SteveB 31-Aug-17
WapitiBob 31-Aug-17
Sean McConnell 04-Sep-17
SteveB 04-Sep-17
pirogue 05-Sep-17
WapitiBob 05-Sep-17
SteveB 05-Sep-17
30-Aug-17
Anyone here have experience with a good iPhone GPS app that really works? My guide is recommending Flatline Maps for unit 5A in Arizona and I see an app called Avenza that lets you download Flatline maps to it and works whether or not you have cell service. Reviews on it aren't great. I would appreciate any insight!

30-Aug-17
OnXMaps has an excellent app. Not sure if Iphones are supported or not but the maps are available offline

30-Aug-17
Avenza works as advertised, used it off/on for a cpl years.

OnX will be tough to beat as a full service Internet/in the field solution if they add the capabilities they've talked about. I'm using it along side my Garmin currently. It's just lacking some capability I need.

Never used Gia but it seems to have a following.

iPhone 5, latest iOS

30-Aug-17
OnX is the best one to use, Gaia gps also works offline. Either one would work well for you.

31-Aug-17
GAIA GPS app for me. NWT to Mexican border, using "Images and Roads" .....never a complaint. Beats the heck out of a regular GPS.

31-Aug-17
Gaia for me.

31-Aug-17
I use GAIA and it works great. Might give OnXmaps a try as well at some point

31-Aug-17
I liked GAIA when I had an Iphone. I have not been impressed with OnX at all.

31-Aug-17
Not familiar with the digital version but I've used paper Flatline Maps elk hunting in Arizona and they are excellent. Lots of info on their maps.

31-Aug-17
I just use Google Maps. I download maps offline and you can use them in your area. The GPS will update your location, you can drop pins, etc.

31-Aug-17
So I am still confused on using GPS on your phone. The places I go do NOT have any cell service so I have to put my phone on "airplane mode" or the battery is dead within a very short time. I have never been able to get any gps info from my phone when it is in airplane mode. So how do you use a phone for gps in a canyon in Colorado that gets zero cell signal?

31-Aug-17
Where I elk hunt there is usually no signal but the gps works fine. You download the map of your area (using OnX) and then it will display the map (sat, topo, or combo), your waypoints, location etc.

Battery life is an issue but just take it out of airplane mode when using it or turn it all the way off until you need it. I leave mine on all day in my elk spot because I get an occasional blip of service when up high and might get a text from a buddy hunting the same area. I can recharge every night.

Should add I don't have a solution for a week long hunt away from charging so I take my regular gps.

31-Aug-17
Early iphones needed service for the gps to work but that's been fixed for some time.

To test, simply create an account at OnXmaps.com then use your phone app store to download and install the phone app. The web map at onxmaps.com will automatically synch with your phone for waypoints and tracks. On the phone side, while you have wifi, click "off-grid" and you can save maps for use later when you have no service (save new map) To test, set the phone to airplane mode then click "off grid" on the lower task bar of the app. It should automatically be in "offline" mode. If the saved map is for an area where you are currently sitting, your position will show on the map.

31-Aug-17
... ahhh, the crumbs we leave behind as we move forward thru time and space ...

31-Aug-17
I use OnX for my aerial imagery and ownership and then I use Avenze for Forest Service maps and travel restrictions, etc where I hunt. It's a great combo for me. They both have pluses and minuses.

31-Aug-17
Great info so far. You guys with OnX, what are the limitations?

31-Aug-17
For me, I use geo referenced raster images (forest maps, travel mgmt areas, etc) on my garmin and need to be able to get those into the web map as well as onto the phone. I need to be able to import/export kmz, shp, gpx files.

Private land/forest/blm layer on the phone app is needed too. I believe those layers were stripped from the phone with the new version. I don't have a paid sub to know for sure though, just saw some grumblings about those layers not being available on the phone side.

A battery pack like the anker e5 will charge the phone multiple times. Several choices for those.

04-Sep-17

Sean McConnell's embedded Photo
Sean McConnell's embedded Photo
I use Gaia GPS app for my iPhone. Best 9.99 ever.

04-Sep-17
Do the Gaia and OnX apps provide "go to" navigation to waypoints?

05-Sep-17
If my IPhone gets a signal, I'm not far enough into the mountains.

05-Sep-17
Signal is irrelevant

05-Sep-17
pirogue - the app does not require a cell signal to work. You could be anywhere :)

• Sitka Gear