Glunt@work 18-Jul-17
Drahthaar 18-Jul-17
Bowriter 18-Jul-17
DL 18-Jul-17
DL 18-Jul-17
Bowriter 19-Jul-17
Matt 21-Jul-17
17-Jul-17
This is not photoshopped. It's a pig that's either eaten dead squirrels poisoned with 1080 or ate some directly. This could kill you. In rodents it causes heart failure, in carnivores they die of respiratory failure. So bad news. Sad deal to have to waste meat but this is a no brainer.

17-Jul-17

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo

17-Jul-17
So poison turns a pigs (humans) innards blue ? Don't think I ever knew about this.

17-Jul-17
I don't know what 1080 is, but the hog poison " Kaput " that was approved by our Ag Commissioner reportedly does the same thing, although the manufacturer said it turned the hogs' fat a " blueish tint ". There was such an uproar that they withdrew from the state and with good reason I'd say. The whole thing was doomed from the start IMO. The active ingredient was warfarin, or rat poison. Yeah, I know people take it every day, I'm one of them, but it was still a bad idea. I don't eat wild hogs, so it wouldn't have mattered to me realistically, and I'm hoping for some kind of safe alternative, 'cause we have a huge hog problem.

17-Jul-17
That is un real looking , BLUE inside. I am with you DL , dam shame to waste all that good meat, I had rather eat wild pig than domestic. Plus poison is not selective . Forrest

17-Jul-17

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
Yep, rodenticide. I think I've killed two wild hogs with "blue fat", although not as bright as the one DL posted. Here's one I killed - not photo shopped.

17-Jul-17
Yeah warfarin causes internal hemorrhages if used as poison . I've had it after a surgery to prevent blood clots and they were constantly checking to see if the dosage was correct.

18-Jul-17
if the fat is blue and the hog is still alive, how much does it take to kill it?

18-Jul-17
wild 1 , did you still eat that blue fat pig ? Forrest

18-Jul-17
At least it turns it blue and it is obviously visible! If it wasn't visible I could see it being a bigger problem! That picture is just unreal though! It's like easter eggs.

18-Jul-17
Drahthaar -

I sent an email, along with some photos, to Dr. Jack Mayer @ Savannah River National Laboratory. He advised me not to eat it, so we didn't.

18-Jul-17
It wouldn't take the advise of DR. to keep me from eating it :^)

18-Jul-17
wild 1, good idea, always good idea to follow doctors orders . Forrest

18-Jul-17
Coumadin, a blood thinner, is nothing but warafin. I been on it for over 20-years. The blue hog thing, in the second post is fake news. It is being laughed at on several sites.

18-Jul-17
The taxidermist I got this from says he gets a couple every year in his shop that are blue. Just because it's being laughed at on some site doesn't make it fake. Google blue hog meat. There's one article about someone over in Gilroy, ca. Shooting one. Here's an article from Texas regarding it.

While Richard Poché, the president of the company that makes Kaput, assured Texans that the risk of using warfarin is minimal, local hunters are concerned. A petition opposing the use of warfarin has more than 12,000 signatures. Eydin Hansen, Vice President of the Texas Hog Hunters Association, told CBS News, “We don’t think poison is the way to go.”

Miller argued for the safety of warfarin by pointing out that it turns the dead hog’s fat bright blue, “a dead giveaway.” If I get a hunk of blue hog meat will you eat it to prove its fake?

18-Jul-17

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
In an attempt to solve the mystery, the family from Morgan Hill outside San Jose had a portion of the flesh sent to UC Davis researchers for examination. Blue pigmentation can reportedly be the result of copper poisoning, but there was no obvious source of copper on the ranch — only old mercury mine shafts that had been filled in.

The most likely explanation is that the pig ate a large amount of rat poison over time, not enough to kill it but enough to turn its fat tissue blue. It may have either consumed poisoned feed or rodents themselves, which had eaten the poison.

A paper on anticoagulant rodenticide intoxication by UC Davis researchers states that “although uncommon, some AR baits contain a dye that causes a marked color change of fat and tissues in animals after ingestion.”

This sort of unintended exposure to rat poison has led the US EPA to place greater restrictions on the use of such substances. In most cases, hunters are told that what they might discover within an animal shouldn’t make them sick. But this case is different. Experts warned against consuming any of this blue hog.

Read more at http://www.liveoutdoors.com/hunting/221365-why-is-this-wild-pig-blue-inside/#uo4YWEs1LH3ihp2f.99

Still Fake News????

19-Jul-17
Yep, if you read my post again, you will see, I plainly said "...the hog in the second post." That picture and the story that went with it when it first ran was fake. It has since, been "assumed" to be true and has run on several sites.

21-Jul-17
I have a friend who killed a hog 10-15 years ago near a dump in South San Jose that had blue fat, so probably not as uncommon as some folks think.

• Sitka Gear