Moose
Contributors to this thread:
Double Creek 25-Jul-17
Tilzbow 25-Jul-17
Chasin Bugles 26-Jul-17
highmarkX 26-Jul-17
Double Creek 26-Jul-17
25-Jul-17
I was lucky enough to draw the one non resident Moose tag in Unit 111. I am 2,300 miles from that unit and I'm thinking the smart thing to do would be hire an outfitter... Any suggestions for that area? Any advice, tips, etc is greatly appreciated!

Joel

25-Jul-17
I drew 101 in 2015 and used Andrew Cote at Montana Mountain West Outfitters and highly recommend him. Not sure he hunts 111 but it'd be worth calling him to find out. If he doesn't he hunt that unit he might recommend someone.

26-Jul-17
Joel, I live on the south end of the unit and have spent a lot of time in 111. The unit is pretty thick in spots but there are some burns and clear cuts scattered throughout the area as well. I would plan on hunting the last week of September and first week of October when they are cruising for cows. Plenty of big bulls around but not always easy to find. A buddy took a B&C on Mountain Meadow Road a few years back. Also know of a big bull that has been hanging around Sylvia Lake the last few years. As far as I know he's still there.

26-Jul-17
It has been a few years since I have hunted in the area, but I use to spend quite a bit of time up there when my dad was logging. We use to see a few moose on Good Creek. And I am not sure, but you use to be able to go up Good Creek over the top on Alder Creek and drop back down Martin Creek. Quite a lot of driving, but you can see a lot of the country. I know up on top of Martin Creek there are a few swampy marshes. I have them marked on my gps and I can PM you the coordinates so you can put them into google earth and at least get a general idea. It is some thick country. And the best time to be there is the beginning of October.

26-Jul-17
Thanks for the help guys, please keep it coming as I am soaking it all in!

Joel

• Sitka Gear