fubar racin 27-Aug-17
SteveB 28-Aug-17
BowhuntBill 28-Aug-17
Tuck56 28-Aug-17
Thunderflight 29-Aug-17
SoDakSooner 30-Aug-17
elkmtngear 30-Aug-17
24-Aug-17
I've been hunting for a few years now and still haven't been able to take an elk. Anyone else still after their first?

24-Aug-17
one of these days we'll connect....

24-Aug-17
Yep. Only been once in 2016 but already planning 2018.

24-Aug-17
I am hoping to kill my first elk......I've been after dozens........

24-Aug-17
My 4th elk hunt. Had 3 tags when I lived in Az. Hoping it all comes together.

24-Aug-17
Yep. This will be my 4th elk hunt later this season. I pulled a buck tag for archery season.

24-Aug-17
My 4th elk hunt. Had 3 tags when I lived in Az. Hoping it all comes together.

24-Aug-17
and like clockwork, just as I start putting the finishing touches on my pack list, I get a call from the boss asking if I can travel for the hurricane. So far I'm still hunting but if it hits the fan, this will be the second consecutive year I get called out for disaster during archery.

24-Aug-17
2nd try for me and two buddies!

24-Aug-17
I have had 4 AZ elk tags and not filled one yet. I have had everything from immediate family death during elk season to becoming disabled just before the opener last year. I pulled back on a bull ,my arm collapsed, got a bow in the face and the arrow ended up the hill 20 yds behind me. I pretty much called it a hunt after that.

I am shooting the first branch antlered bull I get in range this year.

24-Aug-17
It's my second attempt. I'll get one this year. I will take bull or cow, just not a calf. I will be happy with anything. Leaving PA on September 9 for 3 weeks in Wyoming.

24-Aug-17
mr. yooper it is not looking good for you at all right now as Harvey is intensifying and it does not have a real driving force or direction. weather guys are thinking it will just mill around and pound the folks on the coast near Corpus.

24-Aug-17
Year 2 for me. Thankful to be able to go! Shooting an elk will be icing on the already sweet cake.

24-Aug-17
Creed, what unit are you hunting?

24-Aug-17
Unit 8

24-Aug-17
easeup no doubt about it. Gonna make for a long couple of months. Just hope everybody down there is safe!

25-Aug-17
I've been out west for mule deer and antelope but this will be my first elk hunt...finally. Been building points for years. I've been following everyone's elk threads and bugging guys for advice for a long time. Really looking forward to this hunt. Big thanks to Jaquomo, BULELK1, Charlie, BB and all you other guys for the advice and encouragement over the years. Hope to post pics soon.

25-Aug-17
This weekend, Im going after my first elk .... of the year :)

25-Aug-17
0 for 3 here. Headed to the breaks in a couple weeks. Have been full draw twice with no shots.

25-Aug-17
Struck out my first go, but I did not really know what I was doing. Headed back armed with better intel, experience and a resolved desire to get it done.

25-Aug-17
Well, good luck to all those going after their first elk ever.......and to cnelk for the first elk of the season. ;)

I look forward to seeing everyone posting up their adventures. Mine begins with mule deer this weekend then onto elk the weekend after.

25-Aug-17
Good luck to all of you! Hopefully this is your year! You will get out of your hunt what you are willing to put into it! (grin) Stay safe!

ElkNut/Paul

25-Aug-17
This is year 5. No Joy yet...well lots of joy, just no meat...lol. They way I figure it most units we hunt have about a 10% success rate, so I am still ahead of the curve. :) Have had the bow drawn 3 times on bulls, but the shot has yet to materialize. As much as we are in elk, you'd think one of us would shoot something.

Good luck this year all.

25-Aug-17
Hoping 6th hunt will be the one. New Mexico bound on 9/14

25-Aug-17
One cow in 11 years. Took 5 years for that one, but we only cow hunt in the 2nd week. Hope celebratory JD reserved for branched antlers doesn’t go bad.

25-Aug-17
dgildy....... calves are great eatin'..... and far easier to pack...... if you start to hear the Fat Lady go into her last lyrics and bring up the volume..... never look a gift elk in the mouth.....

26-Aug-17
I too have had multiple misfortune, from physical disability, to my wife repeatedly saying 'too small, don't shoot', to just plain bad luck! Have had some good tags, including AZ unit 1 and Wyo unit 100. Headed Northern Wyo without wife, better health and a positive attitude!

26-Aug-17
TD, yeah, never say never. The last couple of days I probably will be willing to take a calf. But I would not hesitate to take spike, raghorn, or cow on day 1. I passed up a spike on the first day back in 2014 and have kicked myself ever since.

Dave

27-Aug-17
This will be my 6th year going all consecutive as well, I started in 2012 and I'm still looking for my first elk. Hopefully this year!

27-Aug-17
Took me 14 years to kill my first but iv killed 1 or 2 every year since, i guess im a slower learner than most!

28-Aug-17
My second year bow hunting I shot my first elk, a spike in NM unit 16D on the last day after missing a couple of dandies. I was thrilled. My guide, not so much. My next branch antlered bull took 15 trips without a shot.

28-Aug-17
First ever hunt. Pulled a tag to New Mexico 16D! Very excited and getting amped up.

28-Aug-17
I'm headed to CO on the 16th of next month. Going for the first time. Back country solo for a week or more. I'm open to another hunter joining me if you are looking for a hunt partner.

29-Aug-17
This year will be my 5th attempt. September 15th will be my 3rd trip to Idaho and I'm going into this with a totally different attitude. During previous hunts I had hyped myself up to the point that all I cared about was shooting an elk.

Last year in CO I left my recurve at home and used a compound bow. I plan on doing the same thing this year in ID. That said, this year I have low expectations of filling a tag and honestly only care about being in elk country and hunting with good friends.

30-Aug-17
Yep, if it was all about the kill, we wouldn't be very happy folks....

Good luck everyone and have fun. Leaving 2 weeks from tomorrow.

30-Aug-17
Going after my first... IDAHO elk ;^)

• Sitka Gear