longbeard 02-Aug-17
ohiohunter 02-Aug-17
Bowriter 02-Aug-17
ohiohunter 02-Aug-17
Pigsticker 02-Aug-17
Amoebus 03-Aug-17
Bowriter 03-Aug-17
30-Jul-17
If I live to Sept. 23, I will start my 63rd season of deer hunting. Most of that hunting was done with archery equip. I have 19-animals that meet or exceed P&Y minimums. For over 30-years, I have studied whitetail deer. One year, I joined two, state biologists in counting deer at night during various moon stages and weather conditions. Those are my bona fides. Over 30-years ago, I wrote an article on the impact or lack thereof, certain moon phases have on deer movement. And every year, some new, earth shattering, magical device comes along to help you use the moon to kill trophy deer.

Let me clearly state what I 100% believe to be true: The following is backed up by scientific data. (1) The moon has about .001% impact on the start of or movement during the rut. The moonlight does not impact photoperiodism in any measurable amount. (2) Deer do not move or feed more on moonlit nights. There is no data to suggest or prove they do. Using daylight sightings or lack thereof, is faulty logic. (3) The moon does affect all living organisms, including humans. However, the impact of that affect varies from greatly to minimal. In deer, it is minimal and of little or no importance to the hunter.

What you SEE, in terms of deer movement is most greatly impacted by two major influences: (1) The weather or more specifically, temperature, wind and precipitation. Also a factor is sunlight, to some degree. (2)- Food sources and availability.

The rut-the actual breeding of does-is within a week of when it was 100-200-500 years ago. What you see in daylight hunting may vary greatly. WHAT YOU SEE, not what is happening. The does, based on scientific, factual fetus studies, are getting bred at approximately the same time every year, REGARDLESS of moon stage. (3) To a small extent, this has some impact-if you see the moon during daylight hours, known as the "Children's Moon,", you MIGHT see slight increase in deer movement.

If you want to know when the chase phase of the rut is in your area, call your local biologist and ask him when the rut peaked last year. Then, just count back about a week to 10-days.

Yes...it is that simple. Does that mean you are going to see great chasing with bucks moving everywhere? Heck, no. But it is happening, just as it has for way longer than we have been studying deer. It just may be all at night or for very short, intense periods when the weather is conducive.

Unless a hunter, a biologist, a student of deer or whatever, has been studying deer as much at night as they have in daylight, they have only 50% of the information they need to form a hypothesis. Until you have access to thousands of dollars in night vision and other such devices and can legally count or monitor deer movement at night, 12-months out of the year, it is just guesswork.

I offer this information absolutely free. What you will see in your quest to hunt a trophy buck during the rut, will absolutely be governed by these factors. Weather is most important. You want cold weather. The ideal day, is a day with below normal temperatures, a clear sky, hard frost or freeze, and mild wind from the west or northwest. Next, a scattered food source, causing all deer to travel to feed and last is a reasonable doe population with a reasonable number of mature does. Midday hunting is almost mandatory when it is cold, less so when warm. Know, when your rut first stage peaked, count back 10-days, pick the right weather forecast, hunt all day from different stands and save your money when considering buying a some sort of moon chart. Hunters who swear by the moon phase thing should consider this. If that is when they killed the majority of their big deer, is that also when they hunted the most and the hardest? If I only fished on Tuesday nights, could I not say my best fishing has been on Tuesday nights? When interviewing hunters who have killed multiple trophy bucks, that is exactly what I found to be true. The moon had not one thing to do with it. (I am sure that will spawn many comments in opposition.)

Now. Got that off my chest. With a full moon coming up, I have to plan a night fishing trip. The moon does impact fishing...a lot! One last thought. IF the moon has anything to do with the start of the rut, why do deer as close together as one county away, have a peak rut as much as a month apart? Do they not have the same moon?

30-Jul-17
I believe you to be 100% right John. What we actually SEE happening when we hunt is a microcosm of what is actually happening simply because we can't be behind every bush. The reverse is what most of us want anyway, that is, the woods all to ourselves. If I'm sitting somewhere and can see 100 yd. in all directions, whose to say what's going on 200 yd. away ? The only thing I've noticed with some regularity is that on a full moon deer tend to move a little more in the middle of the day IMO.

30-Jul-17
I do think a bright full moon does indeed increase activity at night. When they run ragged at night, they tend to law low for a few more daylight hours. But also agree weather has a bigger impact on daylight movement and that the rut is never early or late. But locally, a doe occassionally cycles early, even a month ahead of median is possible, and those early does can absolutely gather all the bucks in a huge area into a frenzy.

30-Jul-17
+1 elk yinzer

30-Jul-17

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Whenever the temp is colder than it's supposed to be (no matter what time of year) it's a good time to hunt. Also right before or after rain or snow.

