowbender77's wife and due to missing bones in my wrist I couldn't bowhunt if I didn't have my crossbow.

14-Jul-17
You know guys, the crossbow was invented looooong before the compound bow. Hard to say it's not a bow, and the compound is? One could make an argument that wheel bows with 80% let off aren't real bows and they are for guys who can't pull the true weight through the shot. Holding a string with a mechanical RELEASE that has a TRIGGER and using SIGHTS should be used in the gun season. They could be called comp-guns. Xbows have a trigger, sights and hold the string in a release. Just some food for thought.

14-Jul-17
Comp-guns.......I like it! You should patent that one!

14-Jul-17
I can't run 26 miles anymore(because I'm too lazy to put the work in) ; do I ask the organizers of marathons to let me drive? Archery seasons were specifically set aside for hunting with hand drawn, hand held bows. If I'm not willing to do the work to maintain proficiency with a hand drawn hand held bow I have no more business hunting the archery season than I would have driving my car in a marathon footrace.

14-Jul-17
And that should also extend to bows where you only hold 15% of the draw weight too then, right? Having all that let-off makes becoming consistently accurate a whole lot easier and a WHOLE lot less work than a stickbow which is the original bow anyway. Leave archery season for the original bows!

14-Jul-17
I hunted in wyoming last year with a cross bow because it was legal. It was wyomings' law , I was legal so what's the problem ? What is some of you guys problems?

14-Jul-17
Woods, that ship sailed 40 years ago........ Does that mean we should let the standard erode even more now?

14-Jul-17
It already HAS eroded with comp-guns if we go by your definition. If we're going to be "pure", then let's be pure. The problem with that way of thinking is WHO get's to determine what "pure" is?

14-Jul-17
I use one with my daughter. Last year she became old enough to hunt. She is very small and isn't proficient pulling back the state minimum. Since I didn't have the funds to get her her own crossbow I ended up selling my compound to get her a crossbow. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of letting her pick it out...it's pink.

15-Jul-17
I hunt with a recurve, longbow, compound bow, muzzleloader and a rifle. I am a hunter.

If and when the days comes where I can't draw a bow during bow season and a crossbow is legal, I will then hunt with a crossbow.

I am a hunter.

15-Jul-17
Although LBshooter make some valid points, there is a huge difference between hunting with a X-bow and a compound. You have to move your hands to draw a compound bow and no matter how strong you are you can't hold it for long. Those are the essential differences. I have shot a X-bow and I personally think the difference is great enough that X-bows shouldn't be allowed in archery seasons. I have also shot and hunted with traditional bows, and while I realize some trad guys are opposed to compounds, I find the experiences with compounds and trad gear to be much the same. Walking through the woods with a drawn bow that you throw up to your shoulder just feels like rifle hunting to me. I have no problem with rifle or X-bow hunting, but I won't be using either in archery season. Good luck to all this fall.

15-Jul-17
Quote: "I can't run 26 miles anymore(because I'm too lazy to put the work in) ; do I ask the organizers of marathons to let me drive?"

How about I can't shoot a recurve accurate enough to hunt with (because I'm too lazy to put the work in). I need a machine with 85%+ let off and a trigger so I can get in the bow season. Compgun works ;^)

15-Jul-17
Looks like many who hunt in the archery season are actually ok with scoped crossbows and will not rule out using them. As others have said before me on various threads, bowhunting as the P&Y club defines it, is in a fairly rapid death spiral in this country. Along with that, dies the larger culture bowhunting, bowhunting clubs, and bowhunting seasons were founded upon. As I said before, do not blame big money, the NRA, or the manufacturers, it is actually the hunters who choose to buy and use scoped crossbows. Many, probably the majority, of hunters want these weapons. This thread and former threads show this over and over.

The crossbow revolution will be as great as the compound revolution, difference being, crossbows have a very low level of new hunter recruitment when compared to compound bows. Most crossbow shooters are simply compound users taking the next step to simplicity during the archery seasons, and gun hunters moving their scopes and triggers into the rut and archery seasons.

