BigOk 28-Jul-17
Will 28-Jul-17
Brotsky 28-Jul-17
Burt 28-Jul-17
Ace 28-Jul-17
Knight Archer 29-Jul-17
ahunter55 29-Jul-17
27-Jul-17
While at my parents recently, my 3 year old nephew found my Dad's old grunt call and blows it. My 9 year old daughter quickly takes it and says "Let show you how to do that" . She then proceeds to give a lesson in calling deer. I could only shake my head and smile.

27-Jul-17
My wife particularly enjoys when our three kids bounce around the house with elk and deer calls. She claims that some big jerk encourages them and instigates things.

27-Jul-17
My wife hid my bugle for a month after I taught me then 5 year old how to use it :)

27-Jul-17
Wait until they get ahold of a bottle of deer urin. The x was not happy about that.

27-Jul-17
We dragged ourselves back to parked truck by headlamp at 12:30am with full packs after hiking all day and our 12-year old daughter successfully bagging a Barbary sheep. She says to me "You know, I've I've only stayed up past midnight one time in my life that WASN'T related to hunting!" (she's been up past midnight packing out meat with me on several occasions)

27-Jul-17
While at my parents recently, my 3 year old nephew found my Dad's old grunt call and blows it. My 9 year old daughter quickly takes it and says "Let show you how to do that" . She then proceeds to give a lesson in calling deer. I could only shake my head and smile.

27-Jul-17
My wife was not happy the day my daughter walked across the freshly mop kitchen floor after tagging along on a hunt, to tell her mom that if you step in manure the deer can't smell you.

27-Jul-17
You never specified whether you were happy about that, Pat!

My son shot a rabbit with a kids bow when he was little. He thought he was a heap big hunter until he actually hit one. With tears in his eyes, he brought it to me, still alive, and wanted me to "fix" it. I explained things to him and we killed and skinned it, then fixed it for supper. That helped a little bit, but he's still a little squeamish about killing certain animals, even in his thirties. He's is a lot more tender hearted than I am.

28-Jul-17
Many years ago, we had a rabbit problem. Couldn't keep the landscaping alive. My son took it upon himself to help. This is early August in Northern IL and hot. He was successful one day to the tune of 5 bunnies. Not being sure what to do with them, he threw them in the back of my truck. Telling me about them slipped his mind. Fastforward 48 hours later, I go out to get in the truck to go to work and am hit with the stench. There are most undeniably different degrees of dead. Who knew rabbits could take on the liquid form.

James

28-Jul-17
Jerrod was probably three when he went to his pal, Zack's, house and they popped in Bambi. During one scene Jerrod turned to Zach and said, "If this was real, Friend Owl would be eating Thumper about now." Zach's mom, ultra-ultra-liberal from Mass screamed, "That's horrible." Zach's dad, normal person from the Ozarks said, "That's right, he would be eating Thumper about now."

28-Jul-17
My 4 year old at the zoo loudly announcing "Daddy killed on of those!!" at the warthog and kudu exhibits! I'm so proud of that little girl :)

28-Jul-17
My wife was mortified. . . between my little girl announcing that daddy killed one of those, to me telling my daughter at the elephant and lion exhibits. . . "They look DELICIOUS!"

28-Jul-17
When my oldest was about 3 she asked if the chicken thawing in the sink was a kitty cat. She loves kitty cats, so when she thought we were going to eat a kitty cat, and was okay with it, I realized she was definitely headed in the right direction.

Now, I load all 3 of them up and put the .22 to work shooting gophers. They get a real kick out of seeing the internal workings of a gopher. Sometimes I think maybe they're a little too desensitized! One thing's for sure, they won't mind field dressing and processing deer and elk when they're old enough.

28-Jul-17
Ha ha all these above kids are growing up well! It's the other ones I am worried about. My neighbours kids also always want to see in my garage to see if there are deer hanging there. They don't understand these things can only happen in the fall.

28-Jul-17
My ex neighbor's kids freaked out when i caped out a buck and walked out of the garage carrying head and cape. Poor kids don't know what they are missing out on.

28-Jul-17
My kids play with turkey wing and tail feathers all the time. They want to bring shed antlers to show and tell in school... And, my daughter (6) will see a picture of a deer/turkey and after saying how cool it is, she will look at me and say: "Daddy, bet you would like to shoot that one huh?" Sounds tame, unless you are at a dinner party with the neighbors - none of whom hunt :) he he he!

28-Jul-17
Man, I could fill a thread up with these stories! How many of you guys have animal coloring books at home that could double as lessons in shot placement? Ha!

28-Jul-17
Been 10 years ago now... Took kids to a company cookout at brownstone home in a very hip neighborhood in Chicago. My lovely young daughter went out back to see the hog roast on the smoker. The host was worried she might be upset went to talk with her. He made a point to find me shortly thereafter. Apparently my little girl wanted to know where he caught his pig. When he told her he bought it from the store she stated he must not be a good hunter. Thankfully we are all good company. Became the joke of the party and office for a long time afterwards.

28-Jul-17
I'm at the pediatrician with one of my sons when he was about 7. She is asking him questions and gets to the one about guns. "Are there guns around?" He stops, looks at me, not sure what to say then She looks up at me, I was about to say something like, 'nunya", when he asks her "Do you mean is he carrying one right now?" ... she moved on to the next question.

29-Jul-17
Many memories on this one. When my daughter was really young, she was watching the 'Elk Fever' video and practiced bugles with her swimming snorkel. She asked, "How's that sound Daddy?" Great Sweetie. Now, the first thing my grandkids want to do is touch the mounts when they arrive at the house.

29-Jul-17

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
I started taking my son bowhunting when he was about 3. He would sleep while I hunted till dark. I had a nice 8 walk up the ridge through some pines & I nudged him & gave him the finger over the lips "quite" sign. The buck stopped at 20 yds between 2 Christmas tree like pines & about a 6" opening to his chest. I made a perfect shot into the right pine. Later, I was digging out my BH & he says Dad, how can anyone miss a big deer that close.. Another time, same type deal, he's sleeping & & we hear thunder in the distance. He says Dad, storm coming, we better go. I said we have plenty of time (less than an hour to quitting time/dark). Well, "I" waited to long & we are getting drenched, So dark & lighting blinds you when it flashes. He is so little my camo jacket he has on drags the ground (he is 5 now). It's a good hard 30 min walk to the truck thru timber. He's so little he can barley get over the logs. Anyway, we get to the truck & I had dry clothes for him & dry him & dress him. I have him for the weekend(now divorced). When I take him home, his mom says how was the hunting. Mom, all excited he say's we were in a storm & it was like being in VIETNAM.. I'm a vet of that era.. He is now 43 a pretty successful bowhunter himself.

• Sitka Gear