Pigsticker 23-Aug-17
Lark Bunting 08-Sep-17
PA BONES 08-Sep-17
01-Aug-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
If elk hunting is not challenging enough, when one picks up the bow, this surely adds another level of difficulty to the hunt. Eight years ago I won a Great Plains 55# recurve bow at the CBA jamboree and even back then I had as a goal to kill an elk with that bow. Since this time, I have killed a few turkeys and two whitetail deer with the stick but no elk and even though I have tried a few times, I seem to switch back to the compound bow when the season is nearing it's end so to up my odds of a kill.

So, this year is the challenge year, yep, the challenge to kill my next elk with the stick and maybe a larger challenge is just to leave the compound bow at home.

01-Aug-17
Go for it Paul... your not getting any younger :)

01-Aug-17
Good luck Paul! Win or lose I'm sure it will be an adventure worth remembering!

01-Aug-17
Good luck!!! I'm looking forward to an elk photo with that bow in it.

01-Aug-17
Elk and recurves were made for each other in thick cover.

01-Aug-17

So to add to my shooting consistency out to 30 yards, I have added a one pin sight to the 55# bow. I set the pin for 20 yards and if the elk is at 30 yards, I hold the 20 yard pin on its spine and its drops 17 inches into the kill area. In the past shooting instinctive , with the first arrow of the day and this was after practicing many days, that first arrow might be off target and hit the rump, the neck and I just did not feel comfortable shooting an elk. Yea, deer from a tree stand and turkeys from a blind at 10 yards, but elk, NOT.

01-Aug-17

not sure were the deer picture came from so here is my bow set up with the one pin sight.

01-Aug-17
Get em Paul! Will be great to see the Pic of you with your bull.

01-Aug-17

As GhostBird stated, "Paul you are not getting any younger, so go for it :)"

At 77 years, the CHALLENGE again takes on another level of excitement and apprehension. For the last two months my weekly workout consists of riding my mt bike, (on flat trails) for 20 miles every other day, and then on the odd days, hiking 3-4 miles with at 15# back pack. Chase the lab, loves these hikes

01-Aug-17
Well, now you are banned from the Leatherwall Paul! ;^) Good luck sir, and bring us back a story.

01-Aug-17

01-Aug-17
I've said it before, but thats one good looking Lab. A true Lab head, the way they are suppose to be.

01-Aug-17

my spike camp from two years ago, but less the compound bow this year
my spike camp from two years ago, but less the compound bow this year
Two years ago I hunted a limited draw unit and was successful, killing a cow elk with the compound bow. I will be returning to this same unit this season, with stick in hand. Next week I will hike up two miles and gain 1400 ft in elevation and set up my spike camp for the season and then a few days before the season, I will arrive back there ready for the hunt. I plan on staying up there for two weeks solo, if needed so I am taking enough food, supplies to last that long. And yes, lots of reading material to fill in the quite time of the day. There is a local packer within 5 miles that can pack down the bagged up elk meat for a reasonable fee.

01-Aug-17
Good luck Paul. I shoot a recurve, longbow and compound and have done the same as you when it comes to choosing to take the compound to the mountains due to increased range from 25 yards to 50 yards. I want to get a few elk under my belt before I seek a "bigger" challenge with trad gear for elk. I see enough Whitetails here in Missouri that it doesn't bother me when I have to pass on one at 40 yards because I've got my longbow in my hand. If that happened on my 10 day elk hunt, I'd be kicking myself.

--Mitch

01-Aug-17
Good luck on your challenge, Paul! I might just challenge myself this year and leave my compound at home. I've always wanted to kill a P&Y class buck with my curve. Only one way to do that!

01-Aug-17
Rick, the WT buck in the first picture was the very first PY deer I had killed and yes, with the stick. I left the compound bow at home.

01-Aug-17
Good luck!

01-Aug-17
Good luck! Can't wait for pictures!

01-Aug-17
Razonhead, I purchased the one pin sight from 3-Rivers Archery for $6. It can be taped on or attached with two screws. I elected to screw it on. (make sure you drill pilot holes for the screws so the facing material does not crack.) I did modify the pin by putting on a orange plastic dot that will show up under lower light conditions.

01-Aug-17
Way to go Paul! I'm pulling for you 100% - You can do it! (grin) I'm picking up the Longbow for the 1st time in 5-6 years so I'm taking the challenge too. Good Luck Sir!

ElkNut/Paul

01-Aug-17
Good Luck with the challenge.

01-Aug-17
Thanks all, more to come as the pre hunt comes together. Only 25 days to go. It is my biking day so I better be off. my best, Paul

01-Aug-17
I have no doubt you'll get it done. Then on to the next challenge!