Additionally, the moon does have some implications to deer movement (I'm not talking about the rut). You can google this deer/moon movement study if interested. They radio collared 38 bucks and tracked whether they were moving or stationary every half hour, every day, for 18 months. Very interesting.

30-Jul-17
Thanks for the info. I read an article about tracking deer with gps collars that confirms deer move the same and the moon does not effect them. My observation is that I see a huge increase of deer activity at night during a full moon on the trail camera, and less activity during the day. I have also seen the largest bucks ever, about 5 o'clock in the afternoon in October during a huge blood moon. Both of these moon observations on the same 80 acre farm in Michigan. What is happening on the adjoining 80 acres, I don't know. What does this mean? Nothing. The only thing I have learned is deer do not do what they are suppose to do. I hunt as much as I can, I am a meat hunter first, but of course I will kill a huge buck if the opportunity comes.

30-Jul-17
#1- Yinzer-you are dead on when it comes to elk. Not so much when you are talking whitetail deer/ #2- Charlie- I believe your data 100%. I fully agree. As I said, no significant impact. Increase from .384 to .564??? On that small sampling. As I said, the weather, especially the temperature is the major contributor. However, let me state publicly, Auburn is on the cutting edge of whitetail deer study. We have worked very closely with them for nearly 25-years. There are a couple docs there, that really know their stuff. Some of their food plot material is outstanding.

30-Jul-17
Let me just kinda touch on the problem(s) with using collared animals for tests. To start with, you are using either an individual animal or a relatively small group. What is wrong with this? How many times have you driven down a road and seen, on one side, a herd of cattle grazing, all up and eating. Directly across the road, a herd of equal size is all laying down. Which herd is the moon impacting?

Notice, I often use the word "impact" instead of "affect". The moon, "affects" all animals. "Impact", is a different story. Also note, all of this is in the context of hunting, not a master's thesis.

30-Jul-17
Don't know much about whitetails, but it I'm convinced that mule and blacktail deer / elk behave differently with a change in moon phase. But of course I have only been hunting for 60 years or so. My opinion, don't want to argue about it. Then of course, we have the effect of magnetic flux while fishing under high voltage power lines.

30-Jul-17
I agree John. I'd only add that in a state like Illinois the progress of the corn harvest is also a BIG factor. The more corn that's out the more deer you'll see.

30-Jul-17
100% agree with Charlie as the moon does have an effect on movement. Does it effect the timing of the rut? No not at all. I do believe the position of the moon has an effect on deer movement and there have been many studies that prove this. Shawn

30-Jul-17
2017 will be my 41st archery season, so I know a bit about deer from field expereince as well as from being a biology teacher and reading on the topic for most of my life. From observations over the past 20 years (since the moon phase became a serious topic of interest), I concur with Charlie and Scooby-doo that position of the moon overhead and underfoot (as cited in Charlie's post) most certainly does have an effect on daily whitetail FEEDING PATTERNS. While some attribute the shifting feeding times to the amount of available light, deer are crespusular by nature, yet could feed in full daylight every day if so desired. So then why do they feed primarily at midday and midnight during certain moon phases and at sunset and sunrise at other phases? Do those days just "happen" to be right for the temperature or barometric pressure, like the rather weak 'fishing on Tuesday analogy'? Or is there a bigger picture that happens on a rotating monthly schedule that is influenced by the moon?

However those who tie moon phase into rut predictions tend to ignore the profound effects of photoperiodism and weather, as they have a much more significant effect on cervid behaviors during that brief time. During the rut, hormones that are switched on by shortening daylight are controlling daily deer actions and supersede feeding urges....especially in bucks. That is why a typical buck tends to loose a significant amount of body weight from covering large chunks of ground and chasing does.

I agree with Sloan's "perfect rut hunting day" scenario, as the heavy winter coat of a chasing buck is much more suited for a frosty morning below average temps. The rut still takes place during a warm snap, but typically during the night when the temps are the lowest of the 24 hour cycle.

30-Jul-17
Let's say moon does effect movement.

Full moon equals less travel so a great day for stalking.

No moon equals more travel so a great day to ambush.

My scientific research has shown that every phase of the moon is a great day to hunt.

30-Jul-17
I am a moo or and believe it does help in determining movement.

30-Jul-17
Well, opinions are like noses, everybody has one and about half the time they are full of hot air.

I've read so many articles on this that my head swims every time I see a new one. I can't predict the weather when I book a hunt months in advance. But I can predict the moon phase, and I prefer to hunt during the dark of the moon. I've had times when I've shown up 2 weeks after the dark and in a field that use to hold bou coup deer, there are none. Now many things can effect that, but I'll hold to my theories that it is better for me to hunt during the dark phase of the moon.

Enjoy your hunt.

TMBB

30-Jul-17
Agree with the new moon but I love to see that moon hanging high in the sky at prime times.

