Brotsky 28-Aug-17
goelk 28-Aug-17
Matt 28-Aug-17
SixLomaz 28-Aug-17
SixLomaz 28-Aug-17
wild1 28-Aug-17
Medicinemann 28-Aug-17
27-Aug-17
Thinking of getting one for my birthday. How many blades do you use on a gutless method at one time on elk.

27-Aug-17
I've done it with one. But I'd guess I usually go through 3. I carry six.

27-Aug-17
did my first one with 1. It was dull at the end and should have swapped it out to make life easier. Last took 3. I snapped one and then swapped out another toward the end. Did a deer in 1 with zero issues.

27-Aug-17
2 are plenty if you don't get to western with it.

27-Aug-17
Seems like a expensive way to cut things up, not to mention the safety issue with replacing and removing blades. My cold steel knives can cut up multiple animals before it even needs a touch up. What do the replacement blades run?

27-Aug-17
It cost 10bucks for a dozen blades they are the sharpest on the market

27-Aug-17
How much do your cold steel knives cost? How much does a sharpener cost? My havalon set me black 40 bucks and came with 24 blades. And it weighs a few ounces. You can find a dozen blades for 6 bucks if you look around

27-Aug-17
They are nothing more than a scalpel handle with a #70 blade on it. You can get from any Taxidermy website or catalog. We use so many of these as they are considered "one and done" blades. Use it for surgical applications...otherwise we use knives.

27-Aug-17
I know lots of people swear by them, but I'll never use one on an elk again. First one I tried it on, the blade snapped 30 seconds into the process. I use it on fish and grouse, but when it comes to elk...no thanks.

27-Aug-17
Well I have two master hunters and a ultimate Hunter folder. Got on master Hunter for 25 bucks, the other carbon V I paid 75 and the folder cost me two dozen aluminium arrows. I just can't see zipping through the chest cavity with a havolon. I gues weight is an issue if your packing in the backcountry but I would be alittle Leary of trying to switch out blades with bloody hands etc... I did see their new Titan knife with a standard blade and scapula, looks nice,just haven't seen it in person.

28-Aug-17
Thanks guys for your input

28-Aug-17
A friend of mine picked up the Outdoor Edge and we haven't used it on any animals yet, but in looking at it, the blades are much more robust and far easier to change. The Havlons now come with a little tool to make changing blades easier (I bet this was in response to the Edge). Last year we did a buffalo primarily with the Havlon's and it probably took 10 blades. We used buck knives to do anything that required prying of any kind. I don't think we broke any blades on the buffalo, just changed them as they became dull.

28-Aug-17
I've never had an issue changing blades. If you're snapping blades, you're not cutting right. I use a Havalon so that I don't have to pry.

28-Aug-17
"If you're snapping blades, you're not cutting right."

So now there's a wrong way to use a knife? Sorry, but if it's warm, flies and yellow jackets are swarming, and I have an 800lb animal down in some nasty hole, finesse ain't part of my repertoire. Like I said, I know many swear by them, but for elk, I prefer a stout fixed blade.

28-Aug-17
This is the story of two best friends that went elk hunting in early season. They conquered the butchering task in no time despite the warm weather and swarms of insects flying around. Their names are Havalon and Thermacell. The end.

28-Aug-17
Good one SixLomaz! Although for the record I've never used a Thermocell.

I've butchered dozens and dozens of animals from javelina to big bull elk and Havalon (agree 60a blades way better) make short work of the job. Smaller animals 1-2 blades, big bull elk 1-4 blades all depending on variety of factors. At 30-cents per blade it's cheap. I don't need to argue that you have to use a Havalon. Haul a big chunk of steel and a sharpening stone into the woods I could care less.

But for me it's the absolute perfect knife for all my butchering needs.

One more thing you do not need a pliar tool to remove the blade safely. Havalon makes a light plastic removal tool and before that came out I would simply step on the blade to pinch it against a log, flex the blade tab and pull the handle off (i.e. your boot tread & the log act as a pliar). Easier to do than explain and 100% safe: never an issue. To reload a blade if the handle is gunked up just use same log to gently push the tip of the knife against rather than try with slippery fingers. Again easier to do than explain.

Carl

28-Aug-17
I hear you wyo, but if you're not using a Havalon I hope your other knife is sharp, and if you're rushing that much with a sharp knife that's a safety concern. Takes me about 30-45 min to break down an elk alone with a Havalon, and I don't shoot elk every year. I fail to see what is gained by rushing.

But to each their own, I don't care if you don't want to do it the way I do, I'm not saying it's the best.

On another note does a thermacell work for wasps?

28-Aug-17
"If you're snapping blades, you're not cutting right."

Yep...

28-Aug-17
Dang, you guys sound like those mech BH advocates! lol!

Again, if Havalon's do the trick for you, then by all means use them. For elk, I'm not a fan. I use a Cabela's Alaskan Guide knife. I used it on 2 elk and a moose before it needed resharpening. It's now done 2 more elk this go-round and will make it through this season just fine. When it does need to be resharpened, I send it to Buck and they do it for free and send it back. As far as the safety aspect, doing the job without having to worry about my blade snapping and being safe is not mutually exclusive. I've processed well over 100 big game animals without so much as a nick, although now I've probably jinxed myself!

As far as the thermacell for yellow jackets? Don't know, but I'm considering packing a sawed off shotgun this year! ;-)

28-Aug-17
+1 for the 60A blades, you do not want 60XT.

28-Aug-17
The blades are 60A and I will tried it out along with my other other knive. Good luck guys.

28-Aug-17
I really like my Havalons. It has always been curious to me that people who handle broadheads worry about changing Havalon blades, I don't perceive any more risk in one than the other.

28-Aug-17
Thermacell will keep at bay any flying insect and on occasion even the mighty annoying menopausal spouse.

28-Aug-17

SixLomaz's Link
There is a model, Outdoor Edge Razor Pro Folding Knife, sold on Amazon, with a regular push button changeable blade and a non-changeable gutting blade. Both swinging out from the handle. Safe and easy to change the blade.

28-Aug-17
wyobullshooter x2

I own a Havalon and use it for caping or other delicate cutting, but I much prefer a 3-4inch fixed blade knife on almost everything else - certainly for hogs, bear and even deer and elk. Personal preference I suppose.

28-Aug-17
I just bought an Outdoor Edge Razor lite the other day. I used it to skin, gut, and cut up a Pronghorn. I used the Havalon to cape the animal. Both worked very well for the purposes for which I used them.

• Sitka Gear