midwest 04-Aug-17
Native Okie 04-Aug-17
HUNT MAN 04-Aug-17
hobbes 04-Aug-17
Ermine 04-Aug-17
hobie 06-Aug-17
wyobullshooter 07-Aug-17
03-Aug-17
I'm a rookie elk caller. only elk hunted 5 times.

i am a very good turkey caller, and know how to use a diaphragm call.

i can already bugle ok, and make cow sounds. been using some primos calls....

what calls do you prefer?

03-Aug-17
bugling bull. They have a good assortment you can buy in a kit. Easy to pick out the ones you like.

03-Aug-17
I like Primos calls for elk diaphragm calls.

03-Aug-17
Bugling Bull

Bull Sounds you can't go wrong with the tried and true "Raging Bull" (Brown Reed)

Cow sounds the best there is "Mellow Yellow" (Yellow Reed)

Good Luck!

03-Aug-17
Bugling Bull...Elk Nut turned me on to the Mistress and I'm using that I'm our calling seminars now. A very versital diaphragm with excellent results.

03-Aug-17
Bugling Bull...I prefer the Elk 101 All-Star for all sounds.

03-Aug-17
Carlton Triple is the only one I've been able to get good bull sounds with. The domed calls don't work well for me for some reason.

Best of Luck, Jeff

03-Aug-17
The best thing to do is buy a bunch of different ones and you'll find some work better for you than others. I do pretty well with Mistress, Raging Bull, All Star and Challenge (all from Bugling Bull) but for some reason can't make the Mellow Yellow Mama sound good at all. Everyone and their brother says it's super easy but not for me. I recently picked up some Phelps Amp calls and so far they seem okay for me but I haven't tried them much.

It sucks to have to buy 10 diaphragm calls to find out 3-4 work for you and the others don't, but I don't know any other way. Everyone has a different sized mouth.

03-Aug-17
Different strokes for different folks. My all around favorite is the Primos Imperial Plate (red).

Although I'm a pretty good caller, for years I could not make a decent sound with a plastic dome call, especially the All-Star that everybody raves about . Last year after watching how Corey kind of puckers his lips when he calls I started puckering a little and low and behold all of a sudden I started making good sounds with the plastic dome calls. That sent me on a mission to try all sorts of different plastic dome calls and I found several that I like and a green Carlton reed that I really like.

03-Aug-17
Wapiti River calls seem to work well for me

03-Aug-17
I have plenty. Just ordered some Phelps diaphragms. Ones that I like (so far)

Primos White

Mellow Yellow

Primos Blue

Sometimes it depends on how soggy one is. I keep rotating them and looking for ones that I get good tone.

03-Aug-17
I've tried a bunch and suggest you do the same, keep going back to Primos Top Pin, it fits my mouth better and it seems the colored latex reeds last longer. I know other people that, that call doesn't work for. Keep experimenting with brands and models till you find what works! I'd much rather give my money to some of the Western Call makers than Wil Primos, but I just can't use their calls as well! I plan on giving the new Phelps Amp calls a try though this year!

03-Aug-17
I've used every call on this thread and then some. They're all nice. Current favorite is Phelps Amp, the grey one

03-Aug-17
It's all about the fit for me. A lot of the primos are too wide. The hard horseshoe part. It's doesn't deal against the roof of my mouth. The mellow yellow is so easy and makes a great mew!

03-Aug-17
Wapiti river outdoors domed series! The black widow for all around calling is great! The reaper is an excellent bugling reed!

04-Aug-17
Bugling Bull Challenge (blue) and Raging Bull (brown)

04-Aug-17
Primos white palate plate, Phelps Amp Green are currently my favorites.

04-Aug-17
Raging bull brown and mini master blue . Both from bugling bull. Hunt

04-Aug-17
Bugling Bull.... Mellow Momma has been my favorite for a while now. I just received the new TST Rockstar and Elk101 All-Star. I immediately liked the Rockstar, but the All-star hasnt stood out as a favorite. In addition to those, also from BB, I like the Raging Bull andEstrus exited, but prefer the Mellow Momma and Rockstar.

Id like to try some of the Phelps calls but havent gotten around to it.

04-Aug-17
Any of the ones made by corey Jacobsen

06-Aug-17
I'm having a difficult time finding the Bugling Bull calls (esp. all-star and mellow-yellow) and the Phelp calls locally and on the internet. Any suggestions?

07-Aug-17
hobie, if you can't find them locally, go to elk101.com. You'll find both Bugling Bull and Phelps.

• Sitka Gear