smarba 09-Aug-17
tacklebox 09-Aug-17
Brotsky 09-Aug-17
ScottTigert 09-Aug-17
ScottTigert 09-Aug-17
smarba 10-Aug-17
ohiohunter 13-Aug-17
08-Aug-17
I like the Forge better than the Torch.....and both better than a box cutter. Both the Forge and Torch will accept the 60a blades.

08-Aug-17
Spring for the havalon that turns you on with the 60A blades. Way better than any box cutter.

08-Aug-17
I love a nice knife too but my last elk was cut up entirely with one of those cheap $2 plastic razor knives with the 18mm snap off blades. I think I used two blades. I did end up using a sheath knife to cut off the skull, but otherwise the razor knife performed flawlessly.

09-Aug-17
Have you checked out the Tyto knives? I like the idea of them but am worried about my old hands would cramp up holding onto that skinny of a handle! But it would be a lot easier to clean up than the folding Havalon models!

09-Aug-17
Piranta EDGE takes 60a blades. Even the older models of the EDGE could be modified ever so slightly to take the 60a. Amazing how much more durable that extra 20% thickness is.

09-Aug-17
I have a few Havs, really digging the Titan I got this past year

09-Aug-17
+1 Smarba, I have the edge with 60A blades.

09-Aug-17
Have you tried the Outdoor Edge knife with the replaceable blades? You can easily resharpen the blades (if needed) and are very easy to change out.

09-Aug-17
Also, you can get a box cutter handle with a hooked carpet cutter blade. It cuts hide like you are opening a zipper.

10-Aug-17
Ohio: The only difference between the "original" and the "current/new" EDGE is that the blade slot is ever so slightly wider on the new version. In fact manufacturing tolerances often allowed 1-2 of every 10 or so "original" to fit the 60A. All you need to do is widen the slot a very little bit. It's hard to find a tool to do that as for instance a dremel grinder blade is too wide. Use a combination of thin screwdriver (sometimes just scraping the inside of the slot is enough to make a 60A fit), thin triangle file, etc.

The only other modification you need is that the 60A has a tab on the end of the blade opposite the tip that won't allow you to fold the blade into the handle. It hits a cross bar that connects the two halves of the knife handle. So you need to use a dremel grinder or similar to cut a little groove in that cross member to clear the blade. The "new/current" models have a slot in the cross member all ready.

It goes without saying but be EXTREMELY careful when you're trying to slide a blade to check for fit. Same with just installing blades in general.

13-Aug-17
Ok, so I took my dremel to the havalon. Things were looking good until they weren't, I was cutting a long making what seemed very little progress and boom; too much. Sloppy fit with all blades. Then I got to thinking about the tv show forged in fire, and tossed it into a fire.... well not quite. I took a heavy hammer head and used it as an anvil while I used a regular hammer to tap the male end essentially fattening the parts I just thinned out. It worked, the fit is tight but manageable.

• Sitka Gear