0hndycp 24-Jul-17
Destroyer350 24-Jul-17
midwest 24-Jul-17
Kat Daddy 25-Jul-17
bowonly 25-Jul-17
highmarkX 25-Jul-17
Bigdan 25-Jul-17
24-Jul-17
Was lucky and drew a moose tag this year in 301 -50 here in MT. I spent time bow hunting the unit back in college and certainly have seen moose there. However I have not been back to that part of the state in a number of years and thought I would ask if anyone had any information that they would be willing to share. I have never hunted moose anywhere before but have certainly seen a good number of them growing up and still see them often while chasing elk. I have talked with the biologist and a game warden from the area but figured I would see what anyone on Bowsite might be able to help me with. If this is not a proper channel to explore this opportunity I apologize. Feel free to PM if you would rather that than putting something on the forums.

thanks in advance and happy hunting.

24-Jul-17
I used to archery elk hunt that area a bunch years ago. You would always see moose in the willow bottoms of bloody dick creek. I would see the bigger bulls in the tributaries of bloody dick back in several miles, at least until the rut then you would see them more frequently in the main bloody dick drainage.

I haven't seen near the moose numbers in there since I started hearing wolves howling though!

24-Jul-17
That sounds like a horrible drainage to hunt lmao!

24-Jul-17
Bloody Dick Creek???? that sounds really uncomfortable

24-Jul-17
Almost spit my coffee onto my windshield the first time I saw the sign!

24-Jul-17
Prayers sent to the guy who the drainage/creek was named after.

24-Jul-17
Must have had the "more than 4 hours" issue. 8^o

25-Jul-17
Thanks for the info. I was planning on spending most of my time in and around Bloody Dick. What would you guess the best time to hunt them is? I was thinking pre rut into the rut and thinking that should be somewhere between the middle of September through the first week in October? After the rut I imagine they peel back off into the higher drainages and become tougher to find.

thanks again..

25-Jul-17
As I understand it, the features in that area were named after an Englishman who resided in the area in the late 1800s. As the story goes, he used/overused the English expression "bloody" all the time. Obviously, he went by the nickname of "Dick". So, he got a creek named after him. I know, a pretty tame explanation foe a colorful name.

But, I am still trying to figure out how a drainage near where I live got the name "Wet Georgia" ?

25-Jul-17
I have seen them while driving to and from hunts around Selway Creek and the West side of the Bar Double T up past the Guard station. If I had a moose tag I would hit it the hardest the 1st week of October. I have helped a few friends in the past years and that always seems to be the magic week of the rut. Good luck

25-Jul-17
I killed one in the last drainage at the end of the road on Selway creek but it was a dec hunt I killed several elk over the years in that unit and saw lots of moose

• Sitka Gear