archer2339 27-Jul-17
archer2339 27-Jul-17
Bill Obeid 27-Jul-17
MK111 27-Jul-17
BigOk 27-Jul-17
wilbur 27-Jul-17
Bowman 27-Jul-17
27-Jul-17
I have a busy work schedule and I do not have access to any equipment to make a food plot. I've made food plots in the past. I have 3 acres of fields that I would like to plant an acre. I did a soil test and I need lime and fertilizer. What's you thoughts and opinions? What do you think it'll cost?

27-Jul-17
My thoughts...three acres????

Take the money and book a hunt somewhere. Dude, my back yard is three acres. You are not going to create a deer haven.

27-Jul-17
On the one side is state game lands and on the other side is a land owner from NJ with 168 acres.

27-Jul-17
Mineral blocks or feeders may be easier and less time consuming. If legal in your state.

27-Jul-17
Any preferred mineral blocks or feeders?

27-Jul-17
1). Find a fall planting that will tolerate a lower ph.....cause it's too late this year for your planting to benefit from a lime application. I'd lime anyway so you're ahead of the game next season.

2) find someone to plant your one acre for you. I'd suggest asking around either at the seed store or at the archery shop. Lots of like minded guys there.

3) probably need to spray this week. I wouldn't risk waiting. Tractor Supply has Gly....60$. Harbor Frieght has a 4 gallon backpack sprayer for 40$. Maybe a couple of dollars for some dye since you'll spray manually. You'll finish an acre in an hour or two . That'll give you 10 days to line up someone to till and plant. Good luck and happy hunting

27-Jul-17
thank you bill obeid

27-Jul-17
What should I plant to build up the soil?

27-Jul-17
What's your ph?

27-Jul-17
I took a 3 ac cattle pasture out of service and planted it to a food plot. I did turn it into a deer magnet. Never seen over 3 deer in a group on my small farm in 21 years. Now I've seen up to 16 deer feeding in the food plot. My idea is plant a good deer food plot and the deer will come to it. The does show up and the bucks come looking for the does.

27-Jul-17
I use mineral blocks from Atwoods. As for feeders, i have always built my own.

27-Jul-17
Get in touch with John O'Brion at Grandpa Rays he is a sponsor here. He will give you some good information to get started.

You're going to need to get the ground rototilled or disced. Try to find someone in the area with a tractor and some attachments.

27-Jul-17
Lime recommended by Bill is 100% correct. You said that you made plots previously. This is a pretty simple recommendation.

Winter rye 100#'s per acre (Not ryegrass seed) Red Clover 6#'s per acre and White clover at 3#'s per acre for diversity

Weeds will be dying, but you should scuff up the dirt for better seed to soil contact. Broadcast the rye grain first, then smooth if you can. Then broadcast the clovers and smooth again. A couple weeks after germination, you could broadcast some more rye into the field as it will stay green later (it is younger) than the first seeding. All should green up in the spring. Rye has a great root system for organic matter and clovers fixated nitrogen.

After the threat of frost is gone next year, 50# buckwheat per acre. Grows fast, prevents weeds, good soil builder and is killed easily if the deer don't obliterate it, by mowing or dragging. Then you can get ready for next fall. Good luck.

• Sitka Gear