BigOk 01-Aug-17
oldgoat 01-Aug-17
JohnB 01-Aug-17
bad karma 01-Aug-17
BigOk 02-Aug-17
milnrick 02-Aug-17
RogBow 02-Aug-17
01-Aug-17
Thinking about switching back to hunting with a compound after using recurve for past 10 plus years. The area i hunt is extremely open and would like be able to shoot farther. Any recommendations on new bows??

01-Aug-17
If I was switching back, G5 Prime would be my choice. They've pretty much eliminated cam lean with their design. Either that or Hoyt Carbon Defiant, it's super light compared to a lot of them!

01-Aug-17
Go to a pro shop not a box store, and shoot all the models and the bow will tell you which one!

01-Aug-17
The standard advice, and it's good advice, is to go to a pro shop and shoot a few bows. One will pick you.

Most of us will tell you "what I last bought." I guess I'm no different. I went to my local bow shop in 2014, shot an Obsession Evolution once, said "Oh, s**t," put it on the counter and threw down a mastercard for a deposit on a special order. Still love that bow. You'll find another bow, by Mathews, Hoyt or others, that'll pick you too,

02-Aug-17
Thanks for the suggestions. Will be taking the trusty recurve this year but will start looking for the 2018 season.

02-Aug-17
I agree with OlGoat, the G5 Prime is definitely worth a close and serious look. I'm shooting a'16 Prime Ion, it's awesome.

My wife shot the Prime Centergy Air a few weeks ago ordered one, we'll be getting it set up this weekend. I think you'll be impressed with the fit and finish as well as overall performance.

02-Aug-17
After you get your proper draw length measurement with a release in hand, I'd suggest a bow that has tunable features. This means at least one yoke. I also look for a slightly longer ATA, I like 34" min and would go to 38" max no problem. 7 inch brace height is a good minimum, it's better to have string clearance with jackets on than a few extra FPS. Consistent grip is very important. I like side plates or a grip shaped like the Shrewd. This reduces side torque. A cable rod system that allows the cables to slide backward, or move as they are put under load helps to reduce torque as well. You don't want a fixed position cable guide. After you narrow this search to certain models that fit the criteria, do a search on problems with them. Problems like limb separation, poor paint quality, cheap components etc. All makers have an issue here or there so take what you read with a grain. Customer service is critical in case you get a lemon. I rate customer service right there with bow features. Finally, you can get last years model for hundreds less if you shop around online, just be sure it's not a demo and NIB w warranty.

• Sitka Gear