t-roy 30-Jul-17
drycreek 30-Jul-17
t-roy 30-Jul-17
BullBuster 31-Jul-17
Rob in VT 31-Jul-17
elkstabber 31-Jul-17
EmbryOklahoma 31-Jul-17
30-Jul-17
Are there any other states out there that do not have an archery season during the rut forcing you to hunt during the firearms seasons if you want to hunt the rut. Here in Wyoming our archery seasons normally run during September so if you want to hunt the rut you will compete with the rifle hunters. This is the time I love to hunt them and have learned how to cope with it. I do not ever use the option of killing my deer with a gun as sometimes it works in my favor getting permission to hunt because I am using archery equipment.

30-Jul-17
That's the best thing I can say about Iowa's seasons. The gun season doesn't open till the first weekend in December (excluding the early muzzle loader season which is in mid October and relatively few guys hunt it). Archery hunters get exclusive rights to the rut. That, plus the limited number of nonresident tags issued each year is why we have the quality deer that we do IMO.

30-Jul-17
I agree t-roy, but don't discount the good, rich dirt under your feet and the crops. That has a big influence on the size of the headgear IMO, and the northern deer naturally have larger bodies. All that said, the bucks have to survive several seasons to get into the "trophy" class, so lack of gun pressure is certain to have an influence also.

30-Jul-17
Very true, Don.

31-Jul-17
In north Idaho, for the most part the entire month of November is the "general season" for any weapon. I won't hunt on Public ground during that time of the year. But if i do venture out i wear a ton of bright orange.

31-Jul-17
In Vermont there is no open deer season during the first 10 days of November. Crazy!

31-Jul-17
Virginia has archery in October, blackpowder during the first two weeks of November, and then general firearms from mid November until early January. This is for most of the state, not true everywhere. But to answer your question: most southern states have seasons similar to this. To hunt during the rut you will compete with hunters using more modern weapons. It is your choice to bowhunt during those seasons. Of course this is easier to do this on private property than on public.

31-Jul-17
In Oklahoma, the archery season runs concurrent with the gun seasons. Archery is Oct. 1-Jan. 15... Muzzleloader, is late October (9 days). Gun season always starts the Saturday prior to Thanksgiving and runs 16 days, within the rut.

My only hopes is Oklahoma will go to a one buck state at some point. Maybe move the gun season back a week, but that's likely never to happen. Wishful thinking on my part. Just grateful to have the opportunity to bow hunt for 3 1/2 months.

• Sitka Gear