15-Jul-17
I will quit hunting, before i lug a cross bow in the woods. I like the thrill of ground hunting, sneaking up on the prey i am after, and then, do the HARDEST thing a hunter has to do. PULL the bow back, and get the shot off. With cross bows, you don't ever have to worry about getting busted, DRAWING you bow. Just no thrill in cross bow hunting for me. I to think there is a place for cross bows, the elderly, handicapped, etc... , but not for me. The cross bow takes the THRILL out for me. JMO

15-Jul-17
I predicted thAt P&Y will open a category for xbows in the not to distant future. Speaking of P&Y , have they changed the rules for bow shooting 80% let off? See a lot of guys shooting these bows so how do they police this issue when entering g a animal?

15-Jul-17
"With cross bows, you don't ever have to worry about getting busted, DRAWING you bow."

So Bent, by that line of reasoning, enclosed tent blinds shouldnt' be allowed in archery season then either? Because they can't see you draw when you're in one of those either. I completely respect your choice on what you hunt with and how you hunt. But why not leave others the same choice?

15-Jul-17

Spookinelk's embedded Photo
Spookinelk's embedded Photo
Now Steve...the recurve thing..., I can(and do) do that, the crossbow thing..., I'll never do that!

15-Jul-17
Woods Walker - don't forget treestands. Purpose is to ambush and not be seen.

15-Jul-17
WoodsWalker, I was referring in my reply, that the cross bows were not for me. I was just giving my take on cross bows, for myself. I didn't say anything about other hunters, at least i didn't think i did. I won't use hut type blinds either. No thrill in those, plus, i can't see or hear anything out of them. LOL

15-Jul-17
Well said Mr. and Mrs. bowbender77.

For all the "purists" out there, I sure hope you wear home spun wool and horse and wagon when you go out...

15-Jul-17
C'mon HDE. I'm no "Purists". Just one, of not very many, that's left. As Phil Robertson said, "I'm a low tech guy, in a high Tech world." Technology has just about priced Archery out of the price range, that an average guy can afford, that would like to be outdoors, hunting.

15-Jul-17
Bent: We're on the same page with the stickbow, tent blinds (coffins in my book) and hunting them on the ground. I thought you were inferring that crossbows shouldn't be legal in archery season because the deer doesn't see you draw them.

15-Jul-17
Well kinda, Woods. I personally like the challenge of drawing my bow, without being detected, under twenty yards. To me, getting close to whitetails is hard, but not near as hard as it is to draw the bow on them. Don't have that problem with a crossbow. That is where it takes the thrill out of the hunt for me. I don't even gun hunt, nor have i taken a gun to the woods in many years. I take the bow. But, that is just me, and the way i like to hunt. JMO

15-Jul-17
I have learned in life to never say "never" because you never know what you may be facing in life. Crow is not flavorful !!

15-Jul-17
Shot compound bow with fingers for at least 25 years. Bought a crossbow last year and like it so much that I probably will use it exclusively this season. For me the thrill is entirely in getting as close as possible to deer. After that, what I shoot them with doesn't make a bit of difference to me. I dont get any more excited shooting a deer at 10 yds with a bow than with a crossbow or gun.

15-Jul-17
Crossbows are fine, when I can't draw my compound any longer I will use one, my dad is using one now, his shoulders r done! I've never had an issue drawing my bow on game!

15-Jul-17
Again, get your own season if you are injured, old, whatever!! Even if you just want to hunt with one cause you think they are cool. Fight to get your own season, just do not call yourself a bow hunter. Look at the definition of a compound, a trad bow, a gun and a compound. Once you do that you will see that cross guns have way more in common with a gun then any bow. Shawn

15-Jul-17
Never I would pick up a gun if I could not shoot my bow and hunt in the gun seasons and leave the bow season to the guys that hunt with a bow

15-Jul-17
They have been destroying Ohio deer herd and buck management since they were legal in the general archery season in 1976 lmao

My wife and daughter both use them

Not me I went from 72 lbs down to 60 lbs and I am still capable of shooting my bow

15-Jul-17
Ok just actually finished reading this entire thread while my wife is driving us back from Clearwater!

