Bowfreak 11-Oct-17
pav 11-Oct-17
CPAhunter 11-Oct-17
CPAhunter 11-Oct-17
CPAhunter 11-Oct-17
Bowfreak 11-Oct-17
Bullshooter 12-Oct-17
28-Aug-17
YES!!! I can see your pics for once Scoot!!! I usually get the dreaded X in the box photobucket crap! This will be good! Keep it coming!

28-Aug-17
You got it Scoot. You just have to be patient. (It seems to take some time before edits are reflected within a post.)

Your a bowhunter! Exercise some of that patience that I am sure came in handy sitting in a blind! LOL!

28-Aug-17
Per BB: Jeff "The Human Backhoe"....or something like that?

28-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
Cute twin fawns
smarba's embedded Photo
Cute twin fawns
smarba's embedded Photo
Fawn with a mane like a horse!
smarba's embedded Photo
Fawn with a mane like a horse!
Great start Scoot! I'll chime in with my side of things and add a little detail.

I had never hunted pronghorn myself, although our daughter has gotten a couple in my home state of NM. When I realized that Scoot was to be spearheading the group of Bowsiters I jumped into the mix.

Since my schedule allowed, I headed to WY before Scoot & crew and arrived in Salt Lake City early morning on Saturday and met Jeff and Cody (BB's son). We caravanned to WY and had an enjoyable drive throughout part of the hunting unit and spotted pronghorn in various areas as we drove. It was fun to meet them and share stories of their past hunts in the area, hunts with family and kids, and get to know each other. I quizzed them for any tidbits that might help us be successful, but by far the most important was the time and effort put in beforehand setting up the blinds and sharing their knowledge of the area. At the end of the day they headed for home, leaving me to set up camp and explore the area for a couple of days prior to season.

On Sunday I decided to sit in one of the blinds with my camera to see what we might expect. After sleeping in I didn’t get to the blind until midafternoon, but had plenty of activity and photo opportunities.

28-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
Mister Badger
smarba's embedded Photo
Mister Badger
We each had Mister Badger (or his brother) visit the waterholes daily. I had never seen a badger up close and enjoyed watching it shuffle around, slurp water, follow unseen scent trails and root around with their powerful digging claws.

28-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
Muddy feet
smarba's embedded Photo
Muddy feet
smarba's embedded Photo
Is this an elk wallow?!
smarba's embedded Photo
Is this an elk wallow?!
I was surprised that most of the pronghorn sloshed right into the mud and drank. I had always thought they didn't like to get their feet wet, but that was definitely not the case.

28-Aug-17
That's a nice looking blind set up. Looks like it might be a little cooler than the sweatboxes I've hunted out of. I'm in for this hunt, I love me some speed goat !

28-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
I didn't see any tremendous bucks while sitting to scout, but it was amazing to be within spitting distance of these pretty animals.

To say they were wary was an understatement...

28-Aug-17
Excellent! I've been waiting for this one! Good stuff guys!

28-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
I'm mainly going to post photos, as they are worth a thousand words...

Many thx to BB who many years ago turned me on to a quality camera and helped fuel my desire to take more photos.

28-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
I'm no trophy hunter, but this buck got my heart pumping!

28-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
Alert & scanning
smarba's embedded Photo
Alert & scanning
Jeff & Cody stressed to me, and I did my best to relay to Scoot's crew, to not move a muscle until the pronghorn began to settle down and put their head down to drink. Not the first few head down/snap up/head down/snap up, but really slurp in earnest.

As Scoot described, you can't get away with anything when they are on alert and closing in.

28-Aug-17
This is great! Are you sure you aren't BB's son? Haha. Great so far.

28-Aug-17
Awseome thread guys!! Carrying on Bill's tradition + kids, I love it!!!

Keep it coming!!!

Mark

28-Aug-17
Enjoying the ride... keep it coming.

28-Aug-17
Awesome post! I hunted with BB in 2014. I'm sure you had a great time!

28-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
Good buck
smarba's embedded Photo
Good buck
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
Sage grouse
smarba's embedded Photo
Sage grouse
In a few hour of sitting with camera it appeared that we would have plenty of opportunity as long as the dry weather held. Don't get me wrong, all I was doing was snapping pics and video, not trying to raise and draw my bow, but getting a shot at a buck seemed likely.

28-Aug-17
Cool stuff guys!

28-Aug-17
Scoot, What area are you hunting in ? The canyon pic was the wind river canyon. I worked rail cars in that canyon.

28-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
One of several first-day bucks
smarba's embedded Photo
One of several first-day bucks
smarba's embedded Photo
This particular fawn was on high alert, while the doe was not so skittish. The opposite of a typical doe/fawn visit.
smarba's embedded Photo
This particular fawn was on high alert, while the doe was not so skittish. The opposite of a typical doe/fawn visit.
smarba's embedded Photo
I sat until nearly dark the first day, as I didn't want to spook some pronghorn that had watered and then began feeding half a mile out.
smarba's embedded Photo
I sat until nearly dark the first day, as I didn't want to spook some pronghorn that had watered and then began feeding half a mile out.
The first day found each of us settled into the blinds well before daylight. I had a doe and fawn come in first, but they were so skittish I became paranoid that they might be seeing the reflection of my camera lens and didn't want to risk taking photos while I was actually hunting. In hindsight maybe I could have gotten away with it, but that first day was dead calm and I felt even my stomach growling or joints popping might be enough to get me busted!

I didn't have loads of action on the first day, perhaps due to a rain shower at midnight the night before, but had a handful of bucks, does and fawns come to water. I didn't have a size goal in mind and personally didn't feel like I needed to sit for 10-days straight just to ensure I had a crack at the biggest buck in the unit. But on the other hand I didn't feel pressure to drop the string.

I figured that when the right buck showed up I'd know it. I would have been plenty happy taking several of the bucks I passed, but focused on enjoying the experience and waiting to see how things played out.

28-Aug-17
This is great, keep them coming!

28-Aug-17
Good stuff! Following along...

28-Aug-17
Awesome! Great pictures and story. Keep it going! Kevin

28-Aug-17
So freaking awesome Scott!!! Congrats to you, Ryan, and Rod!!! Nice to see his face again......kind of....... :) Are you the first guys to sit those blinds this year? Seems to me the antelope are weary of those blinds for some reason. I've never had them as skittish as you make them sound.

Anyway........doesn't matter now!!! CONGRATS again on an awesome trip!!!

28-Aug-17
Great thread scoot! Been watching for this thread ever since you first sent me the pics!

28-Aug-17
Way to go guys! Lots of great memories right there!!! Congrats!

28-Aug-17
Great story ! Hey Ryan, on the board buddy ! Congrats

28-Aug-17
Congratulations. Thanks for sharing.

28-Aug-17
Nice job Scott!

28-Aug-17
Good stuff!!!! Congrats!

