Ron Murphy 07-Aug-17
ahunter55 07-Aug-17
Buffalo1 07-Aug-17
Bowriter 07-Aug-17
rick allison 07-Aug-17
06-Aug-17

Bowriter's embedded Photo
Bowriter's embedded Photo
Was sorting images this afternoon and found this one. This was during a period I was testing bows and had set one up to hunt. Back then, (maybe 2002), I could shoot fairly well. Now, I have to shoot a crossbow and am not nearly that accurate shooting offhand.

06-Aug-17
Unfortunately ( maybe fortunately ) old age comes to all or most of us. What it's done to my bow shooting has made me drop ten plus pounds of draw weight and 20 yards off my max effective range. I'm still shooting vertical bows though, and thankful for that !

06-Aug-17
I dropped a bunch of pounds and can shoot once or twice but with quite a bit of pain. Can't shoot enough to stay what I call proficient. Right shoulder is pretty much toast. Long way from shooting 75-100 times a day.

06-Aug-17

BC's embedded Photo
BC's embedded Photo
After multiple shoulder surgeries I'm shooing 55lbs. It works for me and accuracy is good. I still keep the advil handy when I shoot a lot of arrows.

06-Aug-17
Good for you. I have had two surgeries. Docs say total replacement would be too extensive due to all the other problems, especially at my age. Besides, I through getting cut on.

06-Aug-17
As long as they make Aleve, I ain't getting under the knife !

06-Aug-17
Have you tried a mouth tab, John?

06-Aug-17

ahunter55's embedded Photo
Age Does take it's toll. In my 61 years of archery now, bowhunting has "always" been 25 & under yds for me regardless of traditional or compound. Starting in 1956 I had 20 years b/4 compounds took over. Eyes fail most of us to some degree & the joints we never know plus the un forseen surgeries (I have had 3 back operations + a fusion). I've had a "major" right shoulder (busted tendon that hold bicep & it fell to my joint/elbow). Another biggie on my left elbow +, 1 knee. I'll be 76 in Nov so humping up a ridge takes awhile & my pack is lighter. I don't walk a mile to a stand anymore but take my time covering on average 200 yds now. I still shoot 60# compound & a 50# Longbow with no problems though a Dr. told me my archery was done when I had the shoulder done 30 years ago. I know I won't shoot those perfect or near perfect scores I did in my tourney days but I still manage to hold my own. I still shoot 112 arrows in a field round & 90 in the 900 target rounds so 40 at a 3-D is a breeze. I started competing again in 2010 after nearly a 30 year layoff of "real" competing. I still "walk" my hunting areas looking for Deer sign (I love it-just slower) & hang/move my own stands. I have been blessed by the man upstairs to still have those abilities. My brother (69) had to start using a crossbow due to crippled hands from arthritis & surgery on both (he didn't want to but he loves to bowhunt & has for 50 years). I've managed to have experienced many adventures with the bow in many states & like I said, still manage to keep them in the target "someplace". Photo is state or National awards since 2010. I get lucky once in awhile. Hardest part right now is "walking" 28 targets on a field range due to "both" knees being shot & telling my VA Dr. I'll have the surgery they want me to have when I have to crawl in. God bless us oldies. Growing old is NOT for Pus--ys

06-Aug-17
" Growing old is NOT for Pus-ys ". You are so right ! From 50 to 60 wasn't too bad, but the next ten years was twice as bad. I'm good for about a half day of manual labor now, and eight hours on a tractor is all I want. I'll keep it up 'til I can't though !

07-Aug-17
You can avoid surgery. But what has the price been???

I've had 4 surgeries on my shoulders and am shooting my 63# bow with plans to jump to the 69 soon.

I have a partial tear of the rotator on my right, but it's not bad. When it gets too bad I'm getting surgery. I am not willing to just go downhill without a fight.

In 4 months I'll be 70.

07-Aug-17
If you hit what you are aiming at on the first shot you don't need practice . One shot a day to be sure your on target and everything is working as it should. Thats all you'll get out in the woods.

07-Aug-17
LKH, is there a reason you want to push up more weight in that situation? The new 60# bows out there now will kill anything in North America with power to spare. I shoot 70 now and I ask myself all the time why I continue to do it when 60 is more than enough.

07-Aug-17
God Bless, all of "us old guys" young one's too :^}

God Bless the "Medical Community" for attempting to keep us going . For the RX's we need, the exams, the consultations / advise we may or may not adhere to :^}

God bless the makers of Tylenol, Ben Gay, Benadryl, Zantac, Aspirin, Aleve, and especially Imodium AD !

Would write more, but at 74, I'm off to practice. (no time to waste)

However before I forget fellow's, let us all be thankful for the desire to keep on going on and

"THANK YOU LORD FOR ONE MORE DAY"

07-Aug-17
Amen to that Buc i

07-Aug-17
I actually shoot the heavier bow better and they are longbows, not compounds so I do get better performance out of the heavier bow. If they were compounds I would be happy with 60.

Also, I have never shot 100 arrows in a day. I'll do 10-15, then later the same. Once you start to tire with trad gear, bad habits take over.

07-Aug-17
That makes sense LKH! Assumed we were targeting wheel bows.

07-Aug-17
Its so nice to hear there are other folks besides me who just have to keep shooting their bows. I am 71 and still shooting just about every day. I have been bowhunting 59 yrs now. I can still handle 60 lb compounds and as mentioned thats fine for anything I might hunt in N.A. I have a new Hoyt Defiant 34 to be delivered any day now and I,m still like a kid at Christmas waiting for it to arrive. Told my wife this is probably my last bow, she just laughed. I have always hunted, never tournament, but I might enter my first tournament this year. As far as challenges go I have both knees replaced, beat Prostate cancer and I am battling Parkinsons Disease, but as long as the meds work I will be shooting. Ron

07-Aug-17

We have all been blessed & from the posts, we have all had an interesting journey through life.. So many times I run into others I know younger or same age & see how they have deteriorated or in poor health & say, thank you Lord.. These 2 little fellas were chilling in my back yard about an hour ago. THEY keep us young..

07-Aug-17
John,

Have you considered using a Primos shooting stick with your x-bow rather than freehanded?

It works like a charm. I've watched my buddies use them. Greatly increases accuracy.

07-Aug-17
LMAO- "Have you tried a mouth tab, John?"

I have no teeth. One of the medicines I had to take, destroyed them about 8-years ago and can't wear false teeth. Buffalo- I have a steady rest on the crossbow. Use it most of the time and it helps some. I do okay, just was a lot better shot with the old stuff.

07-Aug-17
I'll be 65 saturday, and am still welding 10 hour days. But this is my last year...can't wait! The long hours are starting to take a toll.

I'm a stickbow guy also. 65# Black Widow MAII, and 2 Hill style longbows (74 & 86#) hanging on a rack...never to be shot, by me anyway, again. I can't even string those longbows!

But I did get a 52# recurve and 53# RD longbow made by the same bowyer in my home state. Those I can shoot a 60 arrow round with, but usually shoot fewer arrows, a few times a day.

When I can no longer shoot my beloved sticks, I'm done.

• Sitka Gear