I am belly laughing at the primordial post about shooting deer with a compound even if they are using a release! You can't make this shit up! Bunch of hypocrites!

My hats off and a deep bow to those of you who hunt traditional with wooden shafts and arrow tips made of stone. That is how many of you?

I laugh at the compound guys bashing the crossbow guys.

Face it it your hatred of crossbows is nothing but greed and selfishness nothing else!

Oh Snap a gun hunter may hunt with a crossbow and shoot a deer that may have walked in front of me?

I think I only read one post where someone spoke the truth that it could infringe on their hunt.

Lol Ohio has allowed crossbows in regular season since 1976 and I have another thread going about Ohio in chaos where many of you have said Ohio has been doing it right for many years and see no issue with NR license increase.

Perhaps you should not even come to Ohio to bow hunt or gun hunt because your allowed to use the crossbow the entire season.

Greed nothing short, just greed on the hate for crossbows.

I'm giving it 5 years until the crossbow guys bash the new airbow guys.

Oh wait how long did it take the compound guys to bash the crossbow guys?

Probably the same amount of time it took the traditional guys to bash the compound guys!!!

Gotta love hypocrisy

15-Jul-17
I use my crossbow attached to my drone and only deploy them when my cellular cameras give me the right locations in real time.

On a serious note. I have no use for crossbows in a way shape or form during our archery season or to be used in conjunction with any archery tag. For anything.

15-Jul-17
I find it funny that guys say they will give up hunting rather than use a xbow, I guess they don't love to hunt as much as others. I would use whatever possible if it keeps me in the woods hunting. Nothing better than being in the woods on a cool autum day hunting deer. Something tells me that the never crowd will come around when and if that time hits and they will use a xbow or maybe they will get that new Airbow.

15-Jul-17
No.

15-Jul-17
If "conventional" bowhunting dies a slow death it will be due to societal shifts in opportunity and expectations, not because of crossbows.

I rarely ever see a guy driving a team of horses anymore. That was one a valued and respected skill. Does anybody really miss it besides those who used to do it?

15-Jul-17
Jaq...... you make an excellent point. I have to agree 100%.

15-Jul-17
My daughter will not shoot a gun and isn't going to take the time it requires to shoot a trad or compound. But she will shoot a crossbow. I got her a crossbow because I will get her hunting ANY way I can legally. That said I was against allowing crossbows in archery season in Texas. We have a TWO month long regular gun season where crossbows have always been legal, so didn't see the need. I would vote to rescind it tomorrow.

15-Jul-17
Crossbows won't be the end of bowhunting just like engines weren't the end of driving horse teams. People choosing engine power was the end.

15-Jul-17
What will deer hunting look like in 30 years? Will there be more, or less deer hunters? Will there be enough anti-hunters to shut it down in some states?

I asked my teenage son how his buddies did during deer season (gun) and I was a little shocked when he said only a few guys & a couple girls (out of his class of about 90) hunt deer. Divorces, no place to hunt, other interests, etc., means there aren't that many kids taking up the sport these days - & we live in rural So. IL.

Is it possible that we want states to try to get more hunters, even if it means the use of crossbows?

I have hunted with and taken game with every legal means in IL - except never taken one with a crossbow. Of course that is mostly because the current crossbow season is after early archery & all the gun seasons (and happens to be the absolute worst time to hunt). I have used a compound for 25 years, harvesting many deer - but frankly, I'm over it. Practicing has just become another chore. I'm thrilled that Illinois just may make crossbows legal for all of archery season. Yes, I'll switch. I that makes me wrong or bad in someone else's opinion, so be it. But good luck making others want to do things the way you do, pretty much just because you say so.

15-Jul-17
My first post was a joke. On a serious note I really don't care if crossbows are allowed in archery season or not. I choose to shoot a compound because that's what I want to shoot. I love to hunt. If there comes a time and I can't pull a bow back for some odd reason. I will take up a crossbow.