28-Aug-17
Now that's a post!! Wow . Best thread in a long time. Congrats to all involved . That's what it is all About! Hunt

28-Aug-17
Congrats to all of you.

28-Aug-17
Awesome story and pics! Thx for sharing.

28-Aug-17
Very nicely done. Congrats and thanks for posting.

28-Aug-17
Good as it gets!! Congrats to all

28-Aug-17
Really nice read !! Congrats to you all !!

28-Aug-17
Excellent thanks for sharing great pics and story.

28-Aug-17
Very cool, thank for sharing!

28-Aug-17
Awesome! Great shooting and great goats!

28-Aug-17
Thanks for sharing this thread, made my night at work much better! Congrats to all especially Ryan way to go!

29-Aug-17
That is great for you all.

Thanks for sharing

Congrats across the board

Good luck, Robb

29-Aug-17
Awesome day! Well done....congrats all around.

29-Aug-17
Wow...what a day! Congrats to all.

29-Aug-17
Congratulations to all! Great hunt and pictures; thanks for sharing!

29-Aug-17
Congratulations to all the Engel boys... well done.

29-Aug-17
Nice job!!

Yes antelope will smell you too just like deer and elk. Many don't pay attention to wind when antelope hunting but at bow distances they will definitely wind you.

29-Aug-17
Awesome, God really Blessed you with a Hunt of a Life time. Hunt with your kid not for them. Congratulation to all. Job well done.

29-Aug-17
Great thread Scoot, and a pretty damn good stab at picture taking ! I especially enjoyed the close up badger pics. Colorful animals in a great state !

29-Aug-17
Good stuff, Scoot! Great trip.

29-Aug-17
Awesome stuff Scoot. Congrats on your success but more importantly I am sorry about your loss.

29-Aug-17
agree with wytex, but also noted when you had pictures of them coming in the turning around a walking off that it appeared the sun was shining into the blind and that would also allow them to see you in there.

29-Aug-17
Great hunt! Thanks for sharing. You're making some precious memories with Ryan, way to go! My wife and I were lucky enough to be included in the last of BB's Bowsite hunts. Your pictures and stories make it seem like yesterday. I'm banking preference points for a return trip.

29-Aug-17
Great trip and thread! Congrats guys! Well done

29-Aug-17
What a great story Scott. Ryan will have a tough time trying to top this trip. But I am sure he will have fun trying.

29-Aug-17
Love the team photo Scoot!!

Sorry about losing your Mom, we are never "ready" to lose a loved one but dedicating your hunt in her honor is very touching and something you guys will remember for the rest of your lives:)

Well done!

Mark

29-Aug-17
Awesome Scoot! No need for apologies "mucking" up the thread. Hunting is about WAY WAY MORE than just stacking up critters. Darn cool that you recognize that and that you're passing it along to Ryan (and your daughter, whom I hope to meet one day)!

I won't have time to post for a little while, but wanted to reiterate how thrilled I was to get the report Ryan had tagged out and a good buck to boot. You all offered me the pick of the blinds since I had gotten out there first, but I absolutely had to put Ryan in the one that seemed best based on the sign and the actual blind itself as being the darkest inside and best setup for Ryan to succeed. Of everyone in the group, myself included, it was Ryan I wanted most to get one. Even if it meant one or all of us didn't fill our tags I would have counted the hunt a success as long as he filled his. Kind of icing on the cake that everyone had success (that's called foreshadowing...I'll have to post how day two went for me soon).

29-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
The second morning started out quickly with an extremely nervous doe drinking just after 7am followed shortly by one of the medium bucks I had passed the first day.

Midmorning I realized I had failed to grab two thermos bottles of ice water from my cooler in the truck, so with only half a bottle of energy/hydration mix it was going to be a thirsty day. I mulled it over and decided I dare not leave the blind because any antelope within a mile could potentially see me and mess up the day’s hunt.

As Scoot reported earlier, when I received word that Jon had tagged out about 11 am I became the last holdout. It was great to hear that he was successful!

29-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
I had a couple of small & medium bucks with a group of does and fawns water not long after that and with noticeably more activity than the first day I felt confident the day would be good.

29-Aug-17
Gonna be a challenge to top this one in 2017!!

Cool watching Ryan growing up every hunting season!! That smile hasn't changed!

Thanks for sharing..

29-Aug-17
Great read Scoot! Congratulations to all of you! I too just returned from a "dream trip" with my 11 yr old son and enjoyed countless hours in the blind with him and know spot on what you are talking about. They grow way to fast. We're also dealing with my mom's 2nd bout of cancer and just got through my mother in laws 3rd round. Sorry to hear that you lost your mom and I can only pray that mine has a different outcome. I really enjoyed your story and the pics and also miss BB's presents on Bowsite. As soon as my son can pull the minimum poundage (about another year) we'll be making WY an annual trip for pronghorn before he goes back to school. Again, Great Thread!!!!

29-Aug-17
What a great thread! Pretty cool. Congrats to Scoot and crew..... especially Ryan! First trip west and gets it done. Good job!

Carl...... yur killin' me........

29-Aug-17
Great Thread!

29-Aug-17
It is about family. Great thread and congrats.

30-Aug-17
Great thread guys. Congrats on the success of shooting some nice antelope as well a bowsiters coming together for a great hunt.

30-Aug-17
Awesome thread Scott! Finally had a chance to read all the way through it! Man Ryan has grown up over the summer, I'm going to have to get more brats and hot dogs next spring! Ha! Congrats to you guys on another fantastic hunt! Looking forward to seeing what the rest of fall brings!

30-Aug-17
Guys, guys (maybe gals too) I'm trying to finish up work at the office so I can go elk hunting...how can I possibly find the time to finish up the story. Should I wait for a week until I'm done hunting elk?!

30-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
The morning action continued to be much better than day one for me. I didn't keep a close count but had a handful of does, fawns and small to medium bucks come to water in groups of 1-2 up to 6. They were all wary, but I didn't get busted by any of them. Some of them would stare at the blind and it felt like their eyes were boring holes in me, but none spooked and all came to the water to drink. I was having a ball and relishing the opportunity to watch animals close up - like 12-15 yards.

30-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
This buck looked like a shooter to me
smarba's embedded Photo
This buck looked like a shooter to me
After the first day I realized there was absolutely no margin for error when it came to noise or movement. I have hunted out of a blind for turkeys and elk on occasion and in both cases I've typically just worn my normal camouflage.

For this trip I bought a black Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody (very comfortable in hot weather) that has a built-in facemask, figuring it would help. In hindsight I should have had black gloves too, but I made do by wearing a black sock on my bow hand.

I also hunt with my facemask just below my nose with my string anchored on the tip of my nose. Reluctantly after having some does notice something on the first morning I pulled my facemask over my nose to reduce the amount of my white face that was showing . I wished that I had brought some black face paint for my nose and around my eyes, but again made due with what I had.