Today's my "climb a mountain with a pack" day, so I have to go too. :)

01-Aug-17
Awesome Paul and I am sure you will get it done. Just think of it this way....you could really handicap yourself and use my elk experience too. :)

What is a reasonable fee for a packer in Colorado? I might be interested if I can't get otcwill for a 6 pack of beer.

01-Aug-17
Good luck Paul! I look forward to the story and a grip and grin pic!

01-Aug-17
Mark, the permitted packers I know typically charge 400-500, depending upon how far, how far they have to travel, how many horses are needed. But as busy as they are I don't trust them to be available.

I think Paul's "packer" is our friend who has mules and lives in the area.

01-Aug-17
For $500 I'll just hump it if am so lucky.

01-Aug-17
Good luck Paul. Love that you're chasing the passion and new challenges.

01-Aug-17
Good luck big man!

01-Aug-17
If anyone can do it, Paul can! Please keep posting. This thread already has me inspired!

01-Aug-17
Bowfreak, Two years ago the near by packer would bring down the bagged elk meat for $250. It might be $300 this year. The bags need to be near the trial and ready to go. He provides his wrangler, and two other horses. To do this my self, it would require four round trips.

01-Aug-17
That's a deal! I'd pay that in a heartbeat. The packers I know in NoCo charge $450-500. Same with the ones I've contacted in NW Wyo.

01-Aug-17
Does the sight not interfere with arrow flight? Looks awfully low. I guess you could lower your anchor point and raise the sight up. thoughts

01-Aug-17

01-Aug-17
Great quest! Good luck Paul. cant wait to read your results.

01-Aug-17
Good luck Paul. I predict a great story.

01-Aug-17
Farmer 33, "thoughts". Actually plenty of clearance so no need to change anchor point or to raise the sight up.. The pin is 1 7/8 inch above the arrow rest. Thanks for the question. Paul

01-Aug-17

The Magnus 125 g BH will be at the killing end
The Magnus 125 g BH will be at the killing end
and then add the white and yellow fletching and yellow cresting. Ready to go. Now to add some very RED to the arrow.
and then add the white and yellow fletching and yellow cresting. Ready to go. Now to add some very RED to the arrow.
My arrow shaft of choice is the Gold Tip Traditional 600. Cut to Length of 30.5. at 9.1 gpi. Total weight with a 125 g BH will be 510 grains. Just right for the Great Plains recurve at 55#.

01-Aug-17
I agree, great setup you've got there! I am surprised though you can shoot a 600 spine arrow? I would think 500 spine would be about right for bow poundage & arrow length!

ElkNut/Paul

01-Aug-17
Looking forward to this thread, Paul!

01-Aug-17
EXCELLENT choice in Broadhead!!!!

Best of luck!

01-Aug-17

01-Aug-17
Hey, Paul! Glad you are going to take up the challenge!

Your arrow and broadhead selection are good. That arrow weight is plenty out of your setup for elk. Have killed a pile of elk with lighter arrows than that off longbows, but prefer heavier given the choice. Your choice in broadheads is going to be a bit limiting for shot angle due to penetration, but it will work well on a broadside or slight quartering shot and will leave a good blood trail.

I really like 3-blade broadheads - Snuffers, VPA, Razor Caps, etc for elk. You will get better penetration with a 2-blade, but I would recommend going to a single bevel and a bit more weight (150 up to 250 grain) to allow for more effective penetration from more potential angles.

Sounds like your pin setup will help a lot, coming from shooting a compound for so long. You may want to try setting up a kisser button to ensure you are drawing consistently.

One of the extreme advantages I have seen from hunting with a traditional bow is being able, with practice, to shoot from a very low angle/profile. You may want to practice shooting from a sitting/kneeling position trying to get as low as possible to the ground. The pin won't work for that, but it can be a deal sealer if you have a bull come in hot to very close range - like 10 feet or less. Try practicing at 10 yards getting as low as possible to know what the shot feels like.

You will do just fine with the 'curve!

01-Aug-17
I'm not buying the "old guy" schtick. From the threads that I've seen, Paul can run circles around an awful lot of punks.

I hope you have a great season Paul. Best of luck to you. I'll be looking forward to the story of your hunt.

01-Aug-17
Paul- The Stick and String is the real deal in my opinion. I am a compound guy because I have too much to learn and already miss and wound enough as it is!! When I get a little more success under my belt, I hope to start down that path too. LEAVE that compound at home, give it all you got. Don't second guess it. Wether you kill one or not, it will be a great challenge and time in the woods which is what it's all about. Best of luck to you buddy, we're all pulling for ya.

