Drahthaar 03-Sep-17
GhostBird 03-Sep-17
Buffalo1 03-Sep-17
Buffalo1 03-Sep-17
Zebrakiller 03-Sep-17
Chief 419 05-Sep-17
Keef 06-Sep-17
01-Sep-17
I recently returned from a hunt in South Africa. The hunt was with Pelser Bowhunting Adventures. The concession is located in northwest South Africa in the Waterburg Mountain region. Elevation in this area ranges from 3900’ to 4200 ‘ elevation. The terrain is a mixture of bushveld and mountain scrub thorn bushes and rocks. My months of training in the gym greatly helped to me to maneuver in the higher than normal elevations and dealing with stamina for my age.

This hunt was an auction donation hunt given by Pelser Bowhunting Adventures to the Dallas Safari Club Convention in January 2017. This was a 10-day bowhunt for hunter & non-hunter for five species (bush pig at night, mountain reedbuck, blue wildebeest, impala and baboon). This hunt provided me an opportunity to hunt 2 previously hunted species and 3 new species.

What attracted me to this hunt was the fact that it is an exclusive bowhunting only concession. The only time a firearm is use is possibly during a recovery of a wounded animal.

Pelser Bowhunting Adventures is owned and operated by two very experienced bow hunters, Willie Pelser and Corey Schaefer. The facility has a very nice lighted practice facility which includes a repair area for working on bows and arrows.

Pelser Bowhunting Adventures hunts a max of six hunters and only hunt during the dark moon. Each hunter is provided a private chalet for lodging. A large common building is the gathering facility and where meals are provided. Willie’s wife, Janice, does a great job with providing evening meals with a variety of African cuisine, vegetables and deserts. I share my hunt with two crossbow hunters from Michigan. Both hunters were former vertical bow shooters, but due to age and physical limitations they had converted to crossbows.

The concession offers 12well-constructed, roomy blinds on the waterholes. Average shot distance is 12-20 yards. The waterholes offer animals water, mineral blocks, lucerne (alfalfa hay) and protein pellets. Game cameras are utilized to provide info on what species are visiting the various waterholes. I hunted seven different waterholes during my hunt and saw 6-8 different species of game per day.

Pelser Bowhunting Adventures utilizes modern transportation vehicles and excellent trackers and skinners. The hunt is conducted in a professional and reliable, punctual manner.

During the hunt the wind and cooler weather were factors in game movement. In spite of the less than favorable weather conditions I shot seven animals and recovered five animals. I lost two baboons. I would like to express my appreciation to both Chief 419 and Bigpizzaman for their great tips and advice for hunting baboons. Hunting baboon was a truly humbling experience. I hunted bush pig at three nights, but did not score. All five of my recovered animals were trophy grade quality. Two of my animals scored SCI Silver (blue wildebeest and klipspringer). The other three animals (warthog, waterbuck and impala) scored Bronze Medal.

Willie is a SCI Certified Master Measurer. Corey is a measurer for Trophy Game Animals of the World. Therefore, animals can be measured before ever departing South Africa. This is a great service for hunters interested in obtaining measurement of animals. I have already submitted my entries to SCI for hopeful approval.

This was a fun hunt and I enjoyed hunting a totally different terrain than what I have never hunted in Africa. Even though I did not collect all of the animals in my package deal, but I did add two new species to my animal species list and I upgraded my trophy scores for two species I had previously taken. In summary, I would define my adventure as a success.

01-Sep-17

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
"Sucker Bait"- first afternoon he came in to test the waters before the herd entered the waterhole. He busted me and gently walked away from the waterhole. Never got to see the herd.
"Sucker Bait"- first afternoon he came in to test the waters before the herd entered the waterhole. He busted me and gently walked away from the waterhole. Never got to see the herd.

01-Sep-17

01-Sep-17

01-Sep-17

01-Sep-17

"Big Boy"- unbelievable sized Livingston eland bull
"Big Boy"- unbelievable sized Livingston eland bull

01-Sep-17

01-Sep-17

My "crowned jewel" of the hunt !!
My "crowned jewel" of the hunt !!

01-Sep-17
I've been waiting on this thread Greg ! Nice animals, and sounds like a great trip. Sorry about the baboons, I would really like to have seen you get one. They must be tough !

What was your arrow setup on this trip ?