I worried a little about my anchor point, but the facemask was paper thin and I drew my bow several times with everything feeling good, so I didn't put further thought to it.

About 1pm I peeked out the rear of the blind. The heat waves were horrible, but I spotted what appeared to be a good buck with a doe feeding on a far hillside. Given their proximity I felt they would come drink at some point.

30-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
Bugger how had I missed this guy?
smarba's embedded Photo
Bugger how had I missed this guy?
I kept tabs on them for nearly an hour as they meandered and fed, gradually making their way towards me until I was confident they were headed to the waterhole I guarded. I nervously awaited their arrival and tried to double-check that I was ready.

After what seemed like forever the doe stepped into view near the water. She was extremely cautious and stared at the blind for several minutes. The buck came into view and I caught my breath – he was big enough to make my blood pressure rise and there was no way I’d pass him up given the chance! He barged right in and began to slurp water broadside, but the doe hadn’t relaxed her vigil and I dared not try to draw my bow.

Finally the doe hesitantly began to approach the water, but the buck shifted position until he too faced me. Earlier in the hunt I had made up my mind that at close range if a frontal shot (gasp!) was what I was offered I'd take it. Full disclosure: I've never taken a frontal shot, but have studied pictures on Bowsite and I've butchered enough critters to know anatomy. I shoot relatively heavy arrows and Slick Trick Viper 125s, which are every bit a cut on contact head.

Having prepared myself for a frontal shot I wanted to draw but the doe remained at high alert. The buck seemed to be finishing his drink, raised his head and began to turn away. Based on my prior observations I realized my shot opportunity was rapidly ending. I felt it was now or never, so drew my bow. The doe hopped backwards and the buck began walking to my right. I was at full draw, but he was already approaching the edge of the blind’s shooting window.

Too many things were happening at once. Between my anchor point feeling “off” due to my facemask, me having to lean sideways so arrow would clear the blind and the buck moving, everything felt wrong. To add to the mix, the inside of the blind was dark while the outside was blindingly bright. My fiber sight pins all appeared black as did my eye alignment tool (IQ Retina Lock). I put my 20-yard pin on the buck and triggered my release but my arrow kicked up dust beyond him and I immediately realized I had shot over his back. The pair wasn’t overly spooked but within seconds they were out of range and I was left piecing together what had gone wrong.

I determined that as I had feared, I wasn’t locked onto my anchor like I should have been. And with my pins appearing black I assumed the Retina Lock was too. However that was my mistake as it should have been clear had I been anchored correctly. In the heat of the moment I didn't focus like I should have.

I watched the pair feed approximately half a mile distant and took solace that they hadn’t been alerted to my presence and given the fact they remained within sight it was likely that they would return to the water again at some point. At least I hoped so.

I texted Scoot's crew the woeful news. They were sympathetic. So much so that Scoot's response was "How did you like your hat before it was full of holes?" Referring to our agreement that anyone who missed would suffer further humiliation of the rest of the crew taking a shot at their hat at the same distance back in camp.

Scoot also apologized that they had decided to hit the road for their long drive home and wouldn't be around that evening. I wouldn't have holes in my hat after all, although I'd have to figure out a way to make it up to them. I wished them safe travels and let him know that I certainly understood them wanting to get a jump on their drive and had absolutely no hard feelings.

30-Aug-17
The remainder of the day brought several medium-sized bucks plus does and fawns, but after missing the bigger buck I wasn’t yet ready to drop the string.

I practiced drawing and locking into shooting position with my facemask in place dozens of times to ensure I could capitalize on my next opportunity.

Perhaps a mile away I could still see the big buck hanging out with the doe. Late afternoon a smaller buck joined them and they fed and milled around for the remainder of the evening. Just before sunset the big buck moved off by himself and disappeared into some sage, where I assumed he would bed for the night. Knowing he remained close to my waterhole gave me a good feeling about the next day and helped ease the sting of my catch-and-release opportunity.

30-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
sage grouse
smarba's embedded Photo
sage grouse
smarba's embedded Photo
How can one be too downcast with an awesome sunset like this?!
smarba's embedded Photo
How can one be too downcast with an awesome sunset like this?!
smarba's embedded Photo
Mister Badger entertained me again
smarba's embedded Photo
Mister Badger entertained me again
With Scoot's crew on the road I had no incentive (except that lack of water I mentioned earlier) to leave the blind and head to camp, so sat until dark.

I was treated to more entertainment from the badger and a flock of sage grouse, plus an awesome sunset.

30-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
Does it get any better than this?
smarba's embedded Photo
Does it get any better than this?
smarba's embedded Photo
The buck moved a little and drank again - this picture shows his horns better
smarba's embedded Photo
The buck moved a little and drank again - this picture shows his horns better
The next morning was a repeat of day two…except I grabbed my ice water! Just after sunrise the grouse showed up again so I snapped more pictures and video of them. Suddenly a buck appeared! He was one I had passed before, but certainly nothing to sneeze at. He didn’t hesitate, but came right in and drank broadside with his head hidden behind the dirt berm surrounding the water. Aye caramba, could it get any better than this?! Should I take advantage of this opportunity?

My text to the Minnesota crew who were again on the road summarized the encounter: “Lordy I just passed a good buck. One I’ve seen before and I was sorely tempted. He drank broadside with his head hidden by a berm for a long time. I may regret passing this golden opportunity.”

30-Aug-17
Congrats Scott, Rod and Ryan! and Smarba!

What an awesome hunt. Ryan will tell stories about this the rest of his life.

30-Aug-17
What a great thread! you guys had a hell of a trip, congrats!

30-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
Scoot & crew chided me for being picky but wished me luck. I responded with a text message that summarized my feelings:

“It’s not that I’m a trophy hunter per se, but conditions are so good and there is regular action so why get too antsy? I applied for many years. Next time it may take even more points to draw at tag. Why end it too soon? Just having fun!”

I hoped my casual attitude wouldn't come back to haunt me, but the trip had already been a stellar success and by holding out I'd been treated to plenty of entertainment by the badger, I'd seen my first sage grouse up close, and I'd had many additional close encounters with pronghorn and been blessed to observed their actions and interaction with a front row seat. I had no regrets and with the weather forecast to be dry for several more days it seemed a pretty safe bet to keep enjoying the experience.

30-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
What had spooked this buck?
smarba's embedded Photo
What had spooked this buck?
Perhaps half an hour later another good buck arrived to drink. He didn’t offer quite as good of a shot opportunity as the first, but it was plenty good enough. Again I opted to pass. Both of these bucks had watered twice the day prior and I hoped their early visits held promise that the bigger buck would also be thirsty if he remained in the vicinity.

Suddenly the buck raised his head and stared behind my blind. He sounded an alarm buzz, similar to a deer snort, quickly turned and began trotting away. I wondered what had spooked him and it wasn’t long before I found out.