For the guys that worry about added people in the woods here is my take. I often think back to 86 when I first started bowhunting. Life was great back then. Not a lot of people hunted with a bow then. At least in North Dakota there wasn't. You could get permission pretty easy back then. Times have changed. You have to change with the times for doing something you truely love to do.

On a side note I think Pat has gotten soft. I remember when you mentioned crossbows on bowsite and the thread would be gone. To be honest I kind of liked it:)

15-Jul-17
In 30 years there will be 30% fewer hunters. That's demographic trending supported by facts. What we don't know is what weapons the remaining hunters will be using. I'll be 93 and wont care.

15-Jul-17
"30% fewer hunters"=30% less chance of someone chasing the same elk you are, sounds good to me

15-Jul-17
That's why I tell people in seminars that the younger hunters are about to experience a new "Golden Age" of hunting, with less competition, expanded opportunity.

15-Jul-17
While I personally love shooting recurves and longbows I am not really that concerned with what others choose to shoot. To each their own. My son is 27 and busy. He likes to bird hunt with me but not much bow hunting as he is pretty busy. If he wanted to use a crossbow as he doesn't have much time or a good location to practice I would be thrilled to have him join me. Use what you love and let others use what they prefer. Don't force me to shoot a crossbow and I won't force you to use a recurve. All good.

15-Jul-17
No disrespect to you Steve, but, I hear more and more people saying they don't have time to shoot/practice with a rec/lb and I say phooey to that. Nobody is to busy to do what they want, 5 NA here 10 mins there. I would bet that your son finds time to hit a bar now and then or go out to a restaurant with friends etc... If people really want to find time they do, otherwise it's just an excuse. I shoot in my basement, its only 8/9 yards but it allows me to keep up with my shooting and when I go to a range I'm able to air it out. As hunting season approaches I shoot multiple times in the day. I hear compound shooters use the same excuse of no time and that's why they shoot comp-guns. I say BS, it is harder to shoot trad gear and folks nowadays want instant gratification, so they go the easy route, fine with me, but stop using the excuse of no time to practice.

16-Jul-17
The fact that I am posting on this site shows that I have time to kill that would be better served throwing a few arrows. Bye

16-Jul-17
In my opinion, woods walker and LBshooter get it.

I have said several times, I hunt with one. And I really like it, so shoot me.

Someone mentioned earlier about those who shoot one, complaining about them, saying they hate them. I do believe this is due to the stigma, especially on this forum. They are definitely awkard and heavy and all that other stuff, but there are drawbacks for most anything.

Another one I love is, it is for rifle hunters who tried the bow and couldn't kill anything with it. Personally I started shooting a bow when I was 8, and after 30 years of killing a lot of stuff, I tried a crossbow and liked it, so now I switch around between the bow, crossbow, and recurve, and in that order. So we all aren't poor bowhunters, that took up the crossbow.

To be perfectly honest, the reason I like the crossbow is, I am not a meat hunter, and when I hunt, I am after the biggest animal that I can find, and I want every advantage I can get,,,,,, kind of why most compound shooters don't shoot traditional - aka, a real bow. But then they want to dictate to others, just how much of an advantage that anyone should have.

If you really want to be pure, and shoot a real bow, ditch the $150 release, the $200 sight and release, and the wheels or cams attached to laminated fiberglass limbs and machined aluminum or carbon riser, and pick up a real bow, made of wood and a string - nothing more - and you will earn my respect. Then, when you bash my newfangled hunting tools, I will hang my head and know you are right.

Until then, sit down, shut up, and quit rurning my life.

16-Jul-17
Yes I have one but have I used it the answer is no not in 10 years or so. I have a compound but do I use it that would be another no not in 15 years! Stick bows is what I use. Do I like xbows ? No I don't I always felt it was loud and dangerous as well and had its draw backs. The compound was never with sites either and was used when I was hurt and that's why I eventually got an xbow. I don't have anything against any weapon to use for hunting and why would I? A hunter is a killer and why should anyone begrudge another why they decide to shoot for any reasons. Its the hunters choice of weapon is it not? LOL

I think some of you maybe should be held to a states evidence hearing and be forced to a detector test to get the truth. The consequence is not to be shammed or is it?LOL

16-Jul-17
Well, looks like we should have a Crossbow specific area of the Forum then?

