Hunting5555 31-Jul-17
Barty1970 01-Aug-17
SoDakSooner 01-Aug-17
HDE 01-Aug-17
Sidekick 01-Aug-17
muzzy 02-Aug-17
live2hunt88 03-Aug-17
28-Jul-17
I just purchased a Hoyt Nitrum Turbo and got am looking for some sights for the bow.

I really don't need a 5 pin sight as I don't see myself needing/wanting to shoot past 50 yards.

Thought about trying a single pin sight I just hate the thought of having to move a pin in the deer stand. If I have deer under me and a buck at 40 I feel the movement would spook the deer under me and blow my hunt.

I can't seem to find a good 4 pin sight anywhere either.

With that said would a 3 pin sight suffice? I could sight in for 30, 40, 50 and am a hair low at 30? I hate the thought of having to "guess" for a 20 yard shot but I don't feel there would be much difference from 20-30 maybe an inch or two??

I'm not sure what speed I'm shooting out of my setup 28.5" draw, 68lbs, Black Eagle Rampage arrows.

Thanks for the advice!

28-Jul-17
IDK the weight of your arrows but my guess would be somewhere in the 270's for speed. Id buy a nice 5 pin and remove a pin if you only want 4. Ive bought a few MBG sights in 4 pin, though they were sliders im sure you could get a fixed with 4 pins.

28-Jul-17
Your bow is fast enough to use a sight with 2 pins - G5 Optix XR2 Sight by G5 for example. One pin is fixed, usually set to 25 yards to cover anything between 5 to 35 yards with a 2 inch low/high gap at extremes. The second pin is movable and it will cover anything from 40 to 70 yards. You have the best of both worlds.

P.S. Should you have any issues with floating ping moving at every shot and the pins not being in the same plane please see on YouTube videos on how to fix these issues. After applying the solution for each problem you will have a solid sight. My G5 did not have alignment issues but I had to fix the floating pin free movement which was really simple.

28-Jul-17
I'll second the G5 sights. I have the one with 3 fixed pins and the 4th is adjustable. For what they are they are probably the lightest sights available, they're made of magnesium.

I like sixLomaz suggestion, for years I hunted wt with one fixed pin at 25yds and had zero issues.

28-Jul-17
I had multi pin sights for yrs...... tried a HHA single pin .029 green a couple yrs ago and never looked back.... Ain't got to ever say " OMG I used the wrong Pin " again ... Good Luck..

28-Jul-17
The XR2 is a great concept but a lot is left to be desired with that sight. Unless it has undergone changes since I had one it was the worst sight I have ever owned. The two pins were not on the same plane, you could not print sight tapes for it at the time and the floater did just that....it floated with every shot and wouldn't hold the previous setting after a shot. The fibers were dull too. To me the quality of G5 sights compared to Spott Hogg, MBG, CBE or Axcel is like comparing a Jansport to a Kifaru.

28-Jul-17
Call Montanas blackgold and they will make you a 4 pin, problem solved

28-Jul-17
I tried a single pin sight for a couple years and decided it wasn't for me. When you combine a short DL with a relatively heavy arrow, I didn't care for the limitations.

I went with a Black Gold Ascent 3-pin slider and couldn't be happier. I don't have to move a thing 45yds and under, but I can practice out to 100yds if I so choose.

28-Jul-17
I'd get the 5 pin anyways. You don't have to shoot past 50 yards, but you can certainly practice out to 60. I don't think 5 would be much more confusing for you than 4.

28-Jul-17
A 3 pin slider is your huckleberry.

28-Jul-17
I really have become fond of my Tommy Hogg with double pin scope. I don't notice the extra fiber unless I know I need it. I set it at 30 yards for elk and can cover out to 50 with my 2 fibers. For deer I set it to 25. I used it last year and shot 3 deer and never touched my sight. The farthest shot was about 15 yards.

28-Jul-17
I'll never go back to multi pin. Set at 25 yards I can shoot from 0-30 and aim at the same spot on an elk. 2" high at 20 and 4" low at 30. At 35 I drop 7 inches, so aim at middle of elk and I'm good. At 40 yards top of the back drops it in perfect. So I am good from 0-40 without moving.

28-Jul-17
3 pin set up, hold dead on at 20, hold dead on at 30, hold dead on at 40. Anything further than that and I dial it up and hold dead on. :) Everybody has their preference, I know I'm a dumb arse who doesn't need any more things to remember at the time of the shot.