30-Aug-17
The big buck from my second day encounter came sprinting into view to chase the buck that had just left the water. They tore across the prairie in high gear, kicking up dust clouds! I moved to the window and watched them speed away for over half a mile. Then, for apparently no reason, they slowed to a walk and began to feed. It seemed to me that the bucks were testing each other and displaying their dominance with speed and aggression. It was obvious that the bigger buck was boss. Coupled with his impressive horns, his attitude made me decide to keep passing subordinate bucks and hold out for him for a while. It looked like my wait wouldn’t be very long – the other buck fed away from me, but the bigger one faced my direction as he nibbled and every step he took brought him closer to the Wallow.

Soon I was certain that he intended to come drink. I texted the Minnesota crew:

“The big guy sprinted past and chased a decent buck away from the water. He’s half a mile out, but headed my way. Getting interesting. I like my odds that he’ll come over for a drink at some point.”

They cheered me on and echoed that they liked my odds too. I watched until he was within a couple hundred yards, and then eased to my seat to prepare for the buck’s arrival.

30-Aug-17
I toyed with the idea of firing up my video camera and letting it run, but I didn’t want to do anything that might spook him, so opted to live without close-range video or photos. Since I knew it was just a matter of time before he showed up, I gripped my bow and clipped my release onto the string, doing everything I could think of in advance to minimize my movement once he arrived at the water.

30-Aug-17
It took longer than I expected, but eventually the buck strode into view. Initially it appeared he would take the same route as the first buck of the day and I held my breath in hopes that he would drink with his head hidden from view. Alas just as he reached the water he deviated course and circle the muddy edge. He stopped broadside directly across from me and stared in the direction he had originally come running from. I was tempted to try drawing, but forced myself to stay frozen until he relaxed and began to drink. After a minute the buck turned and approached the water head on. He didn’t act skittish and quickly settled in to slurp with gusto. I had visualized a frontal shot and practiced drawing my bow dozens of times since my agonizing miss the prior afternoon. It was time to quickly and silently draw my bow.

The buck apparently noticed something and raised his head to stare toward me, but my pin was already at the base of his throat and my anchor point locked. I mentally pictured the location of his vitals and gently squeezed the trigger of my release!

30-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
The arrow was away before I could see what happened and the buck whirled 180-degrees. Immediately I saw my broadhead protruding low between his hind legs and knew the shot was not only fatal but absolutely devastating. My arrow had passed the length of his body, blowing through nearly every vital organ. He stumbled perhaps 30-yards and keeled over within seconds. I was awed by how quickly the hunt had come together. I had just taken my first pronghorn and he was a dandy buck to boot!

I excitedly relayed the news to Scoot and his crew and they cheered my success. I tried to convince them that since I had killed the very same buck, my miss the day before was really more of an initial and follow-up shot, but they would have none of that and chided me with laughter over the telephone. I’m not sure how I’m going to make good on our friendly hat shot challenge, but I’ll figure something out!

30-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
Ninja look
smarba's embedded Photo
Ninja look
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
My Chuck Adams pose
smarba's embedded Photo
My Chuck Adams pose
I am humbled and blessed beyond measure. It was awesome to share camp with Scoot, Ryan, Jon & Rod. I wish we could have hung out together for a week! Here's to next time...

30-Aug-17

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
Those of you that know me know I’m not a hunter that focuses on horn or antler size. I’ve been blessed with some fine trophy animals, but most times it’s because things just went my way and I would have been plenty happy taking a smaller specimen (although as our daughter says, the bigger animals have more meat!)

I pretty much classify animals into one of two categories: “shooter” or “not a shooter”. These categories are somewhat fluid and can be skewed a little by how empty our freezer may be, how hard I’ve worked, or how little time remains in a hunt. I was sorely tempted by some of the other bucks I saw, but with dry weather forecast and the hunt being so much fun I forced myself to wait a little while.

That said, the first time I laid eyes on my buck my mind resonated “shooter” and I wouldn't have been able to pass even if he had been the first buck that came to water.

Between getting the meat on ice and packing up camp to head for home I didn't take any horn measurements. Honestly to me it "cheapens" the experience to be too hasty to throw a tape onto any trophy I've taken.

I have some friends whose first response to a text I may send proclaiming "I killed a good bull, praise God!" is "How big?" rather than "Congrats, that's awesome!"

Who cares how big? If I was thrilled enough to release the string isn't that good enough?

At some point I will take a rough score and post it here for reference purposes, but by the time I got home the skull was getting a little ripe and I chose to just keep it cinched in the plastic bag to let the horns rot off, so it may be a little while.

I also like to write stories that I share with family and friends, so at some point I'll share a link where I expound on what the hunt meant to me and lots of personal thoughts that are beyond posting on a Bowsite thread.

In summary I can't thank Jeff enough for hosting the trip. It was an awesome experience and I'll never forget it. One of these years I hope to return with my daughter like Scoot was able to do with Ryan.

God bless,

Carl

30-Aug-17
Great buck Smarba! Congrats! That's a great way to top off an awesome thread!

30-Aug-17
Thanks Scoot!

I was thinking the same thing...I'd hate to see this thread end so soon, perhaps someone else may be headed to WY to meet Jeff and will be able to chime in, eh?!

30-Aug-17
Congrats to all in camp! Great goats, pics and hunt details. Scoot, that last line appears to be some type of cryptic tweet. Are you saying there's more to come?

30-Aug-17
Congrats on a great goat Carl! Scoot kept me posted on how this hunt was going somewhat. A trip that surely won't be forgotten!

You've got Chuck's squint down pretty good, now you just need the stocking cap!

30-Aug-17
Awesome. Forrest

30-Aug-17
a fantastic thread in all regards. thanks for sharing

30-Aug-17
That is awesome!!!!

Great job to all you guys! Carl, that is a real dandy buck, thanks for the pics and the great write up.

Congrats to Scoot and the boys. No messin' around, I love it. Great to see that huge grin of Ryan's again.

30-Aug-17
Very nice guys!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

30-Aug-17
Good stuff guys!!! Thanks for posting all those pics

31-Aug-17
Thanks guys for sharing your stories. The BB antelope thread is one of my favorites every year!

31-Aug-17
Great thread guys and congrats again to ALL! Scoot, great words and touching tribute to your Mom. I know you have mentioned this before and struggled with it since last December, as we all would. Wishing you peace from above as you continue to heal.

John

31-Aug-17
It just so happened, that the evening before pronghorn season began, I was driving on the freeway just south and east of that unit, and it was pouring cats and dogs, and I told my wife, who was with me, how sorry I felt for the guys who drove so far, and saved their points so long, as a storm like we were going through would ruin the area for weeks, if not a month. As we got nearer to the east boundary of that area, I was about to pass one of my favorite waterholes in the area just south of the area the Bowsite boys were hunting. I had hunted it for a number of years, back when permits were a lot easier to obtain. In those years it was nothing to see at least 200 antelope come into the waterhole per day on dry years, but had sat the same waterhole on wet years and might have 2 antelope water in 3 or 4 days.

