elk yinzer 21-Aug-17
Timbrhuntr 21-Aug-17
Overland 21-Aug-17
climb.on 22-Aug-17
elk yinzer 22-Aug-17
PAOH 22-Aug-17
PAOH 07-Sep-17
21-Aug-17
Just purchased a rock climbing harness for this upcoming whitetail season. Now I am looking to make my own tree strap but I am having trouble finding a dry core dynamic rope sold by the foot. I only need 10'. Any suggestions on where to buy? Thank you

21-Aug-17
I just talked to both places , they told me that they didn't sell it by the foot?

21-Aug-17
I reread your link, that is a static rope, no give if you should fall.

21-Aug-17

ben h's Link
Here's a link for dynamic rope sold by the foot (never used this place, I just googled it). I doubt for the types of falls, you'd expect from a treestand if you use a prussic knot or an ascender would be more than a few feet and static or dynamic wouldn't make a whole lot of difference. a big fall on static would break you in half though.

21-Aug-17
Ben, is the prussic necessary? I was planning on choking the tree then tying the lead end to my rch with a bowline. Will this work?

21-Aug-17
Wesspur sells 11mm samson predator by the foot. Not sure how its stretch properties conpared to rc rope but you have to consider fall distance. Great for 7mm prusiks and camo too.

21-Aug-17
You'll be much happier using the rope simply as a safety line and then hooking on to that with a short piece of smaller diameter rope with a prusik knot and attach that to your harness. This allows you to slide the prusik knot as needed and you can keep it fairly tight, so the biggest fall you can really take is probably 2'; you can easily slide it for standing or sitting. A rock climbing "big wall ascender" is the modern version of the prusik knot and works WAY better, but they're about $50 if memory serves me correct; a prusik you could probably make for $5.

I wouldn't do what you're suggesting, but if you do, definitely get the dynamic rope because your fall would be whatever slack you have in the line and could potentially be more than just a couple feet, but it would keep you off the ground.

21-Aug-17
Check EBay for climbing rope, they sell short lengths.

21-Aug-17
I am not a rock climber so I have to ask. Is a rock climbing harness as safe in a tree stand fall as a tree stand harness?

21-Aug-17
Also you are probably going to want a little more than 10 feet for the tether. Big trees can easily be 6 ft diameter and you would be surprised how much rope the knots suck up. I would estimate a double 8 eats up 2 feet of rope. I would say at least 12 but I can measure mine later this week.

21-Aug-17
I can't imagine why anyone would want to use dynamic rope in a tree stand setup.the whole idea is to keep you from a fall if you want it to protect you from a fall by slowing you in the event you fall you are doing it all wrong.

21-Aug-17
I am a fairly serious rock climber. I've climbed all over the world, have climbed El Capitan, do a fair bit of mountaineering and ice climbing, and know climbing gear very well. You do not need a dry core dynamic rope for your safety line. "Dry" ropes are primarily used for ice climbing and mountaineering. They help reduce icing of the rope, which does work - to a point.

Your best bet for a treestand tether is to keep a snug tether. If you load a fairly short section of rope, even dynamic rope, you will very much feel it. Shorter falls can be more serious than long falls in climbing (within reason). For example, a 20ft fall has a good bit of rope out, thus allowing the dynamic property to come more into play. A 5ft "hard catch" is not something one ever wants. If you absolutely must have a few feet of slack in your system, consider using a screamer. These are primarily manufactured by Yates (look for Yates scream aid) and will decrease shock loading of your system.

If you absolutely must have a short section of dry dynamic rope, the For Sale forum on mountainproject.com will get you what you need within the first hour or so of posting.

22-Aug-17
Overland is 100% correct here.

22-Aug-17
Thanks for that info overland! I've been searching for a way to incorporate stitched webbing into my system and didn't know what it was called. I've tested fall distances around 4 feet, and while not pelvis shattering it certainly doesn't feel pleasant.

22-Aug-17
Thanks for all of the input!

07-Sep-17
Thanks for all of the input!

• Sitka Gear