16-Jul-17
As of 7,15,17 no. And I don't think about using one.

But if I could not use a bow I think I would look into a xgun.

How I see things going I believe bow season will someday be call xgun season.

16-Jul-17
Wonder how many would use them if the scope was taken off. I know people that use them because it takes little effort to do so. They even said it was nice not having to practice.

16-Jul-17

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
I use mine often to prop the door open. With or without the scope. Can't do this with a bow.

16-Jul-17
Archer, I would not worry about hunters using a crossbow or start a crossbow forum since the airbow is being sold. Once states start legalizing the airbow to hunt big game with the crossbows will be tossed in the closet. As with anything else hunters try to keep up with modern technology.

16-Jul-17
I only use one when I shoot mechanicals and use a tree stand. After I scout with trail cams that send a pic to my smart phone. Just kidding, don't own one but begrudge no one that does.

16-Jul-17
Kill kill kill .... is this what this is all about. lets make it easy ? ... air gun/cross bow/ they both aint archery .... l'll stick to my vertical hand drawn, hand drawn BOWS ....

16-Jul-17
I have seen the Airbow shoot and so far not to impressive. Accuracy wasn't great and who wants to take that out in the woods with a limited amount of shots before it has to be recharged. Plus, what does really cold wether do to the power?

16-Jul-17
Greed and selfishness? I wouldn't say that at all. I believe they belong in their own season. I've had many hunts that literally collapse because the deer heard or saw the draw. Drawing in the presence of an animal increases the odds in its favor tremendously. A crossbow is simply a gun with a string for propellant.

16-Jul-17
So are you against fully enclosed blinds then too? They can't see you draw when you're in there either.

And a gun is a weapon that uses gunpowder or some other explosive propellent to launch the projectile. A crossbow by any scientific or legal definition is NOT a firearm. You may not like them, which is fine, but you cannot make them a "gun" simply by saying they are.

16-Jul-17
WW, you and I agree on a lot of things ;0) .. .... but CROSSGUN CROSSGUN CROSSGUN !! ... dont use one one and claim to be a BOWhunter ....

16-Jul-17

16-Jul-17
"And a gun is a weapon that uses gunpowder or some other explosive propellent to launch the projectile. A crossbow by any scientific or legal definition is NOT a firearm. You may not like them, which is fine, but you cannot make them a "gun" simply by saying they are."

Explain to me please how this is incorrect?

16-Jul-17
I have a 1961 Shakespeare wonder bow a 2011 Parker blazer and a 2015 Parker thunder hawk that happens to be a crossbow. I use all three and I'm proficient with all 3. Why is it a crime to admit owning a crossbow. Come on guys n gals! If the only season we had on a species was to use a rock I'd use a rock. Can't we all get along?????

16-Jul-17
To answer ur question yes I have a crossbow and I won't appologize for it! Happy hunting!

17-Jul-17
"Greed and selfishness? I wouldn't say that at all. I believe they belong in their own season. I've had many hunts that literally collapse because the deer heard or saw the draw. Drawing in the presence of an animal increases the odds in its favor tremendously. A crossbow is simply a gun with a string for propellant."

Well is one of the advantages of comp-guns that your able to draw before the animal gets close and hold until the shot presents itself? Under your opinion comp-guns should have their own season too.

17-Jul-17
Time to liven this up.. bow season should be like muzzle loader season in some states. An actual muzzle loader with iron sights. Bow season should be a primitive weapon. No sights, O let off, no cams wheels or any other gizmos. A stick and 1 String. No entries to P&Y unless they have been taken with a primitively weapon. Now we have a real discussion topic.

17-Jul-17
Lol!^^^^^^^^^

17-Jul-17
I disagree DL. It is a proven fact that trad gear is responsible for the majority of wounded, non-recovered game.

;)

17-Jul-17
For those of you saying crossbows need their own season I have a question.