So when I came to exit that would take me to that old waterhole, I told my wife I wanted to go walk Lexi down by the waterhole ad take a look at things. I pulled off the freeway and by this time the rain had let up and it was just a slight sprinkle, but there was water sitting everywhere. My dog and I took a short walk and there wasn't even a blind on that pond. I was surprised, but it was a good thing, as it was basically out of condition for weeks.

I got in my truck and headed west and called Jeff to tell him what had happened and how sorry I felt for the guys. To my surprise Jeff was with guys and she said it had just sprinkled up that way and that the forecast looked good. So that relieved my worries and I was happy for the guys.

During their hunt, Jeff and Cody, who both kept in touch with the guys, kept me informed on what was happening. I was so happy to learn that everyone filled their tag on such a tough year, in so many ways. Last winter, in that area, was very tough on the wildlife. It killed about 80 percent of there deer and took its toll on the antelope too. So for all of them to fill their tags so quickly told me God above was watching over them.

I was so happy to hear that Ryan filled his bow tag as a 12 year old. I just love seeing young boys and girls getting involved with bowhunting and the outdoors. I got hooked with the outdoors as a very young boy growing up in Wyoming, and its been my passion, in one way or another my whole life. I hope it becomes his, as it brings so many great memories and gives a young person something else to think and do besides the TV, the phone, and the tablet. Congrats. to Ryan and to the rest of the group. You did me proud. And although I didn't have a thing to do with it, it still makes me very happy that it all worked out for all of you.

In closing I will say I learned a lot about antelope and their behavior, as I sat each and everyone of the waterholes you mentioned and hunted. And I shot a lot of photos from each of those blinds. And in doing that I learned a lot too.

I spent many hours in tree stands taking photos of elk, moose and mule deer, And I took a lot of this with flashes, and the light never bothered any one of those animals. The sound of the shutter clicking did, but not the flash.

Now back to the antelope. But as I took my early photos of antelope and watched them spook from 100 yard out, I soon released that if antelope see any light coming from a blind, they are gone in most cases, with the exception of bucks during the heat of the rut.

Even the small, focus assist light, will scare an antelope. So you can imagine what any other light source will do. I don't know if any of your cameras had that option on, but that might have been your problem.

But antelope are spooky critters, and especially out in those lands of Wyoming where they see very few people all year, until hunting season. They are wired pretty tight.

Anyway congrats to all on a job well done. In all the years, from the time I first started this hunt, not one person has finished the season without fill their tag. I am glad that record continued. But the memories and good times, as time passes with far exceed the filling of ones tag!

I might be to late to say this, as after reading every post, I can see you had a great bowhunt.

But----Have a great bowhunt. BB

01-Sep-17
Very nice all around guys. my best, Paul

01-Sep-17
BB..... that was... perfect.....

Hopefully we can continue to have an extension of the "BB hunt" for years to come. Thanks Scoot. Too cool...

Carl.... =D

Ya done good.... great story and great pics, Well done. Thanks much buddy...

01-Sep-17
Another outstanding Bowsite hunt! Thanks to all for taking the time to post and congrats!

01-Sep-17
Nice report. Thanks for bringing us along.

01-Sep-17
I really enjoyed this thread, Thanks for sharing.

02-Sep-17
Yup great thread and did the BB tradition proud !

02-Sep-17
Excellent thread guys....great job!

BB, real glad to see you posting. I think I speak for all when I say your past contributions here are sorely missed. Come back more often!

02-Sep-17

Phydous's embedded Photo
Phydous's embedded Photo
Sorry to impede on this thread, but the BB Antelope hunt I was fortunate to go on in 2012 continues to be one of my favorite hunts ever. What a blessing it was for me. Thanks to BB, Jeff, and Cody for everything. You have touched many lives over the years. God bless and THANK YOU!!!

02-Sep-17
Scott, I am a heck of a lot closer to those blinds than you are, and I was up early this morning looking for a moose to shoot with my canon, and there was a southwest wind blowing and I could smell pronghorn blood, so maybe what you heard isn't a rumor! I can tell you what I smelled this morning was not rumor.

But I guess we have to wait and see if it was just all hot air! It sure was hot today for sure!

I hope they had a great bow hunt and hope those of you out hunting now or soon to be do too! BB

PS. Hey Guy good to see you. I hope things are going well for you. Part of that blood I smelt this morning was coming from Bubbles!

02-Sep-17
Excellent!

03-Sep-17

DConcrete's embedded Photo
I am Jeff Dumas.

I had initially agreed to do this hunt when we all struck out in the draw last season.

I made the commitment to the guys to do it again this season.

In July, I took several of my boys up there, Kolton, Jace, Peyton, and Jeffrey up there to put in the antelope blinds.

It's been an obscenely busy summer with work, family, bowhunting preparations. So to say I was relieved to get the blinds in was an understatement.

I only have a short time to go up and meet the first hunters of the season. My wife has a Utah antelope tag, my son has a Utah deer tag plus general season elk. I have Colorado elk coming really soon. I have plenty of hunts, but short on time. Story of our lives.

Anyways, I wanted to bring my 3 year old along for this hunt. His name is Wyatt and he is beyond obsessed with bowhunting.

Most kids watch cartoons, he watches the outdoor channel. He can identify the big game animals in North America.

I brought him along to hunt with his older brother Jace, who's 15.

We arrived late on Saturday afternoon around 2:30 to the blind call little deep hole.

I have hunted this blind successfully in the past as have other hunters.

We got settled in the blind and it was really slow, as is sitting for antelope in the afternoons. At least in my experience.

We did have a doe and a fawn come in and water, Wyatt and Jace were enjoying the show, they did their thing and then left.

The night was pretty unproductive.

We walked back to the truck and headed to town to meet Todd Morenz and his wife Lori for dinner and to discuss tomorrow's plans.

They decided they would go sit bubbles, which is the blind with the most active. And we would return to little deep hole.

This is Jace and Wyatt when we got to the truck to go meet Todd and his wife in town

Whenever I post pictures, which is rare, they're sideways. So if somebody could fix them, that would be great.

03-Sep-17

Todd and Lori were meeting us at 5:00 a.m. So they could follow us out into the dark desert

They arrived and off we went. We parted ways at each other's turns, wished each other best luck and shoot straight!!

We were settled in the blind ready to go at 6:00 a.m.

It was a pretty slow sit until 8:15 when I saw some does starting to file in to the water hole. Does and fawns coming in, walking around cautiously like they do. A few watered. I looked out the same peep and here comes a buck. And he's a very very nice buck.

He makes his way to the water and mills around for a minute before watering head on.

My son has no experience in this department, nor does he shoot a poundage that I'm comfortable with him taking that shot so I made him wait it out.

