SoDakSooner 07-Aug-17
Franzen 07-Aug-17
midwest 07-Aug-17
Wood 08-Aug-17
Bushwacker 08-Aug-17
SoDakSooner 08-Aug-17
caribou77 08-Aug-17
05-Aug-17
My older back pack just bit the dust as most of the straps "dry rotted" and ripped in half. So I just purchased the Eberlestock 6000 Big Top pack (made in the USA) for my elk hunting for $378 including tax from Sportsman's Warehouse. I purchased the Dry Earth color and not the camo.

After watching the "set up" Video on the Eberlestock Web Page, and adjusting the two adjustment back bars of conform to my back, plus other adjustments recommended on the video, I am set to go. While not a perfect day pack, it can surely be used as one because it will compress down, but I will be using it to carry up my spike camp/food/etc. and then to pack out an elk most often.

Any other Eberlestock uses out there and what has been your experience with the products? my best, Paul

05-Aug-17
I have an X2 for carrying all my whitetail hang and hunt stuff. I've had it about four years, it is absolutely bullet proof. I beat the crap out of it with treestand and climbing sticks attached to it.

The fit could definitely be better and the load lifters don't function on it but it is set up perfect for hang and hunt style hunting.

05-Aug-17
I have a X2 which is a great day pack. My first was a 107 which I still have. The only thing I don't like is the lack of load lifters. Sold the Team Elk just because. The 2 I have are bulletproof. Still looking for the perfect pack.

05-Aug-17
I have the eberlestock J-34 "just one" pack. I love mine. It's a bit heavy compared to some of the more light weight packs but that thing has proven to be bomb proof so far. It's fairly comfortable for my personal body frame and expands from a day pack to a cargo hauler and handles the load well for someone who knows how to distribute the pack correctly.

05-Aug-17
I own the blue widow and recently purchased the mainframe. The mainframe along with a roll top dry bag will be going with me to Quebec in a few short weeks. Been doing 80# trading hikes with it. Eventually I'll purchase a little big top for it. Do yourself a favor and pick up a multipack and the buckles to attach it as a bino harness. Very organized and comfortable.

05-Aug-17
My Just One has been terrific . No complaints. I use the spike camp duffel ( or whatever it's called ) and I've had no trouble . Hauled out several whitetail and mule deer. No elk or moose yet . Having previously hauled out a moose with a frame pack , I can say I don't feel the Just One is up to the task .

05-Aug-17
Paul, my partner has the Blue widow with the super spike duffel and loves the system. He has the mulitpack as well.

Dave

05-Aug-17
I've had the just one pack for 5 or 6 years now,packed many white tails and a couple mulies out with it. First real hunting pack I've ever had so don't have anything to compare it to but really satisfied with it.

05-Aug-17
I have had a blue widow for several years, it works well for me and what I do. Have packed out several elk, and deer and a moose. I would like to try a kifiru but I don't think this thing will ever were out.

05-Aug-17
I have an X1E and its great. The are built pretty stout and not the lightest but mines withstood a lot of abuse.

05-Aug-17
Blue Widow here. Not near as much experience as most on this thread but I doubt I will ever wear it out. Probably the only western pack I will ever own.

05-Aug-17
Just one for me too. It is heavier but it's great.

05-Aug-17
Paul I have the Blue Widow. It is heavier than I would like but when loaded I can comfortably carry more weight in it than I can with any other pack that I have had.

I hope that yours works good for you!

06-Aug-17
I bought an Eberlestock Half Track 7 years ago. I believe it is only around 2,150ci and use it as a day pack but push it hard. I emailed Eberlestock when I was buying and the owner emailed me back the same day. I have used it every year. Elk, Deer, Bear I've used it too pack out meat many times and never had any issues with it. I'm considering going to a bigger pack for my goat hunt but may just use a pack frame for the extended trip. I can't compare it to many of the other brands but know I have gotten more than I have asked from it and believe it to be very comfortable at 6-7lbs they are very reasonable weight.

