BC 26-Aug-17
Shawn 26-Aug-17
Genesis 26-Aug-17
EJG 26-Aug-17
Genesis 26-Aug-17
bb 26-Aug-17
bud 27-Aug-17
25-Aug-17
I've been hunting for years carrying my whole setup in and out every single time. I use the LW alpha and 3 LW sticks. To me, what is more important than 2 lbs on the stand is having a pack that carries the stand and sticks quietly and comfortably. With my Kuiu Icon Pro I an strap and unstrap the pack in about 25 seconds or less, and it is 100% quiet in transport. My Eberlestock J103 was good as well, but the Kuiu is way better. Having the right pack and carrying it the right way melts the pounds away.

I recently purchased an XOP and while you say "quiet hang on" I imagine this is a marketing ploy. The XOP is essentially the same as LW EXCEPT they do not have the easy hang method where you can strap a hook on the tree and then hang the LW stand on it. The XOP is basically a LW stand that you are forced to hang using the 2 versa buttons. Or at least mine are anyways. The Lone wolf can be just as quiet, but I don't find the hook noisy at all, and I really like hanging the stand from the hook.

As I say, I think you're already onto a great system. Maybe upgrade the stand to a larger one that is more confortable, and make sure you have a great pack that makes packing them a breeze. I pretty much feel like I am walking around with a day pack in my Kuiu. A very comfortable carry.

Thanks, Adam

25-Aug-17
Find a used Windwalker, by the Loc On company. They were the lightest thing going and would meet your requirements. I borrow a buddy's down in AZ once in a while and it is a joy to pack at 6 or 7#s total weight, and has functional seat. Due to the age, the fabric seat might have to be redone on one. Good luck!

25-Aug-17
I also use a lone wolf alpha with line wolf climbing sticks. I like to get higher though do I use 4 sticks. Love how the modular system all straps together tightly.

I also use a KUIU icon pack. Usually I am using the 1850 bag on it so the load lifters stick above the pack. I tie a piece of paracord across the stand platform. Then with three pack on you can slip the stand over the loaf lifters and hang on the paracord. With the paracord short enough and the weight pic the stand and sticks it doesn't move around, unless you are doing some serious twisting through stuff on your hiking. Very easy on and off.

25-Aug-17
I have a couple of the Millenium M100U stands (all aluminum). They are fairly light at 11.5 lbs and easy to hang with the "cam lock" bracket systems, but what I like the most, is that they are comfortable enough for long sits with a full seat and back rest and a large platform relative to the weight.

25-Aug-17
I only hang and Hunt as well, I use the Lone Wolf assault hang on and sticks. I'm thinking about getting an xop because it has a slightly larger seat. I would never give up my batwing bracket for the use of the hook to hang my stand. You simply give up to many options to hang in crooked trees. I do agree a comfortable pack makes all the difference in the world.

I bought the millennium m7 last year, got it home put it together and hung it in the yard. Climbed on it, got back down and returned it. It might be a nice stand but the lone wolf is all I have hunted out of for the past several years. The millennium definitely ain't no lone wolf as far as quality goes.

25-Aug-17
There's a fella, Dan, in Wisconsin... some may know as he runs another hunting forum. On his forum he has proclaimed that he is designing the ultimate hang on stand and sticks with details to come soon. I know he has some association with the original founder of LW and XOP. I know the original LW assualt was just about perfection. Going deep into speculation land, there were a few things I would address to make it even more compact and nestable with a set of sticks truly designed to be one integral setup that wouldn't require any "mods". This setup will not be cheap but I am waiting until it comes out to upgrade my POS mobile hangon setup (I currently have a "comfort zone" and 3 muddy sticks + aiders weighing in at about 30 lbs. Not advertising or anything just putting the info out there that it may be worth a year or two wait.

The treestand market is so strange in that it has actually regressed in my opinion since the late 90's. My best guess is lawyers have a lot to do with that followed by hunters not really knowing what they are doing and relatively few mobile guys out there. I have the idea for the perfect climber and have no desire to produce it so anyone who wants to grab that idea feel free to contact me for the price of a prototype.