And then out of nowhere, magpies come flying on top of the blind, make one hell of a racket and that bucks runs off.

I could see the look of defeat on Jace's face. I looked at him and said, that's bowhunting kid, but he didn't get very much to drink and he'll be back.

A few more does came filtering back in, and pretty quick, here came the buck.

He stood on the other side of the pond which was 15 yards with his head looking away. The does were peacefully watering and I whisper to Jace, shoot him.

I had Wyatt on the floor of the blind because I couldn't risk him hurting Jace right now. He was quietly watching a movie.

Jace perfectly pulls his bow back, and none of the antelope moved an inch.

He took aim, and Jace, who's killed a handful of animals, really takes his time. He doesn't rush anything.

He placed his pin and it felt like an eternity, and he finally released and he hit that buck hard.

They all take off running straight away from the blind and pretty quick the buck is losing steam. The does are leaving him in the dust.

He stops and stands there and does the dance we all hope to see. And just like that, Jace has filled his first wyoming tag of his life.

We are getting up early to go sit for mule deer for him. Taking his 5 year old sister with us.

In closing, I'd just like to say, take the kids hunting. Protect our heritage. Get them involved young.

I'll forever be indebted to Bill Allard for all that he's taught me. And I am passing it down in large numbers.

Stop fighting amongst ourselves and let's learn who and what the real threat to our heritage really is.

Thanks folks for reading. Thanks to all the guys from bowsite. You made the hunt happen. Not me!

03-Sep-17

04-Sep-17

4beards's embedded Photo
One of our first day visitors.
4beards's embedded Photo
One of our first day visitors.
Scoot. You couldn’t be more spot on! Lori and I(Todd) had the pleasure of spending an afternoon with Wyatt during our scouting trip with Jeff. He’s an amazing little boy and it’s easy to tell he loves hunting. He can make a heck of an elk mew. We had enjoyed dinner in town with Jeff, Wyatt, and Jace the evening after our first day’s hunt. What a respectful young man. I don’t find many 15 year olds who actually know how to give a firm handshake and have a conversation with an adult. We decided to sit the Wallow blind our first day based on the fresh sign, big buck sightings in the area, and Jeff mentioning the Wallow was one of BB’s favorite blinds to sit. He said we probably wouldn’t see the numbers that the other blinds typically saw, but the chance for a bigger buck would be there. Carl gave me a great scouting report based on his 2 days at the Wallow, and I felt good about a chance at a big buck. I’m not a trophy hunter, but since it was the first day and knowing that the rest of the bowsite crew saw several good goats at the other 2 blinds, my decision was made. The first doe arrived around 8. We glassed a few bucks way out in the distance and felt they would water at some time during the day. Unfortunately, they didn’t and we had only 2 other does approach the water throughout the day. Lori and I were surprised at the lack of activity, but as we all say, that’s hunting.

04-Sep-17

4beards's embedded Photo
Lots of eyes...
4beards's embedded Photo
Lots of eyes...
We chose Bubbles for day two of our hunt. As Jeff mentioned, we met him and his boys before heading out. After getting set up it became clear that this would be a different experience than sitting the Wallow blind. Not because the first buck arrived shortly after sunrise, but from the direction from which he came. This blind is more east facing so when the sun first comes up, it’s shining in the blind. As BB mentioned, any light coming from the blind puts the antelope on even higher alert. I merely turned my view to the right and a buck had just come into my sight window and yep, he saw me turn my head. He was literally right there, less than 20 yards before I first saw him. He backed out immediately. I told my wife this was going to be tricky. It wasn’t long after that the next lopes came in. Does and fawns. They watered but were extremely cautious - sun still hitting me in the blind. The longest shot across this water hole was 18 yards, the shortest 12. You know it’s close when you can hear not just them slurping water, but actually swallowing. Crazy. Oh, I mentioned the first buck appeared out of nowhere from my right…many others did the same and some watered before they came into the main puddle. We never saw them, only heard them drinking and pulling there hooves out of the sucking mud they stood in. My wife asked, “How the %#&! are you going to get off a shot if they are so close and we can’t see them coming?” I told her those before me, Scott and Carl, said wait ‘til they are drinking. We trusted their advice. The rest of the morning treated us to a steady stream of does, fawns and a few small bucks.

04-Sep-17

4beards's embedded Photo
4beards's embedded Photo
Jeff and his boys were at Little Deep Hole. My cell service was poor and communicating with him, and Scott wanting updates, was spotty at best. At 8:30 I did get his text that Jace had scored. Great news and I was feeling good about the rest of my hunt. In fact, I had gotten a text to go through a bit later that we had a shooter at 40 yds, but the doe watering spooked. What happened? I hadn’t blinked! Jeff said Jace’s buck spooked too but came back for more, to be exact he said, “Bubbles is a great place you’ll be good.” Jeff’s experience, confidence, and advice helped me keep the faith. I don’t exactly remember what time, but asked Lori if she wanted lunch. The way our day had gone up to this point, we had actually had a 30-45 minute lull without any sightings. For some reason neither of us really felt like eating. Maybe because the temps were rising or the morning had flown by with all the action. None the less, we decided to wait. With the sun higher, I was able to get away with a bit more movement in order to see to the south. I spotted a buck at about 100 yds out and told my wife I thought he was worthy of “wearing and arrow,” as Jeff liked to put it. He stood like a statue for several minutes and I wondered what his hold-up was. My wife, who hunts whitetails and turkeys suggested there could be another buck out there. More minutes passed and she noticed does coming from the northeast. Time to remain motionless and let things play out. Sure enough, a bigger buck enters the picture. It was like the perfect storm with does coming from one direction, 2 bucks from the other and us by the water they wanted to drink from.

05-Sep-17

4beards's embedded Photo
4beards's embedded Photo
Being the last Bowsiter of the group to have a tag and knowing that the original annual BB hunt had a 100% success rate, the pressure was on. Wait for them to drink! The 2 bucks, 1 doe and 1 fawn did but that other doe just wasn’t ready. I don’t know that she ever did, but she moved out of site from the shooting window. I thought my draw was smooth and quiet, but at ¾ the way back they all jumped from drinking. The buck I wanted stopped to look back at the blind, but still at less than 20 yds. After I released the arrow he whirled and bolted like no other animal I have witnessed. 0-45 mph immediately but I could see blood pumping out the opposite side. After an 87 yd sprint he crashed in site of the blind. Pure emotions took over for both me and my wife. I damn near pulled her off our bench seat with a huge hug and tears from both. Yes, I am man enough to admit to having been so happy to shed a tear. I feel blessed to not only been able to go on this hunt, but to share it with my wife! I feel as though I have been a bit lengthy, but need to close with thanks to the fellow Bowsiters who made this hunt possible for me. Thanks Bill for starting the annual antelope hunt and inspiring me with your amazing photography. Scott, thanks for the original post looking for hunters interested in joining in this hunt. Also for the scouting report from your groups’ hunt and the tips for success while in the blind. Carl, thanks for the details of your hunt and what I needed to do to maximize my opportunities while in the blind. Until you have sat in and seen these blinds, you cannot appreciate the work that goes into setting these blinds. Jeff is one of the hardest working individuals I have met, both as a hunter and I am sure as a business owner. Without his efforts this would not be possible. I don’t know where he finds the time, but damn he gets it done. Hell, he even came back out to the unit after getting his son’s lope on ice and in the cooler to do the same for mine. He is definitely passing the torch to his sons, who no doubt respect and admire their dad. And lastly, to my beautiful wife who served as my wingman on this trip. Life can throw some crazy s#@t at you. I was blessed with a window of opportunity to make this trip happen this year, but couldn’t have made it without her support and being there. She was willing to not just help me with the 14 hour drive, but ready to do the not so fun chores after the kill. (Jeff bailed her out. Ha.) Happy Hunting!

