walks with a gimp 27-Aug-17
drycreek 27-Aug-17
Mad_Angler 27-Aug-17
27-Aug-17

walks with a gimp's embedded Photo
I have been thinking about this stand for years and I finally got around to building it for this year's deer hunting season. I've been making portable stands since '73 when I first started deer hunting with a bow and this one will work in ANY tree or even without a tree while using 2 guy wires. It is a two legged stand that doesn't require a brace to the tree for support. The steps are on one leg and will fold together for transportation. I wanted to swage the square tubing into 5 foot sections but I didn't have the time this year to make the die to do the swaging process, maybe next year but this one is full length and will probably spend it's life no more that 500 yards from home. It is 16'3" tall at the platform and the seat swivels 360 degrees. weight is about 80 pounds due to not being able to find smaller than 14 gauge 1 1/2" square tubing locally. Still, it's the same height and my store bought tripod stand that weighs around 140 pounds. If I could get it down around 60 pounds and in a 5 or 6 foot package it would be a great all around stand for me. It will work with any tree that is strong enough to horizontally stabilize the platform, maybe 3 inches at the top so it will work just about anywhere.

27-Aug-17
That's innovative for sure, just make sure that it doesn't make your Bowsite "handle" a reality !

27-Aug-17
It actually is a reality. I tipped over my tractor in '96 and smashed up my ankle pretty good.

27-Aug-17
Well, I hate to hear that. Mine is natural. Old age !

27-Aug-17
Looks very interesting. Can you show it from different angles? I'm having a hard time seeing how it works

27-Aug-17

Only pictures I have of it right now but will post more in a few weeks when I get it out in the woods. Basically there are steps on the left leg in the picture that you climb up to the platform on which is 24" square with a seat that swivels

27-Aug-17
I've been frustrated for years when setting up ladder stands in that some trees are not straight enough to use the supplied metal brace to secure the ladder from bowing when you climb. I usually cut a small sapling with a fork and brace the ladder with that from the ground. It works but it's extra work to find the right sapling and cut it down. With this stand there is no brace to the tree needed and it is possible to have the platform on one side of the tree and the "feet" of the legs on the other side of the tree. I'm not really sure the braces between the legs are even necessary as it's built a little on the stout side. The "A" frame or bipod design will hold a lot of weight and just needs to be secured upright by cables or just a small tree.

• Sitka Gear