sticksender 08-Aug-17
ELKMAN 09-Aug-17
BullBuster 09-Aug-17
Bill Obeid 09-Aug-17
Shot 09-Aug-17
JackPine Acres 09-Aug-17
JackPine Acres 09-Aug-17
08-Aug-17
Hey guys. Been thinking about planning a sheep hunt in the next 2-4 years. Never hunted sheep before, but has been a dream hunt for me. Seems like there a lot of different options out there, which is nice. For you experienced guys, which species of sheep would you recommend to start with? I've done my fair share of high alpine hunts, but nothing like a sheep hunt. Would love to get some opinions on what you guys think I should start with.

Was thinking Dall sheep, since its the cheapest and easy to get a tag with outfitter, but I'm just guessing here and don't know squat.

Guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks, Arbi

08-Aug-17
I'd start with Dalls. Lot of good outfitters to choose from and for the most part, you are going to see sheep. Great species of sheep to "get your feet wet".

However, I went the non traditional route and started with Deserts. :)

08-Aug-17
I agree with Cory particularly if you are going to bowhunt them. They are the cheapest of the four sheep to pursue unless you are sitting on a ton of desert and bighorn points and then you may not live long enough to draw anyway.

08-Aug-17
kota/MT, if money were not an issue, would your answer be the same? Seems a lot people start with Dall sheep, but I'm guessing that is because they are the cheapest. If that aspect was taken out of the equation, do you think you'd answer any differently? One of the reasons I ask is that it seems that some of the Desert outfitters are somewhat accommodating to bringing customers back later in the year if they are unsuccessful. I don't necessarily know if that's a common practice, but it seems much more unlikely to get that option on a Stone or Dall hunt.

08-Aug-17
When I went in my one and only Dall hunt the other bow hunter I met there was on his 4th try with out success and booked again after our hunt was done:) I guess the Dall was pretty expensive for him and I admired that he demanded he get it with a bow. Good luck! C

08-Aug-17
That's an interesting point bigeasygator. If you remove money from the equation, MAYBE Deserts would be the place to start. As you don't hear about too many unsuccessful Desert hunts. That doesn't mean they're "easy", but it seems there's always a way to get it done on a Desert hunt. Dalls are nice because you usually see more of them on a hunt than you will some of the other species of sheep from my experience. And they provide a nicely "rounded" sheep experience in my opinion.

However, being cheaper is such a draw to the Dalls as you can really see if the sheep thing is for you or not without "breaking the bank" completely like a Desert hunt WILL.

08-Aug-17
I started with Stones. Cause the price was rising pretty quickly, and I thought I wouldn't be able to afford them later on. Hell, I couldn't afford them then. I quit hunting elk for 4 years and found an outfitter that let me make payments for 4 years.... and he didn't raise the price on me !

So glad I pulled that off. Even at inflation adjusted prices I couldn't afford to hunt them now.

08-Aug-17
Looking back I'd start hunting above timberline mule deer and spring bear in MT/WY where you have to spot and stalk every year to get HIGHLY proficient while I was putting in for draws and saving for my Dall hunt.

08-Aug-17

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
This is the one I'd start with, he's on level ground ! :-)

08-Aug-17
Lance Kronenberger has good archery success with dall hunts in Alaska. Usually draw areas that you have to apply in December. I shot a really nice one in October hunt with his guides. Really good guides.

08-Aug-17
How much money you got?

08-Aug-17
Probably depends somewhat on whether you plan on doing more sheep hunts, or stopping at one. If only doing one sheep hunt, your personal preference would be the deciding factor. Your ability to pay might also dictate where you start. I started with a bighorn ewe hunt because it was easy to draw, and could be done DIY. Most all sheep hunts are going to be an unforgettable adventure in beautiful country, that will make you want to go back again and again. Good luck!

09-Aug-17
Which ever one you can draw! LMAO! 20 years, 5 states and nada for me...

09-Aug-17
18 years. all states. zilch for sheep

09-Aug-17
Elkman and bullbuster , If you guys are applying that long in Wyoming I would guess you are getting really close. Especially Elkman?

09-Aug-17
Thank guys for the replies. Leaning towards Dall sheep for now. And work my way to Desert. I don't expect to draw all the sheep species, but willing to pay for the tag. Don't want to play the "wait a quarter century" game for the opportunity just for a tag. Life is too short.

BTW, decided to start with Dalls based on some recommendations and the fact that I love the country they live in.

09-Aug-17
I would start with free range Aoudad in SW Texas. An affordable hunt that is very challenging. Not the hunts at a feeder you see on the Outdoor channel. Real spot and stalk hunts.

09-Aug-17

• Sitka Gear