cnelk 15-Aug-17
LBshooter 15-Aug-17
wilbur 15-Aug-17
Vonfoust 15-Aug-17
THP 16-Aug-17
Rickm 16-Aug-17
Rickm 16-Aug-17
13-Aug-17
So my buddy and I are headed back to CO this year for elk. We have found a great wallow off the beaten path and have killed 3 elk there in 2 seasons.

There's a perfect little hole 17 yards from the wallow where we normally hide, and where we've taken our shots. We are talking about setting up a blind there this year. There's plenty of cover to hide it. Wouldn't be hard to brush it in. But we can't set it until we arrive for our 8 day hunt.

Anyone had success with this? We mostly want to do this to help with fickle winds a little. There are straight trees around, so we could always use climbers too. But I think the blind will help more with the wind

What say the elk experts?

13-Aug-17
3 elk in 2 years on 1 wallow. I think you're already doing it right. I wouldn't mess with success.

13-Aug-17
I don't think blinds help with scent much. The blind its self smells and they aren't sealed enough to capture the hunters scent. I've seen elk key in on little twigs I touched or where I stepped. Their nose is amazing. It can certainly help with movement and riding out those 15 minute September showers, but I wouldn't assume I am any better hidden from their nose in a blind.

13-Aug-17
You have found an amazing spot which it seems you have all to your self. I agree 100% wish Aspen Ghost, don't derail a successful strategy.

13-Aug-17

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
They key in on trail cams pretty easily that have been set up for weeks and just touched enough to open and grab a card.

13-Aug-17
Best of luck again this year no matter what you do!!!

What dates? I'd love to meet up for a burger and beer if you have time....I would even consider helping pack out your elk (blindfolded of course). :)

13-Aug-17
Bake - I would use a treestand myself. I think it's more of a risk introducing a ground blind especially if it's a really active wallow. Not saying it's not doable but more of a risk IMO. My .02.

13-Aug-17
Enclosed blinds definitely help with scent containment! A brush in not so much...

13-Aug-17
I spent a lot of time in Ground blinds and they definitely help with scent control and concealment. I have a friend in the Craig area that has killed a bull 12 straight years out of his ground blind. Killed a great 365 bull in Unit 2 about 5 years ago also out of a ground blind. Elk walked in front of I'm so close he had to let it get out a ways before he shot. These bulls were all taken with his Black Widow.

13-Aug-17
I have had success from ground blinds and I do believe they help a little with scent. That said, as someone mentioned they have their own scent and I would be worried about introducing it with no lead time. When I have placed one I have been able to do it at least a week before anyone hunted out of it. With the success you have had I would probably go with what has been working. Good luck either way and if you do put it in please post how it goes.

14-Aug-17
Thanks everyone. I don't know what to do. We'll see.

Jordan . . . We're heading out the 16th. Stay until season closes or we tag out. If we get a chance, I'll shoot you a message

15-Aug-17
No experience sitting for elk but if I had a choice I'd hunt out of a treestand. Better view of incoming animals and less confining. I would think it'd be much more enjoyable.

15-Aug-17
Im with Midwest, I would hunt out of a tree stand. I have had experience in a ground blind for elk and somehow they knew something was wrong. I brushed it in good and was down wind but they still didn't like that big brush pile that wasn't there before. I put the blind in the day before the hunt. I cant say it would have helped to put it in a week before or not but doubt it.

15-Aug-17
I wasnt sitting over a wallow last year, but up in my tree stand when I called in a raghorn to 30yds

He lingered around but never presented a shot as the trees were too thick for a shot.

When I got down I realized that if I was on the ground, I could have easily shot under the the canopy out to 40yds.

So, just because you're up in a tree, doesnt necessarily means you can see/shoot better than on the ground.

It all depends - each spot is different

15-Aug-17
Why would you try to fix a problem that doesn't exist, 2 out of 3 years you score and you want to mess with that. Put a blind up on day one and you'll probably blow your secret spot. What about a ghille suit?

15-Aug-17
Tree stand is the way to go. Scent is off the ground, movement is up otta line of sight. Plus once you get up in a tree stand you tend to stay put for a longer period of time.

Scope it out for a tree stand set up and make ambush.

15-Aug-17
I would be worried about someone seeing it. Right now if someone stumbles on your spot when you are not there it's just another spot.

16-Aug-17
I've been considering buying a ground blind to put on a wallow but figured the first night I leave it in the woods the bears will tear it up so I'll probably just stick to a treestand. Has anyone had trouble with ground blinds and bears?

16-Aug-17

16-Aug-17

• Sitka Gear