05-Sep-17
Congrats to all of you!

05-Sep-17
Awesome guys! Congrats to all of you guys on some great bucks and even greater memories! Thanks for keeping this going!

BB, great to see you posting again on the Bowsite. As much as I enjoy your pictures on Facebook, I enjoy your bowhunting spin here even more! Thanks for all you've given us over the years!

05-Sep-17
That was pretty cool.hope it's not the last one.

05-Sep-17
More than rumor has it, there was another Dumas lad that filled his tag last Sunday. I won't say more than that until after he posts. Hopefully he will and tell his story.

After Carl killed his buck, and after talking with him, I drove up there late one evening and slept in my truck about a 1/4 mile away. I had hopes of seeing and photographing a badger, which Carl had seen most days he sat. And if I recall correctly, he saw 2 at least one day and maybe several days.

I sat the whole day, from before light until it was too late to shoot my camera, and never laid eyes on a badger.

Here are a couple photos I took that day will sitting the Wallow.

And incidentally, the way the wallow got its name, was from the very first hunter I took on the BB pronghorn hunt. His name is Scott Wilson, a regular here, and one super turkey hunter. Scott shot his buck on opening morning of that first hunt and text me and told me. I was sitting bubbles with my son as I recall, and told him I would walk out and meet him near the road, several mile from the blind. When I got to the road and Scott came by on my four wheeler, it looked like he had a brown cow on my bike. I ask him what the heck happened and he told me how he shot the buck, which fell into the mud and from that time on we called it the wallow!

After the last Dumas boy posts his photos and tells his story, I would hope its okay if every hunter who ever came out and hunted, post their bucks too, with a brief tale of how it happened. I hope that's okay. I just think most who came had a great time and made some new friends, and hopefully realized I am the KING of BS!

Have a great bowhunt. BB

P.S. I will post those photos after I edit them and one at a time.

05-Sep-17

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's the only buck I saw the day I sat. I have most likely logged more days in each blind than anyone else, and by far this was my slowest day at the Wallow. It was really a tough year and so these guys did exceptionally well, under the conditions.

I remember one year I was sitting the Wallow and my son was sitting Bubbles. He had to be to work the next day and had a bunch of stuff he had to do for his work, so he told me he was only going to sit until 2 pm and then head home.

He texted me about 2 that day and told me he hit his phone everytime and buck came in and watered. As I recall he had 68 bucks water by 2 pm. Not bad for kid that sleeps half the time. Ha Ha

05-Sep-17

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
I only saw two fawns all day long. This was one of them that came in with the buck I just posted and his mom.

I cropped this vertical wise to see if that's the problem people are having when the photos post sideways.

05-Sep-17

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Some of you might not believe this, but while I sitting there all day, I was listening to an old radio playing old timers songs, and if any of you (besides me) are old enough to remember Chubby Checker, then you might recall his hit "Twisting"! Well that song came on and so I turned the radio up load so all could hear, and believe it or not, this prairie dog came running in and did the twist! I have the photo to prove it!

05-Sep-17

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
You might not see many pronghorns on this hunt, but one thing you will see lots of are these horned larks. They come in by the hundreds from early morning until very late. I don't take their photos much anymore, as I have so many photos. But they are an interesting bird that I still don't have figured. And its very rare when you see them with their horns up. Look closely at this birds head and you will see a black tuff of feathers. They on rare occasions stick those up and it looks like they have horns, thus their name.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

06-Sep-17
So thrilled to hear of Todd's success! Ditto for Jeff's son Jace.

Again and again thanks to Jeff for hosting the event - it was an awesome experience for all of us. And to BB for your wisdom and photos on the Bowsite over the years. It was a pleasure talking to you on the phone after my hunt.

Carl

06-Sep-17
Great thread! Thank you BB for what you started.

08-Sep-17

smarba's Link
All: I promised an update for you once I got the horns cleaned up and I like to write stories to share with friends and family. The link will take you to a more detailed, personal story of my hunt and what it meant to me. Parts of what I posted on Bowsite were taken directly from my story, but I hope you'll enjoy my continuous, albeit long-winded version from my perspective.

Those who know me know I’m not a hunter that focuses on horn or antler size. I’ve been blessed with some fine trophy animals, including this buck, but many times it’s because things came my way and I would have been plenty happy taking a smaller specimen (although as our daughter Robin says, bigger animals have more meat!) As I’ve said many times before, I classify animals into one of two categories pretty quickly: “shooter” or “not”. These categories are somewhat fluid and can be skewed by how empty our freezer may be, how hard I’ve worked, or how little time remains in a hunt or circumstances that led up to the shot opportunity.

My mind reverberated “SHOOTER!” the first time I saw my buck. For those that are curious I took some rough measurements of his headgear for reference purposes. I'm not into having it officially scored, nor am I an expert measurer. I don't want to slight the P&Y club in any way by claiming a P&Y score. I'm simply providing a rough ballpark score for reference purposes only.

I found the horns extremely difficult to measure due to the location of the prongs and the fact that mind didn't really have a specific location where I could identify where the prong swell began. Because both D2 & D3 basically fell within the prong area. My buck measures somewhere around 71-72-inches gross (I could care less about net) and I couldn’t be happier – praise God for Wyoming!

06-Oct-17

kylesredapple's embedded Photo
kylesredapple's embedded Photo
BB asked for people to chime in about hunting with him, so I thought I would put this out there as I owe Mr. Allard a great deal of gratitude for what he did to help me.

