r-man 08-Aug-17
MK111 08-Aug-17
WV Mountaineer 08-Aug-17
t-roy 08-Aug-17
ScottG 10-Aug-17
EmbryO-klahoma 10-Aug-17
nutritionist 10-Aug-17
06-Aug-17
Planted plot Saturday the 30th. Not much growth, then I checked camera and had turkeys going to town on the seed. Need some ideas to keep those buggers out of there.

06-Aug-17
Are they after the seed or just bugs stirred up in the loose ground?

06-Aug-17
Sure it's the seed. Planted 2 plots, 1 at hunting property and 1 in my yard same seed. No turkeys at my house and the plot was 2 inches in a week. Turkey in the hunting plot and very little growth

06-Aug-17
May be to late already, but if it's legal, would a feeder keep the Turkeys off the seed long enough for it to get started? Will take that into consideration when I plant later this month!

06-Aug-17
Think a coyote decoy would keep them out?

06-Aug-17
Farmers in this part of the country pour out last years corn around the field edges to keep the hogs off the planted corn, otherwise they will go right down the rows eating ALL the seed corn. Ask me how I know !

08-Aug-17
like crows propane canon

08-Aug-17
bottle rocket

08-Aug-17
I planted forage oats 2 years ago then it didn't rain as projected. The turkeys moved in and scratched up every seed and never got one oat plant in a whole 1 ac. Had to replant when it later rained.

08-Aug-17
Turkeys are the biggest threat we face in declination of log jobs. They will eat any kind of seed you throw down. And, they'll eat it all. There's only one answer to the problem that I know will work. But, that's likely 2.5 months away. They become conditioned to you replanting it as well.

I've often thought that a big stuffed animal posted in plain sight of the seeding would work. All you need is germination and they'll back off it some. I can't say that I've tried it though. But, I would in this situation. Good luck and God Bless

08-Aug-17
What type of seed did you plant? Hard to believe they would be able to find all of the brassicas seed if that's what you planted. I would think you are a little early if planting rye/wheat/oats as well.

10-Aug-17
Planted grandpa rays inner sanctum. They didn't find all the seed, but a good portion of it. Some gemantion but not a ton of it. Camera shows them on the plot for 5 days straight. A good turkey is a dead turkey. Almost as bad as the coyotes. Oh and the bobcat wondering around.

10-Aug-17
I planted a small plot years back and found the same thing happened. It was just winter wheat, but the turkeys tilled it up in no time. That plot looked like the top of a 50 year old bald mans head with 5 day stubble.

10-Aug-17
if turkeys, sand hill cranes are an issue use AVIPEL

also thats one advantage of small seeds vs large seeds if you have a problem with birds. There is so many seeds per foot with brassicas and clovers that there is no way they can consume all of them or even a portion of them. Corn, soybeans, cowpeas and grains and a whole different story.

• Sitka Gear