BOHNTR 27-Jul-17
6x7 27-Jul-17
Mad_Angler 27-Jul-17
Glunt@work 27-Jul-17
planebow 27-Jul-17
planebow 27-Jul-17
LaGriz 28-Jul-17
24-Jul-17
Hello, I'm looking for a good lightweight tarp for backpack hunting (elk and mule deer in Sept). Something I can use for a shelter and laying meat on. It would likely replace my two man tent if weather looks good. I've looked at the Kifaru tarps but want to hear some feedback from those that have used them. Thanks and good hunting.

Matt Houska

24-Jul-17
I used tyvek to bone meat out on. It worked well but I'd consider it a one and done deal for meat, it was pretty wrecked and covered in blood. At the price point I didn't think twice about pitching it. You can buy sticker tabs that supposedly can withstand 50lbs of pull.

24-Jul-17
Depending on where you are elk hunting I would think twice about sleeping under a tarp that was covered in blood earlier in the day...8^)

A sheet of tyvek can fold down pretty small and don't weigh much. Id use something like that for the butchering and have a separate tarp for my sleeping area...jmo

24-Jul-17
I always keep an 8x10 foot tarp of any brand in my pack. It's great for cleaning an animal and doubles as an emergency shelter. When they're new in the package, they're more compact. You can also put it over your tent/pack and secure the sides with rocks to give your tent/pack added protection against prolonged heavy rain/hail/snow.

24-Jul-17
I just keep a cheap space blanket in my kill kit. Light, compact, double duty.

24-Jul-17
Until you kill an elk bloody up that blanket and get lost... hahaha. You'd be a bacon wrapped snack.

24-Jul-17
Look at Jimmy's Tarps on ebay. They are similar to Kifaru's. They are less expensive, lighter in weight, but (likely) less durable. I just picked one up last week but haven't used it so hopefully somebody here has experience.

24-Jul-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
These heavy duty tarps have served me well for many years. 30 oz, and around $35.

I have used them over the tent, as a rain shelter, and by them selves as a bivy shelter.

24-Jul-17

24-Jul-17
I've used the Kifaru Megatarp and it worked very well. It's super expensive though. I replaced it with a Bearpaw Wilderness Designs Canopy tarp at about 1/3 the cost. It has work as well for me. I'm sure it's not as durable but I don't get out enough to justify the price difference. Last year I picked up a BPWD 5x9 tarp that I keep in my pack for breaking meat down. It's lightweight and fairly inexpensive. It worked well last year during rifle season. I too wouldn't want to be under a bloody or "meaty" smelling tarp.

24-Jul-17
Paul I like the bivy. That's the same one I use.

24-Jul-17
"Until you kill an elk bloody up that blanket and get lost... hahaha. You'd be a bacon wrapped snack."

LOL. Yeah. It gets retired after being a clean surface for meat. I'll wrap it around the skull for the pack out to help contain any blood etc.

If you're looking for a versatile, packable and durable square tarp, check out Cooke's Custom Sewing. Their Tundra Tarps are great. Catch them when they have a deal going on with in-stock tarps and life is good. Same with Bearpaw Wilderness Designs.

24-Jul-17

Mad_Angler's Link
You're looking for 2 different tarps.

For a shelter or emergency, check out CookeCustomSewing. He is a cult figure for canoe camping. His tarps are among the best. They are very light and extremely strong. They have extra tie-out loops to allow a variety of configurations.

For meat, you could cut a contractor garbage bag to make a single sheet or use a piece of tyvek.

24-Jul-17
For a general use tarp that'll cover what you want plus an emergency shelter, check out simply light designs. For a lightweight tarp shelter, look at Jimmy tarps. God Bless men

25-Jul-17

Barty1970's embedded Photo
Barty1970's embedded Photo
My Paratarp is snug for two with gear...but great for one plus gear

25-Jul-17
Workshop Tools has some cheap, thin 4'x6' tarps I use for meat. They have grommets but are not super sturdy for use as a shelter unless it's just a one night emergency type thing.