01-Sep-17
I carried 2 bows- both Elite Synergy 55#@28.5". Easton Axis 400 shafts (9.8 gpi) 75 gr. HIT inserts, 125 gr. Woodsmen Elite and 125 gr. VPA BH's. 7" arrow wrap & 4 RH Blazer vanes. Lighted nocks or equally weighted regular nocks. Total arrow weight 515 gr. HHA single-pin sights (.019 & .029). Drop away rest and front and rear B-stinger stabilizers.

I has pass thru's on warthog, blue wildebeest, impala and klipspringer. Buried shaft to arrow wrap on waterbuck (quartering away shot).

01-Sep-17
Wow! Great adventure and great write up! Sucks that you lost the baboons. Awesome animals! Congrats!

01-Sep-17
Very nice Greg. Congrats!

Are the horns on your waterbuck broomed, or is it just the camera angle? Also, is there a drying period for SCI animals similar to P&Y and B&C?

01-Sep-17
Camera angle. Nice rounded forward horns. Bull was 8 yrs. old and had lost about 3" length on each horn. Thus, he was past "prime"- just an "old man" wandering aimlessly thru the bush.

No 60-day waiting on SCI unless it is a "Top-10" I believe, then another 60-day measurement required. My animals were measured in Africa, I brought my forms home with me and have already submitted apps/photos to SCI. They received them this aft.

02-Sep-17
Nice critters! Looks like you had a great hunt! We hunted with Willie and his dad when they were at Bushman. That was a while ago. They're good people!

02-Sep-17
Steff,

When looking at the SCI record book in African game, Nico Pelser's name probably appears more than any other PH's name.

I can assure you that the acorn, Willie, did fall too far from the tree. He is one of the youngest certified PH's in RSA. He was certified at 14, began guiding at 16 and was DG certified at 21. He is now only 38. A real gentleman and top-notch PH.

02-Sep-17
Great write up Greg, looks like that DSC seminar was worth the trip to Dallas and you paid attention. Sounds like a successful hunt and sure enjoyed the pictures.

02-Sep-17
Good stuff Greg. Congrats on a great adventure.

02-Sep-17
Congrats Greg!!!!!

Mark

02-Sep-17
Good going Greg. Nice hunt for sure. Glad you connected on that nice Klipspringer of which I am envious. What was the story on that stud eland bull? Was he a breeder bull or was he available to hunt? To think those antelope can jump an 8 foot fence is mind boggling. Nice job!

02-Sep-17
Greg, wish I could have been along with you. Beautiful trophies, sound like a great adventure. That bull Eland has my name one it , he has it all. will call you when I get to Huston. Forrest

02-Sep-17

Check this neck out !!
Check this neck out !!
AZ-Rich,

Eland bull has an estimated 2 more years of breeding left then he will no longer be protected and will be a "free agent". Estimated at about 2200#

02-Sep-17

Look at the size difference between Big Boy and a mature cow !
Look at the size difference between Big Boy and a mature cow !

02-Sep-17
Beautiful animal ! Did your release finger get twitchy ? :-)

02-Sep-17
Beautiful animal ! Did your release finger get twitchy ? :-)

03-Sep-17
Don,

I never had the urge-I've got 2 beautiful eland on the wall. I just enjoyed photographing and watching him.

03-Sep-17
2 more years, just right, new the bull Eland had my name on him. Forrest

03-Sep-17
Congratulations Greg...Fantastic. Love the Klippie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-Sep-17
Out of all of animals I was really tempted by this nyala bull. This nyala really had it all- fantastic horns, great skin, etc. However, I have already taken one nice nyala on an earlier trip to Africa and I had exhausted my budget. Henceforth, It was his lucky day and I just enjoyed the moments watching and photographing him.

03-Sep-17

"The Great Temptation"

03-Sep-17
Awesome stuff

05-Sep-17
Congrats on another African adventure! Sorry to hear about the baboons. They are a very worthy trophy. Amazing how the game animals can't see you in a hide, but a baboon will pick you out in the far back corner of the hide. You'll get one on the next trip.

You took some great animals, got to hunt with new people and hunted in the Waterburg Mts. in RSA. It doesn't get much better. I shot my kudu in the Waterburg Mts. Beautiful scenery to hunt in. Glad you had another trip of a lifetime.

06-Sep-17
Way to go Greg. I was hunting and missed your post, but now I'm caught up. Good hunting this fall.

• Sitka Gear