Does the crossbow season take days away from the general archery season? If so how many days?

The reason I ask is here in Ohio we have more crossbow hunters than longbow hunters (Ohio lumps traditional and compound as longbow) and crossbow kills exceed the longbow kills.

Should we have a longer crossbow season than a archery season? There are not enough longbow kills in Ohio to control the deer herd.

lol I know, I know, the guy hunting in your same state 200 miles from you may kill the deer that would have travelled over 200 miles that you could have shot!

17-Jul-17
Pop-up tents need their own season!

17-Jul-17
Habitat for wildlife, Maybe 40 years ago, but the percentage of comp-guns being used today vs trad gear I would bet the reverse is true. Today's mentality of high tech shooters is that they can make shots out to 70 plus yards in woods lol and when they see the TV hunters do it they believe even more that they can. Same with the xbow community, I hear guys talking about how they can shootout to 100 yards. Maybe hitting targets at that range, but what kind of energy does a 16/20 inch arrow/bolt have left at that range. I as a trad shooter have limits of how far I shoot and I don't try to sneak a arrow through a tiny hole of a bush, I wait for optimum shot opportunity within 30 yards.

17-Jul-17
If compounds are used they need to have governors to limit range. Range to be determined at a later long laborious discussion.

17-Jul-17
If you can't/don't spend the time to become proficient with a compound then you shouldn't hunt with a crossbow either. Sure the sights on my coyote rifle haven't lost zero since I put the nightforce on, that doesn't mean I don't check it. Every year before coyote season I check zero, shoot several different distances and shoot 40-50 rounds off a bench working on shooting mechanics. Sure a crossbow might be easier to master than a compound but a certain amount of time should be spent shooting different angles and distances and practicing. A compound might take a few more minutes per week shooting.

17-Jul-17
LB, I was only kidding. Was just keeping the pot stirred because I was bored:)

I am a compound shooter, but recognize trad gear is actually bow hunting, IMHO.

17-Jul-17
Everyone has to draw a line somewhere and for me that is crossbows not in archery season except for disabled. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I've never owned one.

17-Jul-17
If there's no crossbow section here,and animals taken with them have no validity in any record book,and pictures of crossbow kills are not welcome,why is it even a discussion point here?

17-Jul-17
The crossbow issue isn't about crossbows, its about bow season. Stuff that effects bow seasons is why its a topic here.

There isn't some giant population of frustrated crossbow hunters looking to improve their opportunity to hunt with the weapon the love. They aren't hunting with crossbows during gun season because thats where they can currently pursue their love of crossbow hunting. Heck, many actually sort of resent them even though they use them.

Its as simple as this. Some hunt bow season because they love hunting with a bow. Some hunt bow season because its a great season thats long, less crowded and maybe falls in the rut. Some are a mix.

Both sides look at the other as being selfish. One side thinks crossbow advocates are willing to diminish bowhunting and bow season just to be able to use an easier weapon. The other side thinks not allowing crossbows is elitist and just trying to block others from being a part of bow season.

Both sides also think their position is the righteous one.

17-Jul-17
If the argument isn't about keeping crossbows out of archery season then there's no issue if it's legal in that jurisdiction.I do disagree in snidely comments made in camps,internet etc criticizing a person over their choice of weapon and labelling others as less able hunters.It puts a sour divide in hunting as a whole.The beginnings of hunting wasn't about making it as difficult as possible it was about hunting food and ones ability to provide.belittling others for useing a crossbow regardless the reason just isn't ethically or morally right.

17-Jul-17
With the number of bowhunters rapidly declining, and therefore less bowhunters in the bowhunting seasons, is it time to have only one hunting season? Everyone has equal chance, no elitist seasons, all hunters can use whatever legal weapon they choose. Animals will be killed to fill the game managers quota, everyone has a good time admiring each others choice of weapon. We all get along!

17-Jul-17
I have nothing against those who use crossbows where legal. But I do have A LOT against the crossbow industry and their heavy-handed efforts to get crossbows legalized in archery seasons. For that reason, if there ever comes a time when I cannot hunt with a bow due a physical limitation, I'll use a firearm instead of a crossbow.