25-Aug-17
Hang and hunt also. To me, it's got to be LW. To me the weight is important, but so is being quiet. That LW never makes a sound, even in single digits, when other stands creak, squeek, and make noise.

25-Aug-17
I have tried just about every setup to be light and mobile, including using the Loc On Windwalker and Limit. In the end, I always end up going back to my LW climber. It folds flat, easy to transport, is quieter setting up, far more comfortable than most hang ons, and I never have to worry about it making creaking sounds when I shift my weight. If I was hunting all public, I would be looking at the best and lightest climbers because I don't think a light loc on setup exists that's better. My .002

25-Aug-17
HerdManager I agree. Never had a stand as quiet.

Scrappy I know they say not to do it, but I've used teh batwing bracket as well as the hook at the same time. I find even without the batwing bracket I can still angle the stand quite a bit and it sticks.

When I use my Kuiu Icon pro, I simply put the stand inside the "load hauler mode" and then strap my 3 sticks together on the outside lashing them with the straps that keep the pack in tight. This way you don't have such a bulky item in the load hauler area. It carries much nicer that way I find. It does what the Sitka Tool Bucket attempted to do in putting a stand inside the pack.

25-Aug-17
Kurt nailed it....the Windwalker came in 2 sizes the smaller size is 6lbs...it has a 14 1/2" wide platform and it slips into a standard pack....You couldn`t give me a $1000 for mine. It`s the ULTIMATE "renegade" stand.

25-Aug-17
Chippewa Wedge-Loc, I have owned most of the hang ons out there one time or another and I would choose the Chippewa over any of them. They make one they call the ghost and it is small, I mean real small and super light. I use the next size up called the super ghost. I believe it is 7lbs. I carry 3 LW sticks and a few screw in steps and I can get up to 20ft with my set up. I just bought a set of the Chippewa hang on steps as well and they are super light as well. I have yet to use them so cannot comment on the ease of use but should be as simple as the LW sticks or simpler. Check them out as they have a pretty good web site. If ya buy one PM me and I will show ya how to make the brackets for about 10 bucks a piece. Shawn

25-Aug-17
I use a LW Alpha and 4 LW sticks. It's not that light, 24 pounds total. Every year 24 pounds weighs more. It's fine for my MN hunting, but when I head to IA and climb those hills, it's tough. I think the best would be a LW Hand Climber if you have the trees for it. I'm leaning that way.

26-Aug-17
I'll second the Chippewa Ghost. I use four LW sticks with mine. I also got an extra LW strap and modified the Chippewa bracket to replace the chain. Cuts down on weight and less noisy than the chain.

26-Aug-17
Where do you see 15#s. Most of their stands are under 10lbs. The climbings sticks the same. I use 3 LW sticks and the Super ghost and it all weighs under 20 lbs easily. The big issue with a climber is you are limited on the trees you can set up in. Also they limit the amount of cover you have and they are not as quiet as setting up with sticks and a stand. Shawn

26-Aug-17
The BEST was a Buckfinder SUNDOWNER if you can still find one.Ive stuck it my carry on for MX Coues before.Will fit ANY tree and level.Light as a feather . There is a new company out now that has copied the the Buckfinder design but I don't recall .

26-Aug-17
Genesis

Never heard of the buckfinder but after a couple searches I think the new stand company is Twsted Timber. They look nice, I might spring for one next year

26-Aug-17
Yep that's it.They will be a little spongy on a very twisted tree but nothing that makes you feel insecure

26-Aug-17
I have an old Loc On Windwalker, it weighs 5 lbs, I can fit it in my pack it has a seat.

27-Aug-17
Killed lot out of loc on windwalker. When the seat material rots tie nylon string on to replace. Makes even lighter. Not the most comfortable but best I ever used for hard pressured public. Has low profile for deer to look up and see. Used screw in steps and carried stand in and out every hunt. Always wanted to try the tree saddle but never have.

• Sitka Gear