30-Jul-17
Moon smoon. If it does have any measurable impact it's way down on the list in terms of usefulness. What I mean by that is that it doesn't supersede anything else. More impact that weather? Nope. Time of the year? Nope. Time of day? No way do I give up the crepuscular advantage to hunt just mid day. Ok does it Supersede food sources? No way..: In short none of the effects of phase or position could possibly make you supersede decisions based on the other proven variables like weather, phase of the rut, food sources or a whitetails crepuscular Nature. The moon is a waste of time

30-Jul-17
OP, I'm calling bs.

30-Jul-17
I've never really paid much attention to it...one less thing to worry about. :)

30-Jul-17
40 plus years of hunting whitetails and when the moon is directly over head or under foot there is an increase in deer movement at mid day. No books or studies needed to prove this, it is a fact from my years of hunting them and keeping detailed notes for a lot of those years. Shawn

30-Jul-17
For whitetail, I believe more in moon position than moon phase. I think barometric pressure and temperature have great effects on deer movement.

For largemouth bass, I believe the same as whitetail. Barometric pressure and approaching storms are paramount on triggering feeding activities. For years, I have observed whether the cows are feeding or laying down with no conclusive verdict.

From an astrological standpoint -I have had my best days bass fishing the on days when symbols were Pisces and Aires. The worst fishing day symbol was Tauras. Hard to get a bass to bite on this sign. (I'm sure this comment will stir conversation).

Hunting pigs- I have found better hunting days on the dark of the moon.

Plains Game Africa- I will only hunt the 5 days prior-5 days post dark of the moon.

30-Jul-17
I think I'll just hunt every chance I get.

30-Jul-17
Yup. You got it.

My best friend/hunting buddy's strategy for deer hunting is to be in the woods for as long as you can whenever you can because..........

"They are, where they're at, when they're there."

30-Jul-17
They bed early and get up early good mid day. Like you after a good drunk.

30-Jul-17
They bed early and get up early good mid day. Like you after a good drunk.

30-Jul-17
But back up to what Elk Yinzer stated about a die coming in early.

I never would have believed it until I witnessed it last year.

Kinda leaves you scratching your head when this happened way ahead of peak rut, but then again, anytime hunting is a great time.

Right around the corner fellas.

31-Jul-17
Trial153 pretty well summed it up. Again, affect vs impact. And don't compare elk, caribou, mule deer or African plains game any more than you would goats or hummingbirds.

31-Jul-17
John,

I think it is interesting to compare the various animals and fish to see the influence or lack there of of the moon (position and phase).

This is a very interesting and informative thread. Good country songs always have "mama", "prison" and "a pickup truck" in the lyrics. Somewhere in this thread "a Rage BH" has to be mentioned for it to be valid.

31-Jul-17
I think instead of denying the moon's position effect on movement you should embrace it for what is or is not and be in the best position to take advantage of the situation. When the moon position aligns with either weather and prime time of the day you have potential for tremendous movement and yes I have been hunting for 51 years and spent more than a little time observing animals during that time. I am damn sure going to be hunting during periods when the moon is hanging overhead.

31-Jul-17
Years ago I read dads old sports afield magazine that said rut was two week after October's new moon.usually hits Novembers moon phases and have seen bucks rutting travels then anytime of day.

31-Jul-17
full moon makes it easier to shoot them at night though ... :o

01-Aug-17
Greg, you are so right. LMAO

02-Aug-17
If your not paying attention to daily moon position then you are a fool. I get it, go hunt every chance you can, especially if you are short on time afield. But, if you can go whenever you want, by all means watch weather fronts and the daily moon position. They are something to kill by!

02-Aug-17
It certainly carries value, but I think its value is higher in rural areas. A lot of my deer hunting was in urban areas where there are far more factors to consider relative to deer movement. You never know when some kids, domestic animals, landscaper, atv's etc... will kick some deer up or interrupt a buck's nap causing him to slip away from the disturbance.

02-Aug-17
Can't resist-Pigsticker, where I live, the moon is always overhead. Never seen it anywhere else. Couldn't resist. :)

02-Aug-17
but it is not always legal to hunt when the moon is over head... ah ha

02-Aug-17
Bowwriter where is the moon when it is underfoot?

03-Aug-17
"If your not paying attention to daily moon position then you are a fool."

It should be easy for someone with the raw data to look at the B&C/P&Y bucks killed and equate that to moon phases. If there is any factor, it should appear rather glaringly.

03-Aug-17
Pigsticker -the moon, of course, is overhead. Ask any person of Chinese origin. The moon goes nowhere. It is our minds and imagination that travels to distant parts of the galaxy. How could a huge ball of green cheese be anywhere but overhead? If it got underfoot, the rats would eat it. Simple logic explains all. have a great lunar nocturnalization.

• Sitka Gear