Paul@thefort 02-Aug-17
Paul@thefort 02-Aug-17
smarba 02-Aug-17
jordanathome 02-Aug-17
Paul@thefort 03-Aug-17
TD 03-Aug-17
LKH 03-Aug-17
02-Aug-17
I just retrieved my best external frame back pack for my next elk hunting adventure. I purchased this pack 4 years ago with no issue over the past few years.. While putting it one today and adjusting the belt and other straps, they started to rip in half. Bummer--Dry Rot. There is no way to replace all of the straps so it looks like this pack is heading for the garbage can.

Question???? Anyone else have this issue with back pack straps dry rotting after a few years?

I understand there might be a spray that can be use to prevent dry rot.

my best, Paul

02-Aug-17
No,"Dry rot occurs when a fabric is exposed to moisture and doesn't dry completely, or when it has been stored in a humid environment" I have never had it happen to my backpack. I have had tarps and stuff, but only when left to the elements. Friend had his wall tent fall apart when we pulled in out for the hunting season. We think it was moist when he stored it. I now double check that my tent is clean and completely dry before I store it.

02-Aug-17
SS, I had stored this pack,hanging, in the garage attic and here in Colorado there is not much of a humid environment. But I know what you are saying for sure. Just surprised that it has not happened to my other back packs. I guess I have to go shopping today.

Thanks for the reply. Paul

02-Aug-17
What brand of frame? I'd be surprised if you can't find straps, etc. to get it back up and running

02-Aug-17
https://store.kifaru.net/mobile/shoulder-straps-p121.aspx

02-Aug-17
Crazy, maybe it had issues when you bought it and time has brought them to light?

02-Aug-17
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Military-MOLLE-Rifleman-DESERT-TAN-FRAME-SHOULDER-STRAPS-BELT-NEW-ASSEMBLED-/112376341495?hash=item1a2a26e3f7%3Ag%3A68MAAOSwWWxY93Tv&_trkparms=pageci%253Aca288947-77a6-11e7-a91a-74dbd180b26c%257Cparentrq%253Aa3f5ee0115d0a8672e89f252fffb1feb%257Ciid%253A2

02-Aug-17
A really good seamstress might be able to replace them for you... I had some stuff done to one of my packs and it was better than new when she finished with it.

Scar.

02-Aug-17
No dry rot but I had a mouse chew on a Kifaru pack. Mouse season opened that day!!!

02-Aug-17
Paul, I'd think it was more the material the straps were made out of than anything. A quality nylon lasts a good many years here and we are pretty humid. Even the diving gear lasts near forever. Sun will ruin things too, poly pro the worst. I've also seen good straps that were sewn with junk thread that fell apart at the seams, literally.

Cheap straps are often a cotton/synthetic blend, the cotton stiffens and "fills out" the weave and cotton will dry rot. Never heard of quality 100% nylon or nylon blends with high tech fibers going rotten..... not in just 4 years.

WRT treatments for straps, most companies claim it's not needed.... but I've used paraffin wax on them. Rub it on and use a hair dryer to melt it. (don't let the heat sit in one spot though) It melts fast, as soon as it melts the fibers suck it right into the strap. Not so much to "seal" it or preserve it, but so the straps slide easier. It might help at seams as well kind of like bowstring wax helps lube the string fibers on your bow. I do it once a year or so on my tree saddle. I haven't done it to my pack yet but likely will soon when I get a chunk of time. Pack has so many straps on it to take apart I'm not looking forward to it.

I've read where folks have made their own "treatments" with different formulas too, bees wax melted and mixed with lanolin, etc. but have never tried any of those. Yet. =D

02-Aug-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
TD, I think you hit the nail on the head, Cheap Straps on this Gander Mt Product. All of the straps are like this, ie dry rot and it takes no effort to rip them apart.

02-Aug-17
I just checked my ALPS day pack and the straps are exactly constructed and color (tan color) as the Gander Mt products. I bet the same issue will come up with this pack also. Heading out to find a new pack of better quality. Paul

02-Aug-17
I concur with TD. I have a swimming duffle bag that is close to 30 years old. It's been at the pool, in a locker, baked in the truck of our car and in the garage etc. and only just this year has the nylon fabric and straps begun to dry rot. Never heard of such a thing in just 4 years unless it's been hanging in direct sun outside.

Must have been really, really cheap straps.

02-Aug-17
Check out JAX Outdoors....they may have "parts" to salvage the pack.

03-Aug-17
Well just solved my need for a back pack, as I just purchased a Eberlestock Big Top Pack.

I threw away my old pack as all of the straps tore in half and were un repairable.

Thanks for the input. Paul

03-Aug-17
Good call. EB packs are well made. They won't blow up on you out in the field. Or tear out a zipper as, um, some other brands do...

03-Aug-17
Too bad, Paul. My wife would have sewn new straps on. She regularly builds packs for me and has made two new bags for my Camptrails Packframe.

• Sitka Gear