BullBuster 30-Jul-17
Brotsky 31-Jul-17
Pyrannah 31-Jul-17
Brotsky 31-Jul-17
BullBuster 31-Jul-17
PECO 31-Jul-17
Fulldraw1972 31-Jul-17
25-Jul-17
any recommendations on puffy vests/coats? I do not plan to wear it as an outer layer so camo is last concern but looking for something inexpensive that will be a GREAT insulating layer...

I remember a comparison post awhile back, but couldn't find it...

thanks in advance

25-Jul-17
If you don't want to spend a lot of money look at the ones by "Hawk & Co" on Amazon. pretty decent for the money. Otherwise there are a lot of choices based on what you want to spend. Check out the REI garage.

25-Jul-17

kota-man's Link
Here you go.

25-Jul-17
I've only owned one. But, it keeps me warm down into the low 20's with a synthetic or merino wool base layer and a wool button up shirt. If others work better, I can't imagine how. Mine is a Browning Primaloft. 100 grams of insulation. Paid a whopping $39.99 for it on sale. Only thing I'll advise about it is to up size at least one full size. It said athletic cut and, had I not taken heeded advise and bought the XXL, it'd been tighter through the shoulders than I like with these layers on. So, it's not a true athletic cut. It's more of a smaller size per size kinda thing. God Bless

25-Jul-17
I have a Cabelas Instinct Primaloft puffy that's my current favorite.

25-Jul-17
I got some at Costco for under $20. They worked great, very lightweight.

26-Jul-17
First Lite Cirrus is an incredible piece.

26-Jul-17
Found an Eddie Bauer down vest with a canvas like material, warm as can be.

26-Jul-17
I have the Uncompahgre. I like it a lot and the beauty is that it fits me. The Kryptek and Kuiu versions are much smaller in the same size.

26-Jul-17
This is one piece that has almost unlimited options in all price ranges that are serviceable. Pick one that works for you at your price point. I use a Kuiu super down. Very light and extremely packable.

26-Jul-17
I like my Firstlite Uncompaghre as well.

26-Jul-17
That hawk and co down vest for 20$ at wallmart sure looks like it's worth a try.

26-Jul-17
I like a down vest for a packable layer. I only wear it when I stop moving. Cabelas has one for about 50 bucks, with 650 fill, which is plenty to keep me warm down into the low 20s. I use a small dry bag to compress it in my daypack...super light, and it packs down very small. If I need wind or rain protection, I just add the Space Rain Jacket for an outer layer.

Best of Luck, Jeff

26-Jul-17
Costco is selling the 32* down vest and Paradox down jackets right now. Not camo......gray or black available here in BC, and weigh 8.5 and 13.5 oz respectively. They come with nice little stuff sacks, but I just stuff them into their own pocket and use the stuff sacks for other purposes on backpack trips. No hood, but a lot of warmth for $25 (vest) and $50 jacket (Canadian price and should be 3/4 that in the US). I've had the vest for 2 years and love it. Good luck!

27-Jul-17
Kifaru parka is nice too

27-Jul-17

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo

28-Jul-17
Just received a new Kuiu Superdown in 2XL and its too tight in the torso. I normally take a XL. My XL Sitka Kelvin is 3 inches wider than the 2XL Kuiu. Irritating.

28-Jul-17
I have a kuiu super down as well. I love that puffy. It's camo though. On a cheaper side I have a REI coop in green. If I remember right it was just under $100. Weight is 10.5 oz's.

28-Jul-17
I bought an XL kuiu superdown this spring off Rokslide and it's been great. I've only given it a real test up in canada fishing but it held true. That, with rain gear, will be more than enough to keep me warm glassing this fall.

29-Jul-17
Hooded or non hooded? I have the Core4 with out a hood. Just to carry to keep warm I think one with a hood would be better. I may upgrade.

29-Jul-17
I have a bunch, and the one that finds its way in my pack most often it's the Sitka down ultra light. I rarely ever where a puffy as an outerlayer so I finding this layers best under either my hard or soft shell. It's very warm for the weight and packs down to nothing

29-Jul-17
Picked up Eddie Bauer storm down microlite jacket this yr for $109. Camo too dark but the price was good for waterproof down. Athletic fit is great for me

29-Jul-17
Handle should be nvgoat but auto correct on iPad. Have tried to edit but won't change

29-Jul-17
...double post

30-Jul-17
I have Kuiu. Not worth the money because so noisy. You can get non camo stuff that is just as good for a lot less. You can't hunt up close and personal with them because of the noise.

31-Jul-17
I've shot late season whitetails at 10 yards wearing my Kuiu super down, noise was never an issue as long as it's layered under something quiet. If you are wearing it as an outer layer you will have noise issues with the Kuiu for sure.

31-Jul-17
thanks for all the comments..

brotsky, do u use coats or vests as a layer?

i like the kuiu vest but a bit outside what i wanted to spend

31-Jul-17
If I'm stationary and it's real cold I'll go with the coat. If it's really cold and I'm going to be on the move more I'll go with a vest. Depends upon your use. Don't get caught up in brand here so much as quality. If you plan to use it as a layer then camo is not a concern, a lot of guys listed great pieces on here that are reasonably priced. The only reason I use the Kuiu is because I was able to pick it up at a big discount on one of their sales, otherwise I would have went with one of the other, cheaper suggestions.

31-Jul-17
If you have to wear KUIU down as in inner layer because of its noisiness, there is no reason to pay a premium for it when there is much cheaper, quality stuff out there.

31-Jul-17
I got a puffy vest at SAM's Club for $20 or less. Very light, comfy and warm, it even came in camo.

31-Jul-17
I have worn my Kuiu puffy as an insulation layer a couple of times. Noise was never even considered when I did it either.

• Sitka Gear