28-Jul-17
Tommy Hogg, three pin slider. Best sight I've ever owned. From treestand to mountain top, it's all covered.

28-Jul-17
I'm really like the looks and idea behind the the spott hogg fast eddie double pin anyone have any feed back on this?

I've always shot fixed sights so slider just has me a little skeptical.

If I go fixed in leaning towards a 3 or 5 pin IQ. I shoot 3D through the summer with some buddies having the 60 could come in handy for that.

28-Jul-17
I shot the double pin fast eddie for all last year before they updated it this year with a double pointer on the sight tape so now you have two pins with and with their own yardage and don't have to move your pins as often. It's a well built sight mine is currently at spot hogg getting the double pin upgrade. I picked up the three pin model and am honestly torn between which one I want to use. I don't think you will go wrong with either.

28-Jul-17
I like my single pin slider. MBG Ascent Verdict. I've shot single fixed pin for close to 30 years now. I just don't get why everyone thinks you have to adjust your sight at every distance? The idea behind it is to set it at a predetermined distance and don't move it until you shoot well beyond that distance. Just learn how your setup works at those yardages below your set distance.

I think the best thing for you since you are a little skeptical of a single pin slider is to go with a MBG or Spott Hogg 3 pin slider. Best of both worlds for you. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

28-Jul-17
Brotsky you must have trained those animals well. What if they aren't exactly 20/30/40? I assume you have to remember to split pins. Then it's which pins do I split, split exactly? First elk I ever shot I was using a 5 pin spot Hogg. He was 17 years and I put ALL the pins on him and flock shot. Hit him high and never found him. Never again...

29-Jul-17
Live,

I shoot the Tommy with the double pin. I love it.

31-Jul-17
Get the extra pins and just move the ones you don't use all the way to the bottom. I've got a 7 pin Axcel and I have 2 pins resting at the bottom of the ring. They don't get in the way and I don't notice them when I'm shooting. I just figured that way I have them if I ever want them. Just an idea.......

01-Aug-17
Tommy Hogg...hmm...'interestink; varry interestink'

I shoot using a five pin Hogg-It set from 20 to 60 yards...but was giving thought to four pins plus a slider for 60+ yards...

01-Aug-17
Just like hunting 5555, just leave the extra pin at the bottom of the housing. I have the 7 pin Axcell and I do have mine set though. 70 and 78 yards. The 78 yard pin is maxed out. It is fun to practice longer distances so leave it for fun too.

01-Aug-17
Gap isn't as much of an adjustment with three pins as opposed to one. If you shoot all the time from 15 to 60 while zeroed at 30 without adjusting (at 50+), then a single pin slider is a waste of money.

With a single pin you may not have to say "dang, used the wrong pin", but you may be saying "dang, didn't aim high (or low) enough".

Each to their own though.

01-Aug-17
I have a 4 pin Trophy Ridge sight & only use 3 of 'em set at 20, 30, & 40 yds. Not too many long shots to take from a tree in WI.

02-Aug-17

Obsessed outdoorsman's Link
I am a single pin vertical sight guy hands down. However, if you are looking for a great 3 pin sight, I would recommend the IQ Hunter 3 pin sight. It is lightweight, compact, tool free and provides fast/easy adjustments. A very solid built sight that I think would be just what the doctor ordered for you.

02-Aug-17
Uscdryder, sounds like you do a lot of guessing with your setup. Guessing 2 inches, 4 inches, 7 inches then at 40 yards you put the pin on its back and it drops in perfect. As far as putting all 5 pins on the elk and flock shot him it just sounds like you choked and forgot everything you practiced for while you were target shooting and getting ready for your hunt. It's not too hard to put the top pin on him seeing as how it was less than 20 yards away. Yup, blame the equipment and not yourself. To say to Brotsky he must have had the animals trained is out of line, then say split pins, which pins? Lots of good hunters and fine archers don't use one pin, some like them, some don't. I prefer 3 pins and haven't had a problem splitting pins when it's needed, but then again I practice a lot and don't use the wrong pin in pressure situations.

03-Aug-17
Don't mean to steal the thread but I went with the Spott Hogg Fast Eddie single pin. When calibrating out to 60 what would be a good grouping to assume which sticker to choose? Right now im having pretty consistent 4-5" groups at 60. Is that decent do they need to be closer ??

• Sitka Gear