06-Aug-17
I've got the Just One and like it. Weighed it after hauling out Mountain Goat and with the goat and gear (including rifle) it weighed just under 120 pounds. Pack held up fine, although it was difficult to stand up in! I did break a snow shoe when it was that heavy, after about 5 steps (don't use cheap snow shoes). My only complaint would be that I would like to be able to completely remove the scabbard during bow season. But I mostly day hunt now so don't use it much except for packing out game or backpacking during summer.

06-Aug-17
Had the Blue Widow. Realized there's no need to have such a heavy pack with all the other packs on the market today. Love the Stone Glacier 3300.

06-Aug-17
I know it's not what you are asking but I just switched over to Kifaru around 4 years ago and am super impressed. It's a lot more $ but I got mine almost new at a giant discount. I've hardly ever heard a Kifaru complaint. With Kifaru it's possible to use a frame and swap out bags. They have a large selection of bags..from ultralight to ginormous. The frame is capable of 100+ lb loads. I often switch back and forth between bags depending upon the trip. I have a gigantic bag that holds gobs of turkey decoys + a couple toms....or lifesized capes plus camp! If I wouldn't have gotten Kifaru I would have bought Stone Glacier.

06-Aug-17
+1 on the Kifaru. Just got back from a 3 day scouting trip and couldn't be happier.

07-Aug-17
Rokslide classified ads for pre-owned Kifaru gear will be your new friend ;-)

07-Aug-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo

07-Aug-17

Mad_Angler's Link
I have an X2. It has hauled moose quarters, caribou quarters, lots of deer, pop-up blinds, tree stands.

It is a great day pack that can be stretched into other services.

You can add cheap load lifters to the X2 that will help quite a bit.

If it not a perfect elk pack. But it is an amazing pack for about $125.

07-Aug-17
Its true that the Blue widow is a bit heavier than other packs but I like mine especially when I strap a whole elk hind quarter hair and all into the pouch and take off with it. Not sure how some of the lighter packs haul the heavy loads but the Widow does a good job of being a day pack, a back pack and a heavy hauler. If I was going to spend the money to save a pound and a half or two it would be on a tent or a sleep bag as I like the sturdiness the Eberlestock offers

07-Aug-17
I used my x2 for one year and ditched it. Too short for my torso. Load lifters are useless and waist belt will not stay tight...and it squeaks under load. That said, I like it for treestand hunting...lol. My shoulders were so sore after an 8 day hunt, it took several days to recover. I never had more than about 30 lbs in it. I have been running a KUIU Icon 5200 for the last few years and it is light years ahead of the eberlestock with regards to suspension system and comfort while carrying. It is a bit more susceptible to damage as the material is lighter and they did have some issues with the carbon fiber frame the first year or two. I have never even seen a Kifaru, but have tried on a stone glacier(which was nice), but IMO I would stay away from the x2 if you are tall at all. I did have the j34 also(traded it for the x2, but didn't like the stay system(i prefer a full frame.)

07-Aug-17
I have a Blue Widow... decent for the money. I wouldn't want to regularly carry 60+ lb. loads with it. It meets the requirements for versatility in the low to mid price range though, and it certainly won't rip apart at the first sign of a reasonable load.

07-Aug-17
I have an X2. Great for a day pack and whitetails. Hauled a first load elk quarter with it once....that sucked. Wrap hockey tape around the frame and no more squeaks.

08-Aug-17
Speaking of squeaks, are there any that don't squeak?

08-Aug-17
After a ton of research, I just purchased two of the Vanguard Pioneer 2100 for myself and my daughter. We didn't need a really big backpack and we wanted a non-camo model as we'll use it for our carry on bag when flying, so we opted for the olive drab green. After our trip to Alaska in May, I realized our current 'city slicker' backpacks were not adequate for our needs in the field and I wanted one that we could strap a bow or rifle onto when needed.

08-Aug-17
I think most do squeak a little. my current one isn't as bad, but i did do the tape wrapping thing on the x2 and sprinkled talc on spots and it did help a lot.

FYI...My brother hunts with an Osprey and really likes it. Nice pack.

08-Aug-17
My mainframe doesnt squeak at all, Wood. Nor does my blue widow. Though hauling a big load I'd much rather have my mainframe. Wish it was 2 inches taller. The load lifters would function better. As is they are not bad.

• Sitka Gear