NorCalVineyards 04-Aug-17
Willieboat 04-Aug-17
NorCalVineyards 05-Aug-17
NorCalVineyards 05-Aug-17
DL 08-Aug-17
NorCalVineyards 13-Aug-17
midwest 14-Aug-17
19-Jul-17
So with only 5 NR points, i'm cashing in already and elk hunting NV! I'm heading out Aug 13th, to back pack into the wilderness with my good buddy. I'm excited, blessed, anxious, nervous etc, but can't wait at the same time. I know it may be a very long time again before I go back to Nevada for elk - that does raise the stakes for me and my desire to harvest a respectable animal in the Jarbidge. At the same time, the harvest success is pretty darn low and kicking the hunt up two weeks in Aug changes the game. Again, with all of that, I'm just thankful the opportunity to be able to step up to the challenge and go find some good Nevada bulls. I'll be sharing some pics on this thread as I see em. Appreciate all of the help I have had so far in determining where to hunt, I have my #1 and #2 option laid out in front of me... Now, it's shoot broadheads, keep working on the cardio/legs and going over the gear list. Good luck fella's this season. - T

19-Jul-17
Best of luck!! Hunt

20-Jul-17
Good luck. The dates are tough. I hunted that very early archery in NV a couple years ago. I was able to glass up a lot of bulls and get on them every day, but the pre-rut and conditions(walking on potato chips) made stalks almost impossible. I'm not good at sitting on water. That was probably my downfall. The only rut activity at all was the last couple days and it was minimal, just some bugling and raking, with all the bulls grooped up. As a reference, I've taken good 6 point bulls on every hunt I've been on except this one over the last many years, including many general seasons. Those dates are TOUGH to say the least.

20-Jul-17
what units did you draw? I know its Jarbridge. I may have some intel. was scouting deer in 060s last week.

20-Jul-17
It's the 072 cluster that includes the wilderness.

20-Jul-17
Sit the preferred water holes and good luck! Enjoy!

20-Jul-17
ElkOCD- what were the dates of your hunt? This year it's 16-31 Aug. I don't expect any rutting activity and will be looking for bachelor groups. With all the rain and snow it should be green up there this year.

20-Jul-17
Good luck Tony! Think water!

20-Jul-17
Best wishes for a fantastic adventure!

20-Jul-17
Fellas, if we run into some heavy traffic wallows we will surely post up during the day. Primary tactic will be getting where we can see good elk country early and late.

20-Jul-17
Fellas, if we run into some heavy traffic wallows we will surely post up during the day. Primary tactic will be getting where we can see good elk country early and late.

04-Aug-17
Hitting the road in 9 days and counting... Looks like the high's in Jarbidge are in the low 80's, and the lows in the low 50's - plenty warm. ... We will be at the wilderness boundary on the afternoon of the 14th, packing in that day and glassing that evening, following up with a full day of scouting on the 15th.

04-Aug-17
Find water and be patient. They will be moving early and late. Find a water source between bedding and night time feeding. We watched many in the moonlight across the desert many evenings and they fed all night long and were headed for their bedroom within the first 20 min. of daylight each morning. We sat wallows from 1/2 hour before daylight to dark and took 4 nice bulls in 6 days.

04-Aug-17
Good Luck Brother! Have a great time!

04-Aug-17
Mt. Man - I appreciate your comments, sounds logical and a good idea. The moon should be diminishing at about 50% when we start out, showing up around 1am in the morning. I take that as they may feed out a little earlier in the evening but the heat will play a big factor.

04-Aug-17
Have fun ! The heat is a non factor.... I will be surprised if you see less than 25 bulls the first day !

05-Aug-17
Willieboat, sounds good to me!

05-Aug-17
A solar eclipse miles into Jarbidge will be quite a show on top of all the elk!

08-Aug-17
Hope it's a big one.

13-Aug-17

NorCalVineyards's embedded Photo
NorCalVineyards's embedded Photo
The trip begins with a stop in Boomtown at the all you can eat lobster buffett, Jarbidge manana.

14-Aug-17
Day-um!

• Sitka Gear