Charlie Rehor 25-Jul-17
Treeline 25-Jul-17
Fisher 26-Jul-17
Fuzzy 26-Jul-17
milnrick 26-Jul-17
DonVathome 26-Jul-17
yooper89 26-Jul-17
21-Jul-17
Can someone recommend a good book or 2 on bow hunting? Might as well get one coming for tree stand sits.Thanks for you help

21-Jul-17
Fred Bears Field Notes.

21-Jul-17
Get yourself some C J Box paperbacks; Joe Pickett novels. Joe is a Wyoming game warden that gets in all sorts of interesting situations. Great tree stand reading just remember to look up now & then.

21-Jul-17
At First Light by fellow bowsiter Sandy Harris!!!

21-Jul-17
"The History Of Wisconsin Bowhunting", 325 pages, lots of historic photos, available from the WI Bowhunters Assoc.

21-Jul-17
What Brotsky said; At First Light, you won't be sorry.

21-Jul-17
I have enjoyed reading books by the Wensel's. Both Gene and Barry have books that are excellent reads. I enjoy the Wensel sense of humor.

22-Jul-17
Mapping Trophy Bucks

25-Jul-17
"The Witchery of Archery" by Maurice Thompson

25-Jul-17
I've read the Wensel books as well. Loved em. I imagine Fred Bear's field notes would be an awesome read - might have to put that on the Christmas list!

25-Jul-17
I'm a book junkie. At times I'll read quite a bit. In 3 thirteen hour consecutive wallow sits, I think I read 13 or 14 John Sandford novels. It's the only way I could sit there. And it paid off with a shot

Anyways. As far as reading stuff for hunting sits, in my opinion you'll want an easy read, that will allow you to be distracted yet still entertain. Basically you won't be bored, but it doesn't take full concentration.

Louis Lamour books are great for this.

I like John Sandfords Prey series too. Google their order and read em in order.

Wilbur Smiths books are good shoot em up books. Pretty graphic.

Sandy Harris book was a really enjoyable read.

I reread the Harry Potter books pretty much every fall from a tree stand. And my second reading of the Game of Throne books was from a tree stand throughout a fall season.

I enjoy reading, and I don't find that it diminishes my chances. But I also won't read in a stand if I can't hear. If it's wet, windy, close cover, field edge, etc, then I don't read

25-Jul-17
I remember when I was a kid reading "Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway. Got me dreaming big:)

25-Jul-17
Hemingway's African hunting tales were definitely good for big dreams... Not bowhunting, though.

There are a few that are worth looking into:

"Hunting with the Bow and Arrow", Dr. Saxon Pope "Bows on the Little Delta", Glenn St. Charles "Ishi, In Two Worlds", Theodora Kroeber "Hunting the Hard way", Howard Hill

26-Jul-17
Get all of the books written by Patrick McManus. They are very entertaining and funny outdoor stories. Wife, son, and I used to take turns reading aloud. Very good memories. (No, we did not have cable tv or any tv.)

26-Jul-17
Fisher, same here . "P.F. Worthless" was my childhood role model :)

26-Jul-17
Fisher...great ideas, BUT, I really don't think Patrick McManus' books are a good choice for someone who needs (or hopes) to stay quiet in the woods. I know there wasn't a single story in A Fine and Pleasant Misery, or They Shoot Canoes, Don't They that didn't have me giggling or belly laughing out loud.

26-Jul-17
CA life at full draw

26-Jul-17
Just ordered Hunting with the Bow and Arrow... should be here in about 2 days. Just enough time to finish American Buffalo (Steve Rinella)!

• Sitka Gear