onX Maps
Learned something & found a gr8 pro shop
Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
DartonJager 05-Aug-17
mountainman 07-Aug-17
DartonJager 07-Aug-17
05-Aug-17
Thought I had my new DS3714 all set up and tuned. Was shooting (for me at least) not just great, but my best groups ever out to 45 yards with field points. Then I screwed on my broad heads and instantly my groups went to crapola land. I double checked everything and all looked good. Depending on ones point of view, I am either blessed or cursed that I work 24-32 hours of OT EVERY week, great on pay day, but leaves me little time for much else besides my family. So I decided to seek help in solving my tuning problem. The only pro shop I could find near me that was knowledgeable about tuning Dartons is Riverside Archery in Sumava Resorts IN which is about 70 minuets from my home. So away I went.

Less than 45 minuets after I got there the fine gentile men who owns the place had my bow tuned and shooting well. Went from BH's impacting 5-6" high and left from my FP's down to 2" dead left. What did he find wrong? Well for starters my arrows were way over spined and my rest was just a tad off center. He then increased my draw weight by 2.5lbs to 52.5 to 55lbs and like magic my problems were gone. He also checked my cam timing (perfect) and my nock location and all was good.

I had consulted the so called experts where I bought my over spined carbon arrows prior to buying and bought what was recommended for 50-60lb draw weight with a 28.5" draw length, 100 grain tip and a release aid, because in the opinion of the person I dealt with you are better to be over spined than under spined, as my set up was on the bubble between two different arrow classes of stiffness.

So yes contrary to what I have read many times on the net (mostly at Archery Talk) your carbon arrows can be over spined and yes they will affect your accuracy. So I got a great deal on a dozen custom dipped Beman carbon arrows, solved my tuning problem, learned a few new things about tuning and found a great pro shop in the process.

So for those who like me didn't thing spine stiffness need be that close think again and I can not recommend River Side Archery In Sumava Resorts IN strongly enough. Great shop and knowledgeable and honest people work there. Nice to walk into a pro shop and their focus is on helping you rather than selling you something.

07-Aug-17
So what spine were you shooting? And what spine did you end up with?

07-Aug-17
Was shooting 360 ended up with 400.

• Sitka Gear