My name is Kyle, and 6 years ago I saw on bowsite where Mr. Allard posted that if anyone had 5 preference points and did NOT smoke he would be willing to take you on an antelope hunt in Wyoming. I immediatly thought to myself that would be amazing! However, there were two problems. I had 0 preference points and I smoked a pack a day. I PM'ed Mr. Allard and explained my desire to hunt with him and also my challenges to his unique and kind offer. He was incredibly sincere and kind in his response and to paraphrase he said " keep trying to quit, I hate smoking, it ruins peoples lives. Once you quit then I will take you." I put in for a Preference point the next day, and each year after that until this year. I tried hard to quit for years and eventually thought I would never be able to go with Mr. Allard. Last June (on the 10th to be be exact) I took my last puff on a smoke and bought my 5th preference point. All I could think about for the next 9 months was hunting an antelope in Wyoming and NOT smoking. I reviewed every BB thread and picture and story associated with the "Bowsite hunt" and told myself every day that if I stayed clean that I would be in wyoming in August. Then, I saw that Mr. Allard, due to challenges in his own life would no longer be doing the bowsite hunt. I felt so bad for him as I knew how much joy he got from these hunts and I prayed for him every day. I also knew what that meant for me. When May rolled around, I looked at my 5 points and thought what the heck, I might as well go on my own. Heck, I had successfully quit smoking and after all, Mr. Allard and his invitation are what made that happen. I drew a tag, drove 12 hours to Wyoming and shot the first Antelope I saw 15 minutes after the sun came up. Mr. Allard, you saved my life, my 3 little girls will hopefully have a dad for a long time because of you and I will never be able to express how greatful I am for that. I really wish I could have gone with you because this was the best bowsite antelope hunt I never went on.

All my best,

Kyle from New Mexico

06-Oct-17
Wow Kyle, awesome story and great buck! Way to set your goal and be rewarded. Everything happens for a reason. This thread is one of the best I've followed. Thanks to all for sharing and congratulations on the unreal success.

06-Oct-17
Kyle that's an AWESOME story! Hang tough and don't let yourself fall back to your old ways. BB continues to inspire!

06-Oct-17
A HUGE congrats on quitting smoking, and on fulfilling your dream on your goat hunt as well, Kyle! My brother smokes like a chimney and wishes that he could quit, but doesn’t have enough willpower. I’ve seen what it’s done to his health. I hope someday that you get to take your grandchildren hunting!

07-Oct-17
Congratulations Kyle on your efforts to quit smoking. That is the great thing about life, you never know where your inspiration or motivation will come from. I hope your kids have their father around for a long time.

I had the opportunity to hunt with Bill back in 2011. Even though I had the points and we talked on the phone for a couple years he said he would wait for me to apply until I was able to save up the funds to do a trip like this. I think he had sympathy for me because I am an educator, as is his wife.

First, I would like to say Bill is quite the comedian. When I told my family and friends I was hunting with a guy I met on the internet they asked if I was worried about that or scared because he may be a crazy person. I said no he must be a good guy because he is on bowsite. Having talked to him on the phone multiple times our conversations were cordial and generally to the point so I thought I knew who I was hunting with.

I flew into salt lake, rented a car and drove to Wyoming and Bill's camp. I arrived at camp at about 10:30 pm. When I arrived it was only Bill and his son Kody in his Toy Hauler trailer. We shook hands made a little small talk and then Bill asked me what I thought about porn? I immediately thought to myself, oh crap, what did I get myself into. Can't even remember what I said to Bill as I was thinking to myself how I was going to make a break from this bad situation. Bill then proceeds to show me some pictures on his phone of buck antelope that was just shot and taking his final breaths then another buck decided it was too tempting so he mounted and serviced the soon to be dead buck. Bill and Kody got quite the kick out of that.

I had a great time with Bill and Kody and only wish we could do it again. Bill is a special kind of person and I wish everyone had the opportunity to go on his hunt. I am still building points hoping to make it back to Wyoming in 2 or 3 years. Thanks for the memories Bill. Here is a video of the hunt. 17 yard shot with wasp jak-hammer and buck ran about 60 yards.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?forum=8&threadid=401619&MESSAGES=41&FF=8#3282997

By the way if you listen real close in the video you can hear Bill telling me to shoot him in the chest. I believe the date was Oct 1, 2011 and the rut was on full display. Witnessing the antelope in rut mode was crazy and worth the admission price alone.

09-Oct-17

CPAhunter's embedded Photo
Jeff is a class act. BB mentored him well!

Here is a pic of Jeff's buck taken during my hunt in 2013

09-Oct-17

As per BB's request - here's my buck taken while sitting in the blind with the master himself. Can't recall the name of the blind, it was north and west of his camper.

09-Oct-17

Best of all was making friends with these guys back in 2013.

10-Oct-17
Very nice thread, thank you Scoot.

10-Oct-17
Great story! Thanks for posting it all up! Reminds me of my trip out there as well!

10-Oct-17
Great thread! I'm glad it came back up as I missed it while hunting. Grats to all of you guys!

11-Oct-17

Bowfreak's embedded Photo
One thing about Cody sleeping in the blinds is that he comes by it honest.

11-Oct-17

I will say that the best part of my antelope hunt with Bill was actually hanging out with Bill. If there is a nicer, more sincere, more caring man on the face of the Earth I'd be shocked. There is also not a guy that exists that is full of more bovine excrement. Anyone that knows Bill knows these things are true. I won't even go into his expert horse gutting ability but if you are interested...search bowsite.

BB lit my fire for antelope and I am forever indebted to him. I hope to at least shake his hand again or in a perfect world, sit an antelope blind with him again.

I talked to Cody on the phone when I was there and we have shared a few PMs. He is very much like his father and was very congratulatory and interested in how I shot my buck.

Jeff, has turned into a long distance friend. We had breakfast when I was in Salt Lake and he went with me to his taxidermist. We keep in contact and will hopefully be able to do a hunt in the future. He has a whole brood of children and KY has free youth hunting so it will be a good match. :)

Here is the buck I shot in 2013. I was tightening my string to draw on another buck when Bill grabbed my leg to stop me and tell me to shoot this buck. At first it didn't stop me but I realized Bill was looking at a much better buck than I could see. The shot was close...maybe 14 yards or so and he was done quickly.

11-Oct-17

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Another from BB's antelope hunts.....Class of 2013

11-Oct-17
Mark, you posted the pic I took of Bill catching flies in the blind LOL. I was going to post it again like I did back in 2013 but thought better. BB's either laughing or very upset with us right now :-)

Wish we could have met, if I recall you arrived with wet weather moving in right after I left camp.

11-Oct-17

Here is the euro mount from my 2013 buck. Jeff's taxidermist Sam Raby from Salt Lake did the mount. He has since retired.

11-Oct-17

Actually this was BB showing me what he wanted to see an antelope buck look like after the shot.

11-Oct-17
LOL!

12-Oct-17

Bullshooter's embedded Photo
Bullshooter's embedded Photo
Class of 2014. BB taught me about the power of Snuffer broadheads. Even helped me get them shaving sharp when I was there. When I showed my buddies this photo, they teased me that it must have been hit by a car. It was taken at "Holy Water".

By the way, is BB OK? Some of the comments are making me nervous.

• Sitka Gear