Lark Bunting 15-Aug-17
Lark Bunting 15-Aug-17
hunt'n addict 15-Aug-17
15-Aug-17

Lark Bunting's embedded Photo
I know that in Colorado we are now allowed to have bow mounted electronic recording devices on our bows as long as they don't transmit light, help with range, etc. I bought an "action camera" for my son for Christmas last year and he never uses it...so I took it back. He wasn't thrilled it wasn't an official Go Pro and hates that I refer to it as the faux-pro. Either way, I'm looking at a couple different options, bow mount or head mount. I modified an old headlamp to use as my head mount but I'm not liking the angle of the camera to capture my shot.

If you do any self recording of your hunts what do you use and what do you like about it? What does your setup include/consist of?

I tried the head mount yesterday while target shooting in the basement but apparently my head is slightly turned when I shoot and I never caught any shots with it sitting straight on my head. I had to guess at an angle to turn it.

15-Aug-17
I'm with Pat. Watch some youtube action camera hunts and see how much you enjoy the footage before you go through the major hassle of trying to capture it.

15-Aug-17
Awesome feedback! My initial trial run in the basement really sucked and I deleted the videos immediately. I really don't like the bow mount on there as it's just more stuff to get stuck on limbs. I won't completely rule any of it out yet but I have a feeling I'll be leaving it in the pack.

One nice thing about the camera I got for the boy is that it has a wrist watch remote with on/off, video and still camera photo options. It is very convenient to use.

15-Aug-17

Lark Bunting's Link
This kid speaks the truth. Well put.

15-Aug-17
I agree with Pat and others. I will not watch videos filmed with GoPros, Solvid, etc. There is to much movement and it is almost impossible to see what the person is trying capture. Some of the videos are so bad I almost get sick trying to watch them. When I see them now I close out of it, or walk away when my buddy attempts to show me a deer that he passed up.

I have seen where people are using the GoPros on a fixed stationary object pointing at the shooter, or a decoy (turkey decoy) and they capture some neat additional footage from a different camera angle. That I can tolerate.

• Sitka Gear