01-Aug-17
Interesting comments about the arrow spine. I agree, I also thought the 500 would be the best spine until I bare shafted the arrow ie, the 400, 500 and 600. The 600 did the very best and when fitted with fetching, etc, they shoot great. These new 600 Gold Tip Traditional shafts are, 9.1 gr per inch, the 500 are 10 gpi., the 400 slightly more.

Treeline, I will take your advice, half of my shooting is off my knees.

01-Aug-17
Stay tuned to this thread. I think Paul will be showing pictures of his recurve elk hunting success soon. Good luck on your hunt Paul. Looking forward to following along.

01-Aug-17
2003 I shot my 1st bull elk and a nice buck with my compound bow and decided to only hunt with a recurve bow in the future. Since then I have taken several bucks, (confidence builders) hit a bull in 2008 that I didn't recover (heart breaker), and harvested a cow elk in 2012 while on crutches.(long story) Hang in there and wait for your shot, it will come. Your bow setup looks good and will do the job. Remember aim small, miss small. Paul good luck on your quest.

01-Aug-17
You'll get it done Paul!

01-Aug-17
Looking forward to seeing you post with a nice elk and your Great Plains bow. I think you will enjoy your new weapon.

01-Aug-17
I see where you got the 9.1 gpi now Paul. Those are the GT traditional "classics". My bad.

Best of luck!

01-Aug-17

Since I hunted this area two years ago I know the area has limited areas to ambush an elk. My plan is to be more stealthful with very limited calling since I will be hunting solo, and hunt over a nearby wallow in a makeshift blind, or along a trail between bed and feed.

01-Aug-17

When a cloud drifts over your hunting area that looks like a broad head, you know you are in the right spot.

01-Aug-17
Absolutely, good luck to you.

01-Aug-17
That one looks like a knapped point! You gonna try that next year, Paul?

BTW, they work better than you would think... Use chert for elk though, obsidian is too brittle...

02-Aug-17
Wish you nothing but the best Paul and looking forward to your story and pictures!

02-Aug-17
I have been doing the exact same thing! LOL

02-Aug-17
No problem Paul, I'd too shoot/hunt with which flew best! Good luck to you, you'll have a great year!!

ElkNut/Paul

02-Aug-17
Best of luck!! Really great to see someone take on new challenges rather than trying to find a way to make things easier. Will look forward to seeing the story because I just got a new longbow and been working towards the same goal. Going to take some work before I have the confidence but I plan on giving it my all.

06-Aug-17

Feesl good with 25#. Will be carrying 35# for the hike in
Feesl good with 25#. Will be carrying 35# for the hike in
a good omen, this young buck was at the bird feeder yesterday
a good omen, this young buck was at the bird feeder yesterday
and then add OLD GLORY and a rainbow, good luck for sure.
and then add OLD GLORY and a rainbow, good luck for sure.
OK, thanks for all of the support and encouragement guys. Heading up to the area tomorrow for a week of camping and to scout around and set up two trail cameras.

Now to continue my training and just back from a 4 mile hike. Still doing the 20 mile mt bake ride ever other day. I purchased a new back pack, ie, the Eberlestock big top, 6000 for my pack in/out. I have a lighter day pack for daily use although this new pack would also work.

Nineteen days to the Colorado openers. my best, Paul

06-Aug-17
Good luck, Paul....you got this!

06-Aug-17
Paul, Good luck on your elk hunt. I hope you succeed in your challenge. You are a inspiration to me and many here, I am sure.May all the elk be up wind and shoot straight.

12-Aug-17

the new pack met my expeditions. Chase was having a great time also.
the new pack met my expeditions. Chase was having a great time also.
found this moose cow on the way in
found this moose cow on the way in
PHASE TWO, of the Challenge---------------Scouting Did the two mile hike, gaining 1400 ft in elevation to where I will spiking in and elk hunting

12-Aug-17

love elk country
love elk country
and the summer flowers along the way
and the summer flowers along the way
mule deer bucks on the hillside
mule deer bucks on the hillside
Yep! elk country
Yep! elk country

12-Aug-17

wild berries as an extra treat.
wild berries as an extra treat.
one day by horse and not boots. Just a great day to be out.
one day by horse and not boots. Just a great day to be out.

12-Aug-17
Only 13 days to the Colorado elk season. I will be leaving home on the 23rd and will be in spike camp two days before the starter. I set up two trail camera and will be excited to see the results of placing them. I did see two groups of elk during the scouting trip and one 5 pt bull elk.

