oldgoat 03-Aug-17
elk yinzer 03-Aug-17
Truckie 03-Aug-17
6x7 03-Aug-17
Surfbow 03-Aug-17
Bill Obeid 03-Aug-17
South Farm 03-Aug-17
03-Aug-17
I'm going floorless this year for the first time with a stove. I have backpack hunted for a while now but always with a cheaper floored tent. I have a Kifaru slick bag and a fairly light inflatable pad 18oz I think. This has always kept me warm enough in late September.

This year I'm going in early October, the pack in is about 5-7 miles, I'm wondering for you guys who hunt floorless shelters with stoves do you pack in your sleeping pad for warmth or does the stove keep you warm enough as it is. I will be using a tyvek ground cloth but I'm wondering if the ground will still make me cold after the fire dies down, or if I can save the weight and go without the pad. Shelter is the Kifaru TUT with 18inch cylinder stove.

-D

03-Aug-17
I would use a sleeping pad for comfort and warmth. The stove keeps your warm when your awake and feeding it wood. But once asleep it will run out quick and temp will drop

03-Aug-17
Ermine x2. Would never hunt without it

03-Aug-17
X3!

03-Aug-17
You would be better off packing a sleeping pad and ditching the stove than vice versa.

03-Aug-17
Thanks guys! I'll bring both

03-Aug-17
Definitely both. Another lesson I learned the hard way is that site selection with a floorless is paramount. Don't ask. I would never go back to a floor though.

03-Aug-17
Insulated sleeping pad + stove for the later hunts!

03-Aug-17
Never be w/o the pad. I'd rather be w/o the bag if I had to choose

03-Aug-17
The stove heats the air, NOT the ground. You need that pad to keep the chill from creeping into your back at night.

• Sitka Gear