hillbender 01-Aug-17
wyobullshooter 01-Aug-17
Deertick 01-Aug-17
wyobullshooter 01-Aug-17
cnelk 02-Aug-17
31-Jul-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Went scouting for elk in Wyoming over the weekend with Deertick.

It was a chore just getting to the areas.

We cut our way out last year and had to cut our way in

The deadfall is a PITA

31-Jul-17
Some we just went around

31-Jul-17
Hard work but a great adventure!

31-Jul-17
Aggravating but watch what the elk and mile deer numbers do the next decade.

Personally, I'd had Nick out there doing the cutting. ??

31-Jul-17
Ha ha reminds me of moose hunting years ago. We would canoe down a remote river and every 20 yards there was a tree across the river. Firs time we went no chain saw and lots of out of canoe then back in canoe go 20 yards repeat. Next year we had 2 chains saws as we both brought one.lol

31-Jul-17
This is a place where we really have to think about hunting efficiently -- "Hunt smart, not hard". You don't just pick a spot and start wandering in this stuff. Sure, there's elk here (that's why we want to hunt it) ... but there's a lot of similar country without elk. This isn't a spot to go "blind", with the idea of "covering lots of ground". Efficiency is going to the our friend here -- we're going to have to use our brains more than our legs, because legs -- anyone's legs -- are going to wear out in this stuff by just "covering ground".

31-Jul-17
Doesn't all that work tend to invite other hunters into your Spot?

31-Jul-17
Elk hunting is not unlike many other areas of life, some just don't like to do much work. Even with a little atv access, just hunting the deadfall keeps many out.

Probably even by today there are more trees down.

And from what we saw, there is even better elk areas further with no road access, even horse access would not be advised.

Sometimes you just gotta let some things go and do what Deertick said 'hunt smarter not harder'.

31-Jul-17
I just got back from a scouting trip in South WY and there was so much deadfall that there is no way I would try to cut my way in. Too much work for my lazy Hillbilly ways. I am hoping folks will leave some of the roads closed so I can take advantage and two leg it in to elk that may now be closer the road.

31-Jul-17
Have these areas you're scouting always had a lot of downed timber, or is it due to more recently beetle killed trees? Hope your hard work pays off for you guys!

31-Jul-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
This is all beetle kill.

A little backstory.

We call this area ODH [One Day Hunt]. For the past 2 years, Deertick has hunted this spot... TWICE and shot a bull each time on the first day out.

Both hose hunts were rifle season so we decided to scout it for archery. The blowdown will definitely be more challenging for archery gear, as our priority tactic will be to bring the elk to us/locate bugle since we cant move fast or quietly in the blowdown.

As of this weekend, we know we cant hunt more than 1/2 mile from some form of trail.

01-Aug-17

hillbender's embedded Photo
I saw incredible amount of elk use on the trails, they looked to be using them to navigate the thick stuff. I plan on hunting the trails and because I am old and lazy I am hoping the only trails I will be cutting out for my atv willl be to get one out.

01-Aug-17

I saw incredible amount of elk use on the trails, they looked to be using them to navigate the thick stuff. I plan on hunting the trails and because I am old and lazy I am hoping the only trails I will be cutting out for my atv willl be to get one out.

01-Aug-17
"Have these areas you're scouting always had a lot of downed timber, or is it due to more recently beetle killed trees?"

t-roy, I've been bowhunting the same mountain range as cnelk and deertick are scouting for 30+ yrs. Every forest has downfall, but unless you see it first hand, you can't believe how bad its gotten in the last 3-4 yrs. As I've said many times, it's like watching a dear old friend die a slow, lingering death.

Not too many years ago, you could drive Wyo Highway 130 or 230 across the Snowies and it was a beautiful green vista. Then the beetles hit in force. Within a year, it became visual the toll they were taking. You could drive over the range and half the ridges were a deep rust color from the dead needles. A couple years later, it didn't look so bad, since the dead needles had fallen off the trees. Gray doesn't stand out as much against green as rust does. A year or so later, the trees started coming down...in droves.

I don't have photos like Brad does, but I'll give you a couple examples.

There's a forest service road that up till a few years ago, you could drive a pickup to where it ends. This road leads to the top of my favorite hunting area, although I park my 4 wheeler 1/2 mi from the top and walk in from there. For the past 3yrs, I've had to cut downed trees for 1/2 day just to get to where I park. On avg, I have to cut through newly downed tree(s) at least 5-6 mornings as I'm going in to hunt during the season. I'm going next week to do it again. Hard to tell what's fallen since last year, but I know it won't be fun. There's some rifle hunters that continue on from where I stop to clear the road, all the way to the end. Last year, they gave up. The top end is now impassable. I know it's only a matter of time till I can't keep up with all the downed timber. I just hope this isn't the year.

Even more telling is getting down to where I hang my treestand. I've been hanging my stand in the same tree for over 20 yrs now. Used to be, I just followed a series of game trails right down to where I hang my stand. No more. Now I have to cut my way down to the stand.

hillbender, I have to question your plan of following game trails. As with those leading down to my treestand, there are trails I've used for many years that are no longer negotiable. Granted, elk make adjustments, but those adjustment to their travels are occurring almost daily. If I'm in my truck, I don't go anywhere without my chainsaw. If I'm on my 4 wheeler, I don't go anywhere without my handsaw and axe. Anyone that does otherwise is certainly asking for trouble.

01-Aug-17
Wyo ... your comments really tell the story. What do you see as the key to hunting such areas?

01-Aug-17
John, honestly, I hunt the same areas the same as I always have with a couple exceptions. There are a few areas that I just wait a little longer before I get in too deep. Once it starts lightening up, I just pick my way through. Being a little later hasn't resulted in less elk. Secondly is an issue I plan on taking care of next week. My treestand has been so productive through the years because it sits 18yds from the convergence of 3 main game trails. The last couple years, I've had less elk come by my stand since the main trail that comes up from the creek has been choked off. Next week, there will no longer be such an issue. ;-)

Bottom line is, the elk are still there just being elk. They've adjusted, we just need to do the same.

02-Aug-17
bigdog21

yeah its my property, and your property and anyone else that pays for public land :)

• Sitka Gear