Tracker 09-Aug-17
DartonJager 10-Aug-17
patdel 11-Aug-17
Pigsticker 11-Aug-17
olebuck 11-Aug-17
carcus 11-Aug-17
Brotsky 11-Aug-17
05-Aug-17
Ok. I'm lost. Bullet holes paper tuning and French tuned. I'm shooting bare shafts and blazer Fletched arrows and they group together at 20 yards.

Screw on a deep six slicktrick, and they hit 6 inches right. No matter what I do. In my basement. No wind.

Hoyt Carbon Defiant. 70lbs. 28 1/2 draw length. Easton deep six fmj. 330 spine.

I'm starting to think I need a 300 spine. Multiple archery shops telling me 330s are fine, but they can't tune it either.

Anybody have thoughts? I can get worse with rest adjustments, but not better.

05-Aug-17
While I don't know anything about a Hoyt, I had similar problems with a PSE. After trying about 6 different broadheads, I read about yoke tuning. Now, the nearest pro shop is 45 miles from me so I bought me a bow press, money well spent! I googled yoke tuning read it all, and it works! Now I got six different fixed blade broadheads flying like field points out to 45 yards. Lay an arrow up against your top cam and see if it's parallel to the string.

05-Aug-17
Make sure your centershot is within spec (13/16 to 7/8 from riser) and then adjust yoke.

05-Aug-17
Set to center shot per HDE's advice first.

Bare shaft impact is only half of it. The bareshaft should be in the target at exactly the same agle as the fletched shaft. If you're broadheads are hitting right it's likely the nock of the bareshaft is left of the alignment of the fletched. If so, then twist the left yoke 1/2 a turn and untwist the right an equal amount. This assumes you have a good target medium such as a new broad head target. If you're shooting into a worn bag target it'll be touch to tell.

05-Aug-17
Yep center and square then start yoke tuning

05-Aug-17
I had a similar problem with my Darton DS3714. After tuning the bow and getting great groups out to 40 yards with field points, BH's impacted much differently. Went to a pro shop who actually knows Darton bows and the person there told me my arrows were over spined and based on my arrow flight, my rest was ever so slightly to much to the left. Went to 400's down from 340's, adjusted rest and wha-la BH's & FP's hitting >2" from each other. TRy the simplest and cheapest solution first. See if a pro shop or friend will let you shoot a less or more stiffly spined arrow and dbl check all other aspects of your set up land have a friend confirm you have near perfect BH tipped arrow flight to tell you if your rest needs adjusting like mine did. You really need a friend to watch your arrow flight to let you know what your arrow flight can tell you that combined with your BH tipped arrows impacts can tell you much about what could be wrong with your arrows or set up. Lastly, have you spin tested your BH's on your arrows? Mis-aligned BH's can give you flight problems also. '

05-Aug-17
I am currently shooting a 28 1/4" draw at 72 lbs (27" arrow) and 330 spine, 150 grs up front. Zero problems.

Get your bow in spec and you should be good to go.

06-Aug-17
When bare shaft tuning you need to wrap some vinyl electrical tape where the vanes should be to make up the weight difference.

06-Aug-17
If bare shafts and Fletched are hitting together at 20 yards, your broadhead should hit there too. Do the arrows spin true with the broadheads on? What are your arrows Fletched with?

06-Aug-17
Buffalo they're Fletched with blazers. Arrows spin true. I've never had so many problems tuning a bow in my life. Gonna try a different spine. If that don't work, I'm tossing the whole works off a bridge. I'm incredibly frustrated.

06-Aug-17
patdel - you're shooting a bow that dials in well for yoke tuning if needed.

06-Aug-17
It could be spine but it does not make sense that it will shoot bare shaft and fletched together at 20 yards if the spine is too weak. I would try a 300 spine though, stranger things have happened. Are the bare shafts impacting the target parallel to the Fletched arrows, or do they hit at an angle?

06-Aug-17
Put a twist in your left yoke and take a twist out of the right yoke and try again. If it's closer then rinse and repeat until broadheads are impacting on aim point. The paper and bare shaft is just a start, now work on the broadheads.

06-Aug-17
Slight nock left angle with bare shafts. Gonna try some 300s, and if that doesn't work, I've got a friend with a press, I'll drive up there and start playing with yoke. Thanks for the advice.

06-Aug-17
OK, that makes sense. Put a twist in the left yoke and take one out of the right and go from there, will likely need a couple of iterations.

06-Aug-17
Whatever you do, treat the problem, not the symptom.

06-Aug-17
Does anyone have a good link to yoke tuning?

