SteveB 28-Aug-17
wild1 28-Aug-17
Fuzzy 28-Aug-17
PECO 28-Aug-17
LBshooter 30-Aug-17
23-Aug-17

PECO's embedded Photo
PECO's embedded Photo
Colorado bear. How big is he? Shooter? This would be my first bear. I will be hunting this area so hopefully there is a tag left. It is an OTC w/ caps.

23-Aug-17
For me

23-Aug-17
Never saw one in the wild while hunting but he would be toast (I hope) if I were.

23-Aug-17
For some, not for others. Only you can answer that question.

23-Aug-17
First bear? Heck ya!! My first one was 150 pounds. Yours is twice that. Good luck.

23-Aug-17
Yep

23-Aug-17
I don't think you'd be disappointed.

23-Aug-17
Head looks long compared to the width. A big bear will have what appears to be a "short" snout. I would pass.

23-Aug-17
If it were me, yes. Nice bear.

23-Aug-17
While it's almost impossible to judge a bear closely without something to compare it to,you can get an idea weather or not its mature from its build.

The bear in your pic appears on the young side.

As for being a shooter or not if you never killed a bear and if you would be happy with one under a couple hundred pounds but still in the average size taken in North America each year ... let it rip... good luck

23-Aug-17
That looks like a good bear. Not 300lbs, but would be an excellent trophy.

24-Aug-17
You ask if the bear is a shooter, yet say nothing about what the qualifications of a "shooter" are to you. So is it a "shooter?" Who knows. Personally, considering you've never shot a bear, if I was to apply my own qualifications to a brand new species I would say the fact that it's got a beating heart makes it a shooter. Enjoy yourself. If it gets you excited, trip the trigger.

If only an old mature bear will do, I don't think this is that bear.

24-Aug-17
Here is the thing, I don't want to shoot a cub. I want a respectable hide to hand on the wall, and some bear chile. I do not care about record books. I think this is a respectable bear for Colorado, just looking for confirmation. I believe I got it. And I just wanted to share a cool picture!

24-Aug-17
I should not have said "shooter" that is one of those horrible TV terms.

27-Aug-17
Give it to him, a bear steak in the pan is better than one in the bush. Good luck

27-Aug-17
1-2 year old. "Cub"

28-Aug-17
Looks like a 3 year old to me

28-Aug-17
Good luck !

28-Aug-17
Not a big bear but probably bigger than my first, Big ears and a pointy face are quick indicators of a smaller bear. Since we can't bait, being choosy with a bear tag in CO is a little different than if you are hunting in Alberta with several active sites.

28-Aug-17
I agree with 3 year old, but who really knows. My first bear was a dry old sow that wasn't much bigger than that one. I was very proud of it. First bear? Not a doubt.

28-Aug-17
Size is ok, but you might want to take a closer look at the hide (if you're planning for a rug). That might be a large rub on the back, above the shoulder (hard to tell).

28-Aug-17
looks tasty, so yes.

28-Aug-17
Wild1, I was hoping it was just the lighting in the photo but I think you are correct about the spot on the shoulder.

30-Aug-17
If the top of his shoulder wasn't bare I would take it. For me it's all about the coat, if it's nice and full I'd take it. When it comes down to it, it's your hunt and your trophy.

• Sitka Gear