Muskrat 05-Sep-17
Shiras 05-Sep-17
SteveBNY 05-Sep-17
29-Aug-17

DartonJager's embedded Photo
This posting is for us bigger archers who's waist lines average between 38-40" and are considering converting to and trying out a 1/2 body harness in place of our traditional full body harnesses. Judging from the postings here it would seam quite few people at this website of late (myself included) are giving 1/2 body rock climbing harnesses a try in place of their traditional full body harnesses. Enter my first problem. As I said, I am a big guy and my waist line varies from 38-40" add hunting cloths and I'm quickly up to a 40-44" waist line and that put the BD Alpine Bod harness out of contention as it XL is advertised as having a 39" waist line. So I had to go looking for alternatives. I wanted one equipped with D-rings on the side so I could attach my line mans rope to it for safely installing stands and bought one so configured. It did however take me two tries to get one I liked. Even though it works superbly for installing stands when not under stress of use, it had a little difficulty staying up around my waist due to the large additional padded section on the rear of the waist belt. Enter harness type #2 that has no D-rings on the side and as it has non padded waist belt, it secures around my waist perfectly and I have tried it out with both minimum and maximum cloths and it remained in place and didn't droop or fall down.

The first harness with D-rings on the side is made by Yeatek and sold by Oumers at Ebay for $38.50 W/S&H. The second harness is sold by Starpeak and available at Amazon for under $25 W/S&H. I have not actually tried falling out of a stand and self rescuing while wearing either stand, so please keep that in mind if you consider buying either. I have though tethered myself to a tree and hung in both just off the ground and bounced in both violently and both held up without issue and I was acceptably comfortable with no major discomfort felt in my groin or in my thighs. Granted this is nothing more than me sharing my limited experience with two harnesses and I have no real experience using 1/2 body harnesses, but I do have a butt load of formal training using full body harnesses and I can tell you these two 1/2 body harnesses are far superior for use while hunting IMHO than a full body harness. Just wanted to let bigger hunters like myself know that there are 1/2 body harnesses out there that will work and are reasonably priced. I will include pictures of both. The difference will be made obvious by one not having and one having metal D-rings.

29-Aug-17
I too am a big guy. 250 6'4" with 38" waist. Try the climbing harness this year. Tried hanging from a tree out back and all went well.

Seems ALOT simpler, lighter and much safer than hanging from the back of my neck 18 feet up.

29-Aug-17

petedrummond's embedded Photo
petedrummond's embedded Photo
I thought you said this was for big waistlines.

03-Sep-17
I added webbing to my rock climbing around the waist with velcro for my lineman's belt. Military grade webbing with over 1000 pounds of strength. I don't weight but 170 lbs.

03-Sep-17
When I read bigger waistlines I was thinking in the 46+ range. I seen 36 and 38 as I was passing thru back in the1980's.

04-Sep-17
So your safety rope is attached in front not sure if I would like that.Thanks for sharing Lewis

04-Sep-17
So your safety rope is attached in front not sure if I would like that.Thanks for sharing Lewis

04-Sep-17
has anyone tested these, seem very interesting. With the attachment in the front seems like it will be in the way but if you did fall you'd probably twist so you facing the tree which would be good?

04-Sep-17
Wasaudug, Do a search on youtube and you will find videos showing 1/2 body harnesses VS full body in terms of falling, self rescue and shooting a bow while wearing it. Videos sold me as I hunt alone 95% of the time and cell reception where I hunt is very poor as in no calling text only some of the time.

04-Sep-17
I tuck my rope under my right arm pit and use the prusik knot to tighten or loosen my line. Loosen it to stand up and tighten it back when sitting back down.

04-Sep-17
I tuck my rope under my right arm pit and use the prusik knot to tighten or loosen my line. Loosen it to stand up and tighten it back when sitting back down.

05-Sep-17
I bought the one with the yellow loop and tested it on a backyard tree. Really like how it feels when hanging and being able to face the tree seems a lot better. No plans on falling but I ALWAYS wear a safety belt. Being a minimalist I like the lightweight and simple design. If climbers can wear these while rock climbing I am good up 15 feet.

05-Sep-17
I've been using these for many years, and the tie in front is not an issue, the tether stays out of the way under either arm as you sit facing away from the tree. this requires no special effort on your part, it naturally lays to whichever side you prefer. Even if you turn to face the tree for a shot off to the side and a bit behind you, the tether line does not get in the way, it is off to the side. This is all with a minimal amount of slack in the tether.

05-Sep-17
I tried these for the first time this year and they are far less obtrusive than the vests the hunting industry has sold us. The tether has not been in my way at all, unlike the vests.

05-Sep-17

SteveBNY's Link
Found this one on Amazon. For us bigger guys who want the linesmen loops built in. $38 is all.

• Sitka Gear