06-Aug-17
Don't see how you can be under spined. I shoot Easton Axis 340's; 70 lb draw weight, 30" draw length, 29 1/4" arrow with 100 grain Slick Tricks and Exodus shooting right where my field points hit out to 60 yards. What rest are you using and did they chamber the inside of the arrow to square the insert?

06-Aug-17
Yoke tuning will take care of this. You aren't bare shaft tuned unless your fletched and bare shafts enter the target at the same angle at 20 yards. At 30 or more point of impact will be more meaningful.

06-Aug-17
Qad drop away. I very much doubt arrows were chambered. I don't even know what that means.

I appreciate the input. I've never had a struggle like this getting broadheads to shoot.

I've still got my old bow, and it's dialed in, I just would like to use this one.

06-Aug-17
Rest could be the problem .

06-Aug-17
If these same arrows do well on your old bow, it's not the arrows...

07-Aug-17
They're different shafts. I wanted to try the skinny arrows. My old arrows are 340s and they shoot fine out of my old bow. But that one has ten lbs less draw weight.

07-Aug-17
Compare the force to nock the old arrows compared to the new ones. They should be snug, but not too tight.

My primitive gear, tight enough to hold the arrow but not enough to hold the bow.

07-Aug-17

Barty1970's embedded Photo
Barty1970's embedded Photo
When my Hoyt Faktor 34 needed new string and cables, the pro shop overhaul found my bow had some lower cam lean...when corrected with two twists of the yoke, I was shooting less than one MOA at 60 yards with both Slick Trick Magnum 125grs and FPs hitting same POI

07-Aug-17
"They're different shafts. I wanted to try the skinny arrows. My old arrows are 340s..."

That makes sense - larger diameter "shafts" are inherently stiffer.

07-Aug-17
I would turn your bow poundage down to see if you are underspined. You can easily turn it back up.

07-Aug-17
I usually start yolk tuning once I'm at your stage. Little goes a long ways. Twist on the left yolk and untwist the right yolk.

07-Aug-17
Awesome! Yoke tuning my Hoyt just brought my BSs, FPs, and BHs all to the same spot out to 40 yards.

07-Aug-17
I have a Pro defiant 34 and had the same problem with Easton hexx 330. So we switched to a Gold tip 300 spine 4 Fletch and it made all the difference.

07-Aug-17
I have been battling with a right broadhead on my defiant pro Turbo. Arrows are 250 spine. 58 grain insert with a 125 grain tip. Tonight I switched shafts to an axis 340 spine with hit insert. 125 grain tip. Top cam is plum. Ended up moving center shot to 5/8". Also had to get knock low to get it to broadhead tune.

Tomorrow I am going to do some twists on my yoke to try and get center shot back in the 3/4" range.

Bottom line op. I think your shafts are good but lots of chatter on tuning Defiants and issues doing so. It seems they like knock low.

09-Aug-17
Been swamped at work. Helicopter crashed into a poweline. I'm on no sleep. Haven't had time to mess with it, but I'm gonna play with the yokes some when I get a chance....

Thanks all.

09-Aug-17
Anyone killed in the chopper crash? Civ or military?

suggest 1/2 twist at a time.

09-Aug-17
Just by some Rage and all it quits.LOL

10-Aug-17
Had basically same problem as you. Was shooting at 53-54lbs DW, 30" arrows W/100grn tips at 28.5" DL and using 340 spined arrows, at the advice of a more knowledgeable person tried 400 spined arrows and increased DW to 55-56lbs and solved my problem. Might not work for you, but trying it would be a very simple and near cost free possible solution to your problem.

11-Aug-17
Russell, civilian cropduster. Actually happened twice this week. 69000 volt line hit Sunday. 161000 volt line hit Monday. Both pilots walked away.

A twist in the left yoke and a twist out of the right helped a lot. Tried 300 spine arrows and it helped some more.

I've got broadheads, field points and bare shafts touching at 30 yards.

Thanks every one. Hde, the center shot wound at exactly 13/16s.

11-Aug-17

11-Aug-17
i would say your were underspined as well.

i shoot 70/28 and i shoot .300 spine - it flies like a dart.

i'll be adding a new WC bowstring next week and going through the entire process again myself.

11-Aug-17
You couldn't give me a bow that doesn't have at least one static yoke! 2 is even better

11-Aug-17
Glad to hear it worked out for you patdel! I also love static yokes! Tuning is a breeze! I shoot 29/70 and my rig also likes .300 spine. Good luck this fall!

• Sitka Gear