SixLomaz 25-Jul-17
newfi1946moose 25-Jul-17
Buskill 25-Jul-17
Charlie Rehor 25-Jul-17
SixLomaz 25-Jul-17
tommygun 25-Jul-17
Buskill 25-Jul-17
25-Jul-17
We have discussed travel at length but a few other questions came to mind. I'm getting the feeling from various posts that 2 150qt coolers are about adequate to bring home one processed moose . What about the cape ? Once skinned out and frozen how did you transport it ? What size cooler did it go in ? Also, I've never put a bear hide in a cooler . What size cooler would that take ?? I do understand a bear harvest is not likely .

25-Jul-17
Last year we had four coolers for two moose and we where a bit short. Keep in mind we didn't process the moose it was just boned out. We had a pair of yeti 110, a yeti105 and yeti 45. We didn't bring back the capes either. Next trip we will add another 100 plus at cooler to the mix as well as I have a woody tag also.

25-Jul-17
I would go with 3 x 150 quart coolers. Assuming an 800 lbs gross weight moose you will probably end up with 30% to 40% deboned meat, which translates to about 240 lbs to 320 lbs meat only. Ideally one cubic foot will hold about 30 lbs of packaged meat. Therefore you will need 8 cubic feet to 11 cubic feet volume space to store only the packaged meat. The inside measurements of a 150 quart Coleman cooler are 13 inches X 15 inches X 35 inches which yields about 4 cubic feet per cooler. Having a 3rd cooler will definitely help with bringing the meat, the hide and the bones (yummy marrow) back home. It is cheaper to use waxed butcher paper for meat packaging and as long as you wrap the meat tight in paper, waxed side in, you will have no freezer burn issues. I hope this helps. Good luck, shoot straight, and have fun.

25-Jul-17
Headed for our 7th trip to The Rock beginning Oct. this fall. We take 150s...2 each and extras just in case. With three hunters we put our gear in them for the trip out and then soft bag hunting gear for the trip back. Have a very full boxed-in truck bed. You will need a third one to bring cape. A 150 will take a bear cape. If a cooler not full...pack a sleeping bag on top of frozen meat and lock cover tight. My meat has made the trip home to OK 6 times frozen solid. Long drive for great hunting...good luck!

25-Jul-17
Ok, if I take 3 150's you think I'd be good for meat and possibly room for a moose cape in that 3rd cooler also ? I'm glad I've got a decent sized pick up...

25-Jul-17
Wait until you see the 100's of pick-ups in line at the ferry. What ever you bring will seem small. Guys come from all over the states and Canada and are quite resourceful. Generators and walk in coolers will be seen!! Have a ball!

25-Jul-17
The outfitter should offer freezer space to get the meat/cape ready for the trip. I think you will be OK for 1 NL moose with 3 x 150 quart coolers. Now, if you get lucky and also add a bear to the moose then you may be cutting it too close. You can also do what Charlie suggested. Bring along a 12 to 16 cubic feet chest freezer powered by a gasoline generator and/or from a battery bank charged from 1-2 solar panels and/or directly from your truck alternator.

25-Jul-17
We had a enclosed trailer with generator. One 22 and one 8 cu ft freezers that was big enough for three moose and a caribou. We had all four animals butchered and even vacuum sealed at camp. Then brought to town to be frozen before we left so running generator all night wasn't really needed. Always plan worse case of shooting animal last evening...not getting things frozen and then having to space out meat and put ice in there. Didn't have any capes though

25-Jul-17
I'll have access to a butcher and freezer . If I happen to shoot a moose late in the week I have the shipping already figured out .

• Sitka Gear