25-Jul-17
Ha! Mad Angler tagged it. I know Cooke's from paddling. The nylon tape on the edges adds a lot of additional strength for a small amount of weight.

25-Jul-17
I carry a Mylar space blanket in case a miracle happens and I need a clean surface for meat, I also carry a 6x9 sil-nylon Jimmys Flat Tarp for emergency and shade purposes. I will pick up a Kifaru Sheep tarp when I see a deal on one, they have more tie points etc and slightly smaller in size. I tried bivying under a tarp a few nights last year, it was great scouting because I stayed in bed till the sun came up and warmed things up some. During hunting season it was damn hard climbing out of the warm sleeping bag in the morning. If you are talking like a Mega Tarp instead of a flat tarp, I kind of think for just a little more weight that the Tut would be more comfortable and if you are hunting with somebody, the sawtooth is even better

25-Jul-17
For a shelter I would recommend a something like a Kifaru Megatarp.

For an emergency shelter, take a look at the Z Packs Cuban Fiber tarps or the Kifaru Sheep Tarp.

For quartering/boning out meat, I've used a rectangle of fluorescent orange silnylon made by Bearpaw Wilderness Designs.

27-Jul-17
heard alot of good things about the the Kifaru and warbonnet,,,,, I currently use a Hennessy XL though because it came free with my hammock.

27-Jul-17
Another vote for Jimmy Tarps. Lighter and less expensive than others. Tyvek is another lightweight option. Good luck in your pursuit!

27-Jul-17
For backpacking (lightweight and pack ability) there is no better than a Siltarp by Integral Designs.

27-Jul-17
I recently picked up a kelty noah 12. Not the lightest but per its reviews and price tag it was hard to drop upwards of twice the cash on something else.

27-Jul-17
A simply light designs silpoly tarp, measuring 9 feet by 5 feet wide, weighs some where in the 8 ounce range and costs a whopping $69 tyd.

27-Jul-17
+1 Barty1970. I am a fan of the slightly bigger supertarp but same idea. That and a piece of Tyvek are mostly all i use anymore.

27-Jul-17
A Noah tarp isn't bad for the money, ditch the heavy pack it's in and change out the guys lines. I also haven't heard any complaints about Jimmy tarps as well. He had face book page to message him vs buying on eBay better deal for both parties. That said I really like my mega tarp.

27-Jul-17
BOHNTR wrote: "For backpacking (lightweight and pack ability) there is no better than a Siltarp by Integral Designs."

I have to disagree. The Cooke Custom Sewing tarps are made in Minnesota rather than China. They are lighter and have more tie out. They are also the same price. I suspect that Integral just stole the Cooke design and had them made in China.

Also, I think Integral is out of business now...

(Sorry but I have a pet peeve about folks stealing other folks design and taking them to China. I've seen it with Dave Smith Decoys and Cookshack smokers. Admittedly, I don't have any proof of it in the case of Integral)

27-Jul-17
Jimmy tarps

27-Jul-17
Mad_Angler:

I've tested the Cooke tarps.....it ripped the first time I used it in the alpine. NO THANKS! They made good on it, but I need equipment that is going to be dependable at 12,000'.

I do agree that they are an option.

27-Jul-17
I've ran a Kifaru Supertarp for years with no complaints. I carry an emergency space blanket for elk meat. Nice and light.

27-Jul-17
BOHNTR... Wow. I am surprised. I have use several of their tarps in very large blows. They never showed any sign of wear and certainly did not rip. But I guess that it can happen. Glad to hear (but not surprised) that they made good on it.

27-Jul-17
Cooke has 1.1oz and 1.9oz, maybe thats the difference? I have been looking at them.

27-Jul-17
In have one of these. Very light and versatile. You can pick these up on camofire once in a while for 60 some dollars

27-Jul-17
In have one of these. Very light and versatile. You can pick these up on camofire once in a while for 60 some dollars https://slumberjack.com/satellite-tarp/

28-Jul-17
Look hard at a DST from Seek Outside. light tarp with many tie outs and options to pitch. I would agree with the group that a small length of Tyvek (or painter's plastic) to stack the meat would your best low cost option. LaGriz

• Sitka Gear