17-Jul-17
It is hard for me to understand why someone with a physical limitation would hunt with a firearm but not a crossbow. Hunting with a crossbow is a lot more challenging then hunting with a firearm; especially a high powered rifle and a hunter sitting in a heated tower blind overlooking a 500 acre food plot.

17-Jul-17
Why ?? because with a firearm, there isnt any hiding what they are ....

17-Jul-17
Maybe crossbows are a good fit in places where participation is down. In my state, bowhunting numbers have increased by 30% in the last 10 years. Desirable limited tags are harder than ever to get, land access is harder than ever to get, competition for season days and set-aside tags for special interests is constant. Add to that more muzzleloaders and new early rifle seasons that all overlap archery season. Crossbows wouldn't mean the sky is falling but I can't see how they would help the big issues bowhunting here faces.

17-Jul-17
WHAT A BREATH OF FRESH AIR. I have just returned from the CBA Jamboree high in the mountains of Colorado. Twelve hundred (1200) were in attendance and not a cross bow in sight. To the question: NO, never in an archery season

18-Jul-17
Paul is the CBA all traditional shoot? or so there a lot of the high tech comp-guns too?

18-Jul-17
Actually there was a recurve bow shooter with a DrawLoc on his bow. Colorado does allow xbows for the disabled. I have no issue with that. Long live the hand held hand drawn bow in the archery seasons. My opinion. my best, Paul

18-Jul-17
I dont own one. Should I become unable to draw/hold a bow, I'd apply to my state (MA) to get the permit and continue "archery" hunting with a crossbow. With the permit, if I understand the hunting law's here (I just reviewed them), with the permit, I could use the crossbow during gun season, and possibly ML. We have what some call a lesser weapon rule here. So, during archery, you can only use archery. During ML, you can use an ML or archery gear. During SG, you can use the SG, ML or archery gear. The only restriction is that you follow setback rules (same for all hunting here - 500' from dwelling/building, 150' from road) and hunter orange rules (none during archery, 500" on head, chest and back during any sort of firearm season - for deer). The rule book lumps crossbows, when permit is granted, with archery, and notes you can use archery during those other seasons. Soooo in theory if you got a permit you could use a crossbow from the start of archery in October through Dec 31 when ML season ends.

That seems pretty reasonable.

If they passed as being "legal" without permit for hunting, I'd err to simply lumping them with SG/ML seasons here. To me, the key differential is that during archery, you have to pick a moment, draw and hold the weapon.

Now, would they help get kids hooked etc - clearly for many who have posted that sort of thing has happened. And that, is freaking awesome! We certainly need that. And point blank, I'm fine with different rules for "youth" hunters however that is defined. But at some point, from a general perspective... I think crossbows could fit nicely in a gun season, and should be out of archery.

18-Jul-17
I am glad there is a lot of interest in the thread. My main reason was to see if there are enough guys who hunt with them on here maybe we could have a separate forum like hunting sites do. That's all. Not looking for approval or criticism.

18-Jul-17
No crossbow yet. I guess I'm too cheap.

19-Jul-17
A crossbow might shatter the wooden arrows I like to shoot.

19-Jul-17
Not my weapon of choice. I don't own one.

20-Jul-17
Personally, I don't consider crossbows to be "archery" equipment and with that said, I don't believe they should be included in archery only seasons. That is just my opinion and not a condemnation of anyone who uses a crossbow.

20-Jul-17
Yes.

23-Jul-17
Don't have an issue with crossbows, don't own one, not allowed here in Oregon to hunt with yet, just another weapon for the arsenal...

23-Jul-17
I bought one, but never used it, other than shooting it, in the yard and at varmits.... I got such a good deal on a Wicked Ridge 3 years ago, with the case I could not pass it up...... I loan it out now to over 3 guys, who needed one, and 2 who were having hard times, and could not afford one, at this time......

I do not have an issued with them, but I prefer the longbow and compound,,,,,

My wife may use it this year, she wants to try it,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Sitka Gear