Tilzbow 28-Jul-17
Bowman 26-May-19
BIGERN 26-May-19
petedrummond 27-May-19
petedrummond 27-May-19
MDcrazyman 27-May-19
1HankS 28-May-19
22-Jul-17
I am in the market for a new rangefinder (I know there are lots of Rangefinder threads but none that answered my question) and would like to get the best possible glass for the money (my budget $300-$500). I am almost exclusively a archer, that being said I really have no use for this 1000+ yrd ranging stuff (if it does that also, fine). I would like good angle comp, a great sight picture and most importantly great glass. What I mean by that is, I am looking for a rangefinder that performs very well in low light conditions.

I bought a Nikon several years ago and have been incredibly disappointed with it's low light performance. Thanks for the info in advance!

22-Jul-17
Archery only range finders usually have a lower quality laser. They're thicker and pick up more airborne moisture/debris, which translates to poor or no readings under some conditions. I to had bad luck with the Nikon Archers Choice. Also have a fairly new Bushnell that will not read on black targets and that really sucks for spot and stalk bears.

You may get good glass, but if you can't get ranges, you may as well just put the money toward better binos.

Currently using a Leopold 1000 R (forget the exact model ) which has been great in all conditions and good glass.

22-Jul-17
Thanks Ambush, I am not necessarily looking for a "archery only" range finder. I guess what I want to make sure of is that I am not spending more money on a rangefinder because it can reach out to 1500 yds accurately when I could have spent that money on something that only ranged to 500 but had high quality glass that performed well in low light conditions. I may find through this thread that something like the Leupold 1000 or the Sig is still my best overall bet which would be fine.

22-Jul-17

SixLomaz's Link
Take a good look at LEUPOLD RX-1200i TBR/W with DNA Laser Rangefinder. Perfect for every occasion and for any weapon. You will never need another rangefinder unless you lose it or break it.

22-Jul-17
Super happy with my Leupold RX1000 TBR with DNA had it for about 6 years

22-Jul-17
Have a Leica and Vortex. The Leica is LOS only, the Vortex has angle compensation. They are within a few yds of each other on angled shots at long (rifle) distance and a yard or two at close (archery) distance.

23-Jul-17
Leica

23-Jul-17
Leica for me too.

In my experience, lower cost rangefinders will pickup twigs, grasses, etc and provide incorrect distance readings when the intended target is beyond.

23-Jul-17
I have the Leica and also jVe had a couple of Leupold s, rx600 and rx1000 and now how a Leupold full draw as well. Honestly didn't see much difference in any of them. I would try to stay with brands that gernerlly offer higher quality products and skip over the rebranding crap. By all accounts the new SIGs are getting good reviews. The only way your going to get high in optical performance in any of them is if you get a binoculars with range finders built in. In that case get a Swarovski and call it a day.

23-Jul-17
Are you interested in bino/RF combo options?

23-Jul-17
The SIG 2200 has been working well for me.

26-Jul-17
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I think I have settled on the Leupold.

Bill in MI - I haven't considered the combo, I guess my hang up there being a bowhunter is that very quick, one handed, close range check of a target that would have me hesitant on a combo but I must admit you got me thinking!

26-Jul-17
The Sig Kilo 850 is on camofire today for $145. That is a great price for unit that will do everything you need it to and more!

26-Jul-17
My Leupold is a couple years old, I think it's a RX1000 or 1200. Can't remember. I like it a LOT over my older Nikon.

I think it's pretty darn good glass, honestly

26-Jul-17
Go to Camofire right now for Sig Sauer 1250 ($210) and 850 ($145).

26-Jul-17
.....Apparently, I have fat fingers. I mean the SIG2000 has worked well for me.

27-Jul-17
Been running the Leica for several years now. Some of the things I like about the Leica were the red reticle shows up well in low light, sleek, pocket-sized design, and could range across shoot-through netting.

27-Jul-17
I have been running a Leupold RX-750 that I bought on sale as a closeout when they were upgrading to a different model. It has served me well and is still on the original batteries. If I were to upgrade, it would be for a Leupold with digital readout for lower light conditions, although I tend to use my rangefinder when I set up a new stand location to range landmarks in advance.

27-Jul-17
Leica by far best glass and warrenty

27-Jul-17
I have a Leupold RX1000 TBR with DNA I have used it since 2012. It got to where I couldn't read the bottom half of the readout. I sent it back to them on July 11th and they replaced it with the RX 1200i TBR W by July 25th. Their warranty and service is excellent.

28-Jul-17
Leica is best glass.

Sig is best combination of all features.

28-Jul-17
Does anyone know of one that works in fog? It may not exist but thought I'd ask?

28-Jul-17
NOT vortex!!!

28-Jul-17
I can name at least three that I've owned that didn't work in fog, rain or light snow. Short range ones are the worst because of the wide laser beam.

So far my current Leopold TBR with DNA has been good.

28-Jul-17
Nikon has good glass and not over priced.

28-Jul-17
For clearest view (AKA "best glass") you'll want a range finder with numbers and info displayed via a LED vs. LCD. I know Vortex, SIG, Leica, Leupold all use LEDs in their higher end model. I know Nikon, and many others, only or primarily use LCD displays. With an LCD display you must look through the LCD which will cause some level of distortion. You'll find this information in the specs of each rangefinder.

26-May-19
Many interesting aspects and I'm sure you have to check out vintage shop fronts at https://www.glassstructureslimited.com/shop-fronts/ and they install the best glass, repair it and much more!

26-May-19

BIGERN's embedded Photo
BIGERN's embedded Photo
I will agree with the Vortex NOT reading in the fog. I was just at the Total archery challenge in Vermont this weekend and it was of no use at all in the clouds/fog. Other than maybe being a little slow to read I do really like it, the red digital display is easy to read under all conditions for me. PS, Is the fog a no go for all rangefinders, figure it might be??

27-May-19

petedrummond's embedded Photo
petedrummond's embedded Photo
german and austrian no surprise there Swarvo has an excellent out of production you can still get around your price range.

27-May-19
8x mono sells between 600 to 800 buks great optics

27-May-19
Leica

28-May-19
Sounds like you may have made up your mind but I really like Leica glass. All I use while bowhunting the the Leica range finder...now, I'm not really sure why I bought the binoculars as well.

• Sitka Gear