Again the challenge is to use the recurve bow and then to leave the compound bow at home. More to come after the hunt. my best, Paul

22-Aug-17

Tomorrow is the day to head out for the start of the elk hunt. Actually the "start of the elk hunt" started 11 months ago at the elk of last year's season. You elk hunters know what I mean and those that do not, when you elk hunt, you get the "fever".

Equipment laid out and ready to be packed. Some will stay in the truck. I will sleep in the truck tomorrow night and then hike up two miles to the spike camp area.

As told before, the other challenge is to leave the compound bow at home. Notice, it is not on the packing tarp and tucked way back in the corner and out of sight.

22-Aug-17
Good luck to you Paul, as a new-to-bowsite member you are an inspiration to me and I appreciate your stories! I hope you get it done with the recurve, have a great hunt and return safely.

22-Aug-17
Good luck Paul. Really looking forward to the story!

22-Aug-17
Paul, there is something infinitely satisfying of looking at a spot, allowing hand/eye coordination to guide you, and watching your arrow slip through that dime size hole. No sights to get bumped, no yardage calculation and most importantly, if you are right-handed, no top limb blocking your right eye. That last handicap caused me problems on the Bitterroot River south of Missoula when I climbed out of a tree and started hunting on the ground. I sold my wheels in 1982 and never regretted it. I fell in love with archery, bowhunting and practicing year-round after that. Lee Kline taught me how to shoot a recurve laying flat on my back and releasing an arrow drawing across my chest. Crazy. He had me shoot in incredibly awkward, real-life positions. When I took my first cow elk with a Steve Stumbo recurve, the bow was parallel with the ground and I watched that arrow slice through the top of the crease behind the front shoulder at 15 yards. She died in 10 seconds. That experience is probably my favorite so far with a bow. I've enjoyed killing several bulls but that first elk was really special. God bless you afield with the stick and string.

22-Aug-17
Look forward to updates and following your journey, Paul. Best of luck!

22-Aug-17

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Good luck Paul! One great part of elk hunting with trad gear is that slow motion memory of an arrow flying true. The bad part is that slow motion memory of your arrow sailing harmlessly under their chest. :^)

I have some of both etched in there.

Last year my only close call was a bull I intercepted as he left a wallow. I had him at around 40 yards for a few minutes and wasn't comfortable a that range. After a couple minutes I eased out my phone and snapped a pic. Eventually the wind swirled and he didn't spook but definitely caught my sent and walked straight away. Would have been a great opportunity with different gear. This year I have a tree stand on that wallow so maybe I'll win round two.

22-Aug-17
Good luck, Paul! Looking forward to the story and pics!

22-Aug-17

I hope to share a good hunt and story. my best, Paul
I hope to share a good hunt and story. my best, Paul
Ok, one step towards opening day. Every thing is in the truck and ready to go in the morning. THREE DAYS TO THE OPENING OF COLORADO'S ARCHERY ELK SEASON. I feel like a little kid on Christmas eve.

22-Aug-17
Leave the compound at home and never look back. The recurve has been around for a long time and has killed thousands of elk for all kinds of bowhunters. You just need to be confident in your equipment. Best of luck, bring plenty of game bags, and a sharp knife. Can't wait for the story and pictures. Git r done.

22-Aug-17
Paul, good luck, you're a true inspiration to me! God I sure hope I can do the things you do when I'm anywhere close to your age! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

22-Aug-17
If I ever had a mancrush....

22-Aug-17

22-Aug-17
I think I'm pulling more for Paul than I am myself! And that's saying something coming from the elkless yooper!

22-Aug-17
Good luck to you sir! Do your very best to break the fun meter!!!

22-Aug-17
Best of luck with the struggle stick!

22-Aug-17
Thanks guys for the kind words and encouragement. I well be off the grid for the next week or so and maybe until the end of the season but stay tuned for the next installment of the Challenge, ie, Part 2 is now in progress as I am off to kill an elk.

my best, Paul

22-Aug-17
Good luck my friend. The beer is on me when you get back to tell the story!!

22-Aug-17
Good luck sir! I look forward to reading your story.

22-Aug-17
Good Luck Paul! As a guy who knows how to hunt elk you'll be fine regardless of the weapon. Heck, If I can do it anybody can!

22-Aug-17
Good luck Paul.

22-Aug-17
Good luck Paul! Hope to see you up there. Tie those deer up for me! We will be up there most of season so as always come on by camp.

23-Aug-17
Good luck to you Paul! I'm sure you will have a successful hunt! You are truly an inspiration....

23-Aug-17
Good luck in your quest. You sir are truly awesome in all that you do and how you do it!

08-Sep-17
I sure hope this hunt is going well! Thinking of you Paul!

08-Sep-17
Good luck Paul! I am anxious to hear all about your hunt.

• Sitka Gear