Drop Tine's embedded Photo
First visitor to the waterhole.
First visitor to the waterhole.
Tuesday I had the day off so after doing a little reading on the subject I made a run into town to get some supplies to put in a man made waterhole.

It was a little more work than I anticipated because of tree roots but with a little sweat and blood I got it in and in place.

Anyone else do this? Please share your visitor photos or successes with them.

19-Aug-17

sdbowhunter's embedded Photo
I have an actually water hole dug out. They visit way more than you would think and others also

19-Aug-17

19-Aug-17
That was about 50% of our hunting strategy growing up in West Texas, but it was hot and dry there, looks from most of the pictures, night time is when they water. Make sure you put a permanent way for smaller critters to get out if they fall in!

19-Aug-17
Water is not a huge priority except in arid regions and during times of extreme drought in other areas. However, deer-all ages and sexes-love to play and stomp around in mudholes. I have hung stands on several occasions on small or shallow, natural mudholes and done quite well. Here, in my immediate area, surface water for drinking is everywhere and the dew does not dry off until well into the afternoon. Hunting water as a drinking source is a waste of time. But-combine salt and a water supply, such as a block or coarse granular with a mudhole and you could have a real attractant.

19-Aug-17
My friend used a bobcat and put in 6 water holes on his properties. Man o man what a difference. The deer are at least cruzing by if not actually watering. Very social animals and the water hole is kind of like a bar. A place to see and be seen especially in the rut. C

19-Aug-17
During the drought in KS a buddy and his kids put plastic, above ground water tanks by all of their feeders, and refilled them twice a week. The first night a buck that later grossed 186 can and got a couple of drinks. Sure worked that year, but that was an extremely hot and dry year.

19-Aug-17
I'm like Bowriter-water is in many places in my area..

19-Aug-17
I have natural water also, but just to hedge my bet, I also dug a couple with a trackhoe so that I know there is plenty. My creek dries up in holes in the summer sometimes.

19-Aug-17
This must really be a regional thing. water holes on our land in West Central WI are a huge draw. Same with many other people I know throughout the state and MN. None of these areas are even close to arid. It may be like Charlie said and be more of a social thing.

19-Aug-17
Sodium bentonite seems to be the trick to keep water in larger water holes.

• Sitka Gear