wilbur 15-Aug-17
ohiohunter 15-Aug-17
Vonfoust 15-Aug-17
ohiohunter 15-Aug-17
THP 16-Aug-17
Rickm 16-Aug-17
Rickm 16-Aug-17
13-Aug-17
So my buddy and I are headed back to CO this year for elk. We have found a great wallow off the beaten path and have killed 3 elk there in 2 seasons.

There's a perfect little hole 17 yards from the wallow where we normally hide, and where we've taken our shots. We are talking about setting up a blind there this year. There's plenty of cover to hide it. Wouldn't be hard to brush it in. But we can't set it until we arrive for our 8 day hunt.

Anyone had success with this? We mostly want to do this to help with fickle winds a little. There are straight trees around, so we could always use climbers too. But I think the blind will help more with the wind

What say the elk experts?

13-Aug-17
3 elk in 2 years on 1 wallow. I think you're already doing it right. I wouldn't mess with success.

13-Aug-17
I don't think blinds help with scent much. The blind its self smells and they aren't sealed enough to capture the hunters scent. I've seen elk key in on little twigs I touched or where I stepped. Their nose is amazing. It can certainly help with movement and riding out those 15 minute September showers, but I wouldn't assume I am any better hidden from their nose in a blind.

13-Aug-17
You have found an amazing spot which it seems you have all to your self. I agree 100% wish Aspen Ghost, don't derail a successful strategy.

13-Aug-17

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
They key in on trail cams pretty easily that have been set up for weeks and just touched enough to open and grab a card.

13-Aug-17
Best of luck again this year no matter what you do!!!

What dates? I'd love to meet up for a burger and beer if you have time....I would even consider helping pack out your elk (blindfolded of course). :)

13-Aug-17
Bake - I would use a treestand myself. I think it's more of a risk introducing a ground blind especially if it's a really active wallow. Not saying it's not doable but more of a risk IMO. My .02.

13-Aug-17
Enclosed blinds definitely help with scent containment! A brush in not so much...

13-Aug-17
I spent a lot of time in Ground blinds and they definitely help with scent control and concealment. I have a friend in the Craig area that has killed a bull 12 straight years out of his ground blind. Killed a great 365 bull in Unit 2 about 5 years ago also out of a ground blind. Elk walked in front of I'm so close he had to let it get out a ways before he shot. These bulls were all taken with his Black Widow.

13-Aug-17
I have had success from ground blinds and I do believe they help a little with scent. That said, as someone mentioned they have their own scent and I would be worried about introducing it with no lead time. When I have placed one I have been able to do it at least a week before anyone hunted out of it. With the success you have had I would probably go with what has been working. Good luck either way and if you do put it in please post how it goes.

14-Aug-17
Thanks everyone. I don't know what to do. We'll see.

Jordan . . . We're heading out the 16th. Stay until season closes or we tag out. If we get a chance, I'll shoot you a message

15-Aug-17
No experience sitting for elk but if I had a choice I'd hunt out of a treestand. Better view of incoming animals and less confining. I would think it'd be much more enjoyable.

15-Aug-17
Im with Midwest, I would hunt out of a tree stand. I have had experience in a ground blind for elk and somehow they knew something was wrong. I brushed it in good and was down wind but they still didn't like that big brush pile that wasn't there before. I put the blind in the day before the hunt. I cant say it would have helped to put it in a week before or not but doubt it.

15-Aug-17
I wasnt sitting over a wallow last year, but up in my tree stand when I called in a raghorn to 30yds

He lingered around but never presented a shot as the trees were too thick for a shot.

When I got down I realized that if I was on the ground, I could have easily shot under the the canopy out to 40yds.

So, just because you're up in a tree, doesnt necessarily means you can see/shoot better than on the ground.

It all depends - each spot is different

15-Aug-17
Why would you try to fix a problem that doesn't exist, 2 out of 3 years you score and you want to mess with that. Put a blind up on day one and you'll probably blow your secret spot. What about a ghille suit?

15-Aug-17
Tree stand is the way to go. Scent is off the ground, movement is up otta line of sight. Plus once you get up in a tree stand you tend to stay put for a longer period of time.

Scope it out for a tree stand set up and make ambush.

15-Aug-17
I've put blinds in wide open spaces and the elk still come to water. Blinds are a 1000x easier to stay for extended periods of time vs a tree stand and a tree stand only keeps your scent off the ground when the thermals take it up. They will smell you in a stand where as the last bull I shot from a blind was down wind in a solid 5mph+ wind, the only reason that bull even touched that water with me there was b/c of that blind.

I say erect your blind esp if it gives you piece of mind (it would for me), it will suppress your scent. And unless you keep your blind next to your gas cans in the garage you'll be fine. Pull it out before season let the sun cook it some and hose it down; when you set it spray it down.

15-Aug-17
I would be worried about someone seeing it. Right now if someone stumbles on your spot when you are not there it's just another spot.

15-Aug-17
With water

16-Aug-17
I've been considering buying a ground blind to put on a wallow but figured the first night I leave it in the woods the bears will tear it up so I'll probably just stick to a treestand. Has anyone had trouble with ground blinds and bears?

16-Aug-17

16-Aug-17

• Sitka Gear