Scrappy 17-Aug-17
t-roy 17-Aug-17
Scrappy 17-Aug-17
happygolucky 17-Aug-17
swampokie 17-Aug-17
Catscratch 17-Aug-17
Deerplotter 17-Aug-17
16-Aug-17
Those who plant it which one do they prefer?

16-Aug-17
I can tell you what the deer prefer, rye.

16-Aug-17
I dont know about deer. but i had the great idea to plant to half of a field to rye and the other wheat for cattle grazing. the wheat was the farthest away from the water tank. and the cattle wouldnt even hardly put their head to eat till they got to the wheat. so i only plant rye now cause i get a lot more growth and can stock it heavier.

16-Aug-17
The only way I've ever planted both was half and half in the same plot, so all I can say is they ate it all and I couldn't tell which they preferred. I just poured it in the hopper, mixed it, and broadcast it. Over on Deer Hunters Forum, it seems like lots of guys prefer rye. Wheat has always worked for me though.

16-Aug-17
Triticale. It's a cross between wheat and rye. Personally, I think they like oats the best, however, oats aren't nearly as winter hardy where I live and can freeze out if it gets too cold.

16-Aug-17
We have lots of wheat here in the winter.

17-Aug-17
Winter rye by far.

17-Aug-17
WHITE OR RYE????

Can anyone guess what I'm referring too?

Another hint, APPLE PIE AND COFFEE!!!

17-Aug-17
Pumpernickel?

17-Aug-17
Nope a Jerry Clower joke about a relative from the old country that couldn't speak English. You want WHITE OR RYE???

17-Aug-17

happygolucky's Link
This is a good link on this topic IMO.

17-Aug-17
Rye. Just broadcast it. Make sure u do t plant too early

17-Aug-17
Planted them side by side several times and in many different plots. Observations and trail cams always have them in the wheat the most. I can't even get a deer to eat a turnip though so take it with a grain of salt. Every place is different.

17-Aug-17
Winter Rye is hardy for cooler weather and has a root system that helps pull nitrogen from deeper in your soil. Inexpensive for the guys on a budget. A bushel (54# bag)will do an acre. Winter Rye can also be a food source for the following spring. Then later till it under before it seeds out and aids in adding soil compose. Plant two acres here deer favorite late October.

• Sitka Gear