Tuck56 28-Aug-17
billygoat 30-Aug-17
Bake 30-Aug-17
HDE 30-Aug-17
yooper89 30-Aug-17
bad karma 30-Aug-17
stick n string 30-Aug-17
28-Aug-17
I am headed to CO unit 53 for my first Archery Elk hunt. Planning on a hike in and hunt for just over a week. This is my first Elk Hunt ever and I realize that this will be a learning experience for me. I am going solo. I may take my MTB with a small trailer and try to get back in farther than I would hiking. I would love to get some advise from experienced Elk hunters. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

28-Aug-17
BTW I am heading out on the 16th of next month.

30-Aug-17
I was invited to hunt 53 with a fairly large group in 2011 and was able to go again in '14. We packed into the West Elks pretty far and were into elk pretty good that 1st trip. Over the years the quality of that hunt (in the area we frequented at least) has gone down some due to overcrowding. Bugle magazine did a nice article about how great the West Elks Wilderness is and people took notice and flooded the place. Part of that wilderness is in a draw unit. The part in 53 is OTC.

Much of that unit is very rugged, no doubt holds elk no matter how many people are in there. Best of luck to you.

30-Aug-17
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure your mountain bike is allowed into the wilderness. . . . no wheeled vehicles I believe.

30-Aug-17
^^^ that is normally the case for all wilderness areas.

30-Aug-17
I don't believe any wheeled object can go into wilderness- be it a truck, a bike or even a game cart.

30-Aug-17
That's correct. Nothing with wheels can travel in a wilderness. No bikes, no carts, nothing with a motor....)

30-Aug-17
You Trad snobs....;^)

• Sitka Gear