drycreek 18-Aug-17
Aluminum Rain 20-Aug-17
greg simon 20-Aug-17
DartonJager 20-Aug-17
rooster 22-Aug-17
Aluminum Rain 22-Aug-17
Kodiak 22-Aug-17
18-Aug-17
I stumbled on to a incredible deal on 15' Ameristep 2-man ladder stands and would like to add a 2' homemade extension. I have access to square tubular steel the walls of which are a 1/4" thick so strength is not an issue. I plan on welding any extension I make together so structural strength of the extension will not be in question. The OD of the stand steel is 1" exactly and the ID of the tube steel I can get is 1-1/16" so they should mate with little slop. My question is has anyone done this and encountered and problems? Thanks, DJager/Art.

18-Aug-17
I added a 4 foot extension similar to what you have described.

18-Aug-17
I've done it on tripods with no problems at all.

20-Aug-17
Buy an extra stand that is cheap and of the same ladder size and split it up to add one section to each of three of your ladders. I buy 4 to make 3 whenever I need new ladders.

20-Aug-17
Done it plenty. No problems. Of course that depends on your welding skills. ;)

20-Aug-17
Thanks for the replies, good idea buying and extra stand.

22-Aug-17
Yeah, I've done it as well. With your heavier wall extensions you're more than good to go. I would be a little cautious about adding sections as suggested above. There is a reason why the stands only have three sections to begin with. They are built cheaply and engineered using the cheapest/lightest gauge materials to do so. I'm sure they have a decent safety factor but adding an extra section from another ladder MAY weaken it.

22-Aug-17
You need to add a 2nd extension bar to the tree to make it safe. I make my own extension bars and sometimes use 3. I wrap ratchet straps back to the ladder at every extension bar location to keep them secure.

22-Aug-17
I just bought another ladder stand today...gonna raise 3 other stands with it.

$40 bucks at a Fleet Farm...can't beat that.

• Sitka Gear