Bowfreak 20-Jul-17
OFFHNTN 21-Jul-17
Ogoki 22-Jul-17
ELKMAN 22-Jul-17
patdel 22-Jul-17
XMan 25-Jul-17
RD in WI 25-Jul-17
19-Jul-17
Was wondering if anybody would be willing to recommend a hinge style release. I've been reading a little and would like to play with one, but don't know anything about them.

Trying to break habit of punching the trigger. Would prefer one with a safety.

19-Jul-17
Lots of releases. Best bet would find a place where you could try some. See what fits best on your hand.

Carter Honey 2 is a good one with a safety

Tru ball HBC is a real popular one.

19-Jul-17
Best one I've found is a back tension, made by carter for Nock on Archery called silverback. It cured me quickly

19-Jul-17
Carter honey 2 and set the peg so you let off to release the safety.

19-Jul-17
Carter Evolution is what you are looking for. Great release, has a safety on it and forces you to pull through the shot and have a proper set up. John Dudley has some good tutorials on it's use. Not sure but I think that the Silverback may be much the same.

19-Jul-17
The Carter Evolution is basically the same as the silverback except the silverback is a two finger release that John Dudley developed with Carter.

20-Jul-17
I use a Trueball Fulcrum hinge in the off season then switch to the Abyss to hunt with. The Abyss is identical to the Fulcrum, except that it has a trigger. You can shoot it with back tension as well, but the trigger is there if you need it. Great system.

20-Jul-17
Changing releases is often important to killing TP. But...you must address the root of the problem at the time while changing releases. If not you just learn to punch our new release.

21-Jul-17
TruBall HT and HBC are my favorites. Shot 5 animals with the HT3 last year and will use it again this year.

22-Jul-17
I didn't know why I would freeze before I got my pin on target. Finally realized I was dealing with target panic. Purchased the Scott Longhorn Hex. I could immediately see better results. I am well pleased with this release. My friend tried mine and went home and ordered one too. If I don't shoot for awhile , my first shot or two , i try to punch it , but with a few shots every few days i am fine with it. I guess old habits ( my unconscious mind) kicks in. I hunt with this release and use no other release. I very seldom ever post here, but this release got me BACK to shooting good again. I know the frustration that I went thru ,so I hate to see someone else deal with this .

22-Jul-17
The new Tru-Fire Sear is the most versatile nicest one I've owned and I've been shooting hinges for 18-19 years.

22-Jul-17
Thanks for all the replies guys. I don't have a local shop that carries any of these, so I'm just gonna have to pick one of the ones mentioned. All the local shops just carry the standard wrist rocket variety.

25-Jul-17
I had the same issue and went to a Carter Evolution. I use it exclusively now for 3D and hunting. It's a pull threw release with a thumb knob to squeeze prior to pulling through the shot. It will not cure your target panic. if you decide to go back to a trigger style release, it will crop right back. However, I bet you won't have target panic with this release because mentally it changes how you shoot and it's damn hard to panic pulling through the shot. There is a new true fire release called panic x that you might want to try first. It makes you squeeze the trigger gently and not punch it or it won't go off.

25-Jul-17
I shoot a Carter just-b-cuz that I actuate using the bone of my thumb near my palm rather than the thumb itself. I removed the knurled trigger and just place the arm that it was affixed to against my thumb bone and rest my actual thumb on the rounded part of the release. It takes me a while to set it off by increasing pressure, but I just concentrate on aiming while waiting. After doing this for a bit, I can shoot my trigger finger style release with no anticipation. I keep both releases handy and shift between the two depending on my comfort level